View Diary: Sunday Talk - Spring Gala (324 comments)

•  Wasn't the first one to say it. (2+ / 0-)
    StrayCat, spotDawa

Many similar comments above.  And no man is ever unhappy to be told that his wife is hot.  At least I'm not; nor are any other men I know.

Four hundred years ago, we were all illegal aliens according to the Comanche.

by DC Pol Sci on Sun May 07, 2006 at 08:53:09 AM PDT

•  May I gently point out (4+ / 0-)
      DC Pol Sci, L0kI, Chinton, StrayCat

that you seem to completely ignore "the wife."  Perhaps she may havc some feelings about the nature of the comments, as flattering as you may think they are.  She is a professional woman who performed a demanding and dangerous job that required skill, intelligence and strategic capabilities.  You must admit that for a woman with those credentials, being reduced to the status of a "hot babe" would not necessarily be flattering.  Just saying.

Do the windows open? -- Julie Hecht

by vigilant meerkat on Sun May 07, 2006 at 09:28:53 AM PDT

•  As someone who is also married... (4+ / 0-)

...to a professional woman who performs a demanding job and who is likewise exceptionally attractive, I certainly was not "reducing" Valerie Wilson to any sort of characterization.

It is possible for a woman to be successful and attractive (it is possible for a man to be successful and attractive, too, of course).  Most people I know would like to be both.  Commenting on one aspect is not meant at all to detract from the importance of the other aspect.

I think all of us know that Valerie Wilson is a highly successful professional woman and have respected her for months not only for her success but for her intestinal fortitude.  I'm not sure all of us knew before today that she appears to be exceptionally attractive as well.

Might I also point out, just to gently rib you a tad, that, following the signing of her seven-figure book contract, she is also now rich.  Extremely intelligent, highly motivated, professionally successful, hot, and rich.  Sounds like Mr. Wilson has himself an incredible catch and that Mrs. Wilson is an incredible human being in a multiplicity of different ways.

Four hundred years ago, we were all illegal aliens according to the Comanche.

by DC Pol Sci on Sun May 07, 2006 at 10:20:11 AM PDT

•  Yep... (1+ / 0-)
          vigilant meerkat

nothing makes a person incredible like being rich...

Since we're all just joshing around...

-9.13, -7.79 Remember, Remember, the Fifth of November.

by L0kI on Sun May 07, 2006 at 11:06:08 AM PDT

•  Enough said (1+ / 0-)
          DC Pol Sci

just responding to this:  "no man is ever unhappy to be told that his wife is hot."  From your response, I would say you got the intended message.

Do the windows open? -- Julie Hecht

by vigilant meerkat on Sun May 07, 2006 at 11:50:37 AM PDT

•  I wonder if the correspondents dinner (0+ / 0-)

was the first time W ever sat in the same room with VP and had a chance to see just how gorgeous she is and compare her to Laura? Heh, heh.

One simply has to ask, who would be stupid enough to marry W?

"That story is not worth the paper it's rotten on."--Dorothy Parker

by martyc35 on Sun May 07, 2006 at 12:34:30 PM PDT

•  I had the intended message all along. (3+ / 0-)

I just forgot that around these parts, one must always clarify that a woman's looks are not all she's about, lest feminists (and I consider myself one) become offended.  Anyone who knows me knows that I could never possibly mean such a thing.

When anonymous, though, and when one's posts are subject to being read by umpteen zillion people, one should be more aware of such things.  God (in her infinite wisdom) knows that women have reason enough to fear that it's the old pedestal mentality at work if they don't know the man who's making the remarks.

For my lack of awareness of the way my statement could have been mis-taken, I apologize.

Four hundred years ago, we were all illegal aliens according to the Comanche.

by DC Pol Sci on Sun May 07, 2006 at 01:30:04 PM PDT

•  No need to apologize (0+ / 0-)

but I appreciate your urge to offer one.  I must admit that I was reacting to a number of comments upthread from yours as well, and yours just put me over into that zone where I felt compelled to say something.

I think both these fine people are truly gorgeous and don't find it offensive to read comments noting that.  But as you must know, being married to an accomplished and attractive woman yourself, the fact that the husband is okay with a comment made about his wife does not mean the wife will be equally pleased.

But you are right -- in some critical respects we are all strangers here and subject to being misread.  I am a relative newcomer to this community, so I don't even know you in the cyberspace sense.  Your comments reflect a sensitivity I did not pick up in the comment to which I was responding.  I appreciate your willingness to clarify.  Peace.

Do the windows open? -- Julie Hecht