View Diary: Science Friday: Vegas Style (110 comments)

•  Excellent ... as always ... (3+ / 0-)

Couple comments ...

1.  You wrote that you are uncomfortable and an introvert in another diary about YK -- sitting and watching you run the science bloggers discussion, just didn't see it. Perhaps the 'knowing your role' made you comfortable, but I saw calm confidence in how you ran that quite interesting session.  Thus, from the bleachers, you hid it well -- and you seemed like someone really worth knowing face-to-face (and not 'just' electronically).
    1.  From that session, perhaps most striking to me were LondonYank's, Jerome a Paris', and a few other non-US based people's comments about how they were shocked that a "science" discussion spent so much of its time on religion. ... That they could not believe that this would be part of the discussion for a second in their countries ... Yet, how much time was spent in that session about the importance of reading the bible, volunteering in churches, etc ...?  I sort of had a reaction along these lines:  "I want my scientists reading scientific journals and learning (how to question themselves, learning from others work) in the pursuit of their fields, not worrying about reading religious texts simply to enable the practice of science. If they want to read the Bible -- great -- but I don't think we should expect or demand it of scientists (or anyone else)."  -- PS  italics for "the" Bible, because are we talking Torah? In general, no ... but the New Testament ... e.g, not reading "religious" texts, but the texts of a particular religion ...
    1. I regret missing the science panel but with a jam-packed calendar ... but THANK YOU for the quote from PZ Myers ... that is an amazing analogy ... and one that we should all try to inculcate into our discussions, fill newspapers with LTEs, etc ... Will go back and read through all the material from the panel now.  (Was it taped/such for watchin?)

9/11/05, Day 1469, A count worth keeping? Or, Osama Bin Forgotten?

by besieged by bush on Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 07:57:43 AM PDT

•  Yeah (3+ / 0-)

the event was densely packed, lots of stuff going on at the same time. There was no way to avoid that though, I saw the emails during planning and the organizers did everything they could to schedule it effectively while also juggling the availability of over 100 speakers and guests.

Thanks for the word son the caucus. It doesn't take much to point at people and say "You sir, in the high heels, go ahead." Plus I was among friends and had barred the media.

I'm not too terribly introverted when I'm among friends like at the caucus. What made me extra self conscious elsewhere was I was exhausted much of the time and trying to avoid being interviewed at length by the tradmed. Or even being recorded while I was talking to anyone else. Partly out of stage fright, but also because any poorly worded comment, any sentence which can be distorted or twisted and construed in an ugly or negative light will be used by Limbuagh/O'Reilly/Insty to smear the entire community. A few reporters tried chasing down with mikes and cameras, I avoided most of them. The NPR crew is the only ones I know of that got even a shred out of me.

You see Gina Cooper or Christy Hardin on C-span and they make it look easy. It's not fucking easy at all.

Read UTI, your free thought forum

by DarkSyde on Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 08:18:49 AM PDT

•  Sadly -- too many did not share your caution ... (0+ / 0-)

The worst, in mind, was of course the 'tin foil' hat idiocy ... which I have yet to see all over reporting on YKos, but perhaps that is because I am not spending my time watching FauxNews and checking Freeper sites.

PS:  Was not complaining about organizers.  Reality is that I come, in part, to DKos because there is such a wide range of quality material and quality people that make me think.  Probably would have found most sessions of interest / value but there are limits to how many places we can have our minds and bodies at the same time. (Hey, can you science bloggers start working on solving that one?)

9/11/05, Day 1469, A count worth keeping? Or, Osama Bin Forgotten?

by besieged by bush on Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 08:23:36 AM PDT

•  We must laugh at ourselves. (0+ / 0-)

I think the tinfoil contest was a perfect moment of silliness and self mockery.  There was plenty of serious work going on if only you looked.

We must never lose it, or sell it, or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

by Fabian on Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 08:51:18 AM PDT

•  We agree to disagree ... (0+ / 0-)

I think it had too much prominence (in center hall) and was far too visible to media.  If there were no media, no 'outsiders', I absolutely agree about the 'silliness and self mockery', but this 'self mockery' could easily be misunderstood (as it was, principally, inside humor) and easily misconstrued.  Why throw softballs (and not fast pitch ones) to our enemies?  This was a basic framing issue for me ... and I think this was bad framing for the community.

9/11/05, Day 1469, A count worth keeping? Or, Osama Bin Forgotten?

by besieged by bush on Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 08:55:01 AM PDT

•  I've seen some of the right wing commentary (1+ / 0-)
              besieged by bush

They were looking for some evidence of how extreme or strange or wacky attendees were.  They were forced to admit that the attendees were normal and nice and complained that the panels were boring.  They complained that the politicians were being politicians.  That's about it.  So when people who are not our target audience start showing tinfoil hats, I was not concerned.  I listened to the NPR coverage which was fair - and didn't mention tinfoil hats.  The little bit that I heard on cspan was totally impressive and I don't say that because I'm a fangirl.  I had the same question everyone did - we can blog, but can we deliver live in person?  People delivered in spades!

by Fabian on Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 09:14:39 AM PDT

•  Except for the blogger coverage (0+ / 0-)

It was either derivative --- relying on quotes from the mainstream press, instead of on their own notetaking or questioning --- or absent of real content.  I blogged yesterday about this --- yearlykos statistics was the title, if anyone's interested.  I looked specifically at the blogging done about the four potential presidential candidates who were there.  Nagourney wrote an article where he got some of them to say something about how important the bloggers were.  Those quotes were frequently passed around with little comment.  There were only six decent blogs about the content of what any of these four men said while at YearlyKos.  Three for Clark covering the science panel and three for Warner.  None for Vilsack or Richardson.

•  Listening to NPR this morning. (1+ / 0-)
          besieged by bush

They had an immigration lawyer on talking about her experiences with her family's immigration and aculturation in America.  She did really well - except for the 'Valley Girl' that kept creeping into her voice.  She sounded a little too high pitched, spoke a touch fast and sounded excited/anxious.  I winced a little for her.  Remember, this is a lawyer for whom words are her living.

Now imagine Jane Q Blogger being asked questions - no training, no preparation and out of hours of recording, the reporter will splice only a portion into a story.  Sound bites are not always our friends.

by Fabian on Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 09:02:18 AM PDT