View Diary: CT-Sen: Ned Lamont is on the ballot! (150 comments)

•  Plausible, but ... (1+ / 0-)
    zeke L
    ... if we've learned one thing from the entire three years of netroots enthusiasm, we've learned that the establishment can count, and the insurgency can't.

None Dare Call It Stupid!

by RonK Seattle on Sat May 20, 2006 at 09:08:39 AM PDT

•  Fair enough. But (0+ / 0-)

have you read this? (link via Atrios)  You're right about the ability to count, but it does also seem like the Lierbemen got ambushed by this.

My apologies to students who took my U.S. Government class in the 90s: evidently the Constitution doesn't limit Presidential power after all. Who knew?

by Major Danby on Sat May 20, 2006 at 12:38:33 PM PDT

•  I read that, I don't see any sign of surprise (0+ / 0-)
        Just confirmation that Lieberman can count. McEnroe, BTW, lost objectivity a long way back, and his accuracy in tracking and reproting the race the has suffered accordingly.

Some moderately high elected's and I coached a few ambitious 2nd-graders who wanted to know want they had to do to get elected and sit in the big chairs and use the gilt-and-marble toilets when they grew up.

"Read" said one elected. "Read, and read, and read, and read, and then read some more."

"Treat people right" said another "If you want to be elected, people who know you are going to talk about you to people who don't know you. You want them to say nice things about you, don't you?" (Nods 'yes'.) "Then get in the habit of treating people right."

"And learn to count" I added. "To sit in one of these chairs, you need to be able to count past twenty thousand." (Eyebrows up.) "To sit in the big chair in front, you have to count past one million!"

None Dare Call It Stupid!

by RonK Seattle on Sat May 20, 2006 at 04:34:22 PM PDT

•  True of the Supreme Court (0+ / 0-)

and of a whip position, but maybe a little overstated applied to popular elections?

Honestly, how high do you think Bush can count?

by Major Danby on Sat May 20, 2006 at 04:50:12 PM PDT

•  At least some of the 2nd graders got it (0+ / 0-)
            I'll settle for that.

Grown-ups are a little thick sometimes.

None Dare Call It Stupid!

by RonK Seattle on Sat May 20, 2006 at 06:08:06 PM PDT

•  Well, thanks for the gratuitious tweak, but (0+ / 0-)

I still don't quite get your bon mot.  Perhaps you can explain it to me like I'm a first grader.  Perhaps part of the explanation should be why the Lamont troops should have been expected to know what many of the small-delegation delegates, who according to McEnroe -- whom I'd hope you have a better rationale for disbelieving on this point than the mere assertion that he's lost his objectivity -- had been playing their cards so close to the vest that no one ought to have been expected to predict their votes.

I don't want to break up the love affair between you and your razor-sharp political instincts, but  I am eager to hear whatever it is you have to say said more clearly.

by Major Danby on Sat May 20, 2006 at 09:46:29 PM PDT