View Diary: Can we put a Dr. in the House? (193 comments)

•  My daughter and I both voted. I hope (7+ / 0-)

this helps.  As a family physician, I would really, really, really like to meet any other doctor who doesn't side with the AMA and to have one representing the health care needs of the people in this country would be outstanding!!!!  Good luck to you both!!  I'm checking out this group, PNHP.  I have never heard of it.

•  Thanks for the vote! (3+ / 0-)
      SarahLee, Da Buddy, llbear

With any luck we can get Doc Gill on here to post his own stories from the E.R.  He is always thrilled when he finds a like-minded physician.

You can conatact his campaign by writing jbowling@gill2006.com or you can contribute via a secure on-line system.

Respectfully,
      John Laesch

Democratic Congressional Candidate (IL CD 14) www.john06.com Why yes, yes I am running against the Speaker of the House :)

by John Laesch on Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 08:32:00 PM PDT

•  Hey, Doc - check out Dr. Quentin Young (2+ / 0-)
      SarahLee, docangel

through google.  I think the stories about what he has done, & how he has done it, exceed the web site.  IMHO. I personally appreciate doctors with your attitude.  Thank you so much.

Free the Congress - Retire Denny Hastert - donate to, work for, and vote for John Laesch

by llbear on Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 09:36:10 PM PDT

•  Well, thank you!!! Except living in Wyoming, it (1+ / 0-)
        kurt

got me fired from my job as a practicing physician and, given the "good-old boy" mentality that continues to be pervasive here, I have been unable to open my own practice (can't get hospital privileges) and can't find another job as a physician in someone else's practice.  It sucks.  I have basically decided I will probably never again practice, unless I am someday able to go abroad with Doctors Without Borders or something (when the kids are finally out of college and no longer dependent on us).  BUT I would like to be more active politically in areas other than Wyoming.  It is just too disheartening to try and accomplish anything here.  I will check out Dr. Young and his website and thanks for the information!!!  If it wasn't for dkos, I might not have stayed out of major depression over the whole issue.  Ah.  Well.  Just another day in Bush's wonderful America.

•  Doc - you need to call Quentin Young (2+ / 0-)
          Da Buddy, kurt

Monday morning.  I am serious about this.  Share every single nitty, gritty detail.  They are a network, too.  I haven't talked with Quentin for a long time, but believe me, you will find some help and some answers.

Check out my bio - the headhunter part.  What I didn't say was that I specialized in bio-medical patent attorneys.  Check out the AIDS stuff. Then say - what the hell - it's a phone call.

by llbear on Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 11:00:32 PM PDT

•  Thank you so much for so much support. (4+ / 0-)
            AllisonInSeattle, Da Buddy, llbear, kurt

I'm not sure I'll call.  I seriously have trouble with trusting that this can ever change and we (my family and I) have almost gotten to the point that we have accepted it.  I don't know, but I'll definitely think about it.  Thank you so very much.  Just the thought that there are other physicians in this country who might be willing to listen to my story is helpful.  You will never know how helpful.  Sincere thanks.

•  Remember - it's only a phone call (1+ / 0-)
              kurt

not a committment.

Quentin Young is one of the finest and most caring human beings I've ever met - and so are his people.  This is what they do.

But e-mail me.  I'll ask you some really outrageous questions, make you laugh, and might give you a fresh take on things.

By the way - not that this applies to you, but if there are friends who have stepped over the line with selfmedication or other stuff, they have special experience there, too.

by llbear on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 12:12:34 AM PDT

•  I'm still thinking about it. I don't know how t (0+ / 0-)

email you, but I look forward to being made to laugh.  I have never had problems with self-medicating and have no friends who have had those problems.  My biggest problem was that I didn't charge enough for office visits and I didn't spend little enough time with each patient.

•  Hopefully this will help, too (1+ / 0-)
              llbear

My doc used to be in private practice. Joined some type of group practice, which now is a fairly large medical entity in greater Seattle area. (medical entity, couldn't think of something better to call it...) He's moved at least 4 times to different offices.

Now he's "manager" at the site he works at. About 4 docs, and the usual cast that plants you in waiting room, ushers you in to sit more in a tiny room by yoursef, ushers you back to the front, where they bill you.

I'm self-pay, no insurance. When he was in PP (private practice), he used to slash the usual fee, because he knew I was writing him a check at the moment. Wasn't going to cost him to bill or wrangle with insurance. I appreciated it, truly.

Last year I mentioned to him that after seeing the female doc at the clinic that I'd been billed $500. $300 for the appointment (female ck-up), and $200 for lab tests. But the original bill for the appt was $430. ...

My doc told me how/why they now had a 30% discount for self-pay patients. He proposed it about 3 years previously at meetings. Finally everyone agreed it was a good idea, after a year or so. But the bean counters said, "We have to make computer changes in the paperwork, blah blah." He said OK. He waited a year, 18 months, probably 2 years. Still the same.

So one day he had a self-pay patient. He wrote "30% discount" on their paperwork and sent to front desk, which called him to see what was up. "Charge 30% less, if they pay in full now," he said. He told the other docs in his clinic to do the same, and kept it up himself.

Then the bean counters called him up. "Sputter, what? We're not ready! We told you to wait! How can you do this?" He said, "You've had all the time in the world to get ready. We're going to keep it up."

He said it was system-wide in this huge medical provider in our area... in two weeks! Two weeks it took them.

How about that?

Be good to each other. It matters.

by AllisonInSeattle on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 10:54:58 AM PDT

•  That is awesome!!! (1+ / 0-)
                AllisonInSeattle

How lucky you are to have such a humanist for a physician.

•  His practice includes herbal remedies, too (0+ / 0-)

or did before he got sucked quite so far into this huge "medical" machine. And vitamins -- preventive medicine. GASP!!

Great guy.

Thoughth that would cheer you up!

What're you doing for work now??

Be good to each other. It matters.

by AllisonInSeattle on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 05:29:36 PM PDT

•  Medical transcription. It pays the bills, (1+ / 0-)
                    llbear

though.  I actually initially made as much doing this as I ever did as a physician (since I'm not a specialist and have always worked for someone else), but because of outsourcing to India, I have had problems getting and keeping a good job.  The  good thing about it is that it allows me to work from home - which I found was incredibly important to my children.  They never complained when I worked in an office - and often visited, but they really, really, really like having me home more.  Who knew?

•  Sweet about you being home (1+ / 0-)
                      docangel

Dagnabit about the outsourcing. (Don't they have jobs they could do for their OWN country there? I mean, I heard there are improvements to be made locally....)

Sweet about the kids being happy to have you there. How old's the youngest now? How long've you been doing this work?

Be good to each other. It matters.

by AllisonInSeattle on Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 11:55:56 PM PDT

•  I started doing it in 2000 and now my youngest is (0+ / 0-)

19 and will be a sophomore in college.  However, it meant that when my oldest had a baby at the ripe old age of 19, I could babysit for her while she took classes at the local community college and was that ever sweet.  I love being a grandparent even more than I love being a parent!!

•  ER? (2+ / 0-)
          AllisonInSeattle, llbear

What about weekend "cover shifts" in a small to medium sized hospital OUTSIDE of Wyoming? Drive/fly down, work 48 hr. shift (most have sleeping qtrs. for when things are slow) then head home. One or two weekends a month at least keeps you from getting "rusty".

Dr. Gill can probably hook you up with one of the companies that provide ER Docs on a PRN basis.

Or better yet, open a free-standing Urgent Care clinic...Those docs don't NEED (and most here in Chicago don't HAVE) hospital privileges. Anyone who needs to be admitted is shipped off to ER via ambulance.

Besides, it's great revenge. It would REALLY piss off the hospital, for cutting into their ER traffic. Or, you could just THREATEN to open one...Use that as leverage to get privileges!

"Teenagers are God's punishment for enjoying sex" ~Some Religious Fanatic

by Da Buddy on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 07:35:38 AM PDT

•  Good ideas, but I am board-certified in family (2+ / 0-)
            Da Buddy, llbear

practice and would not feel comfortable working in a busy ER any more.  It's been too long since I did a lot of the procedures that those doctors need to be able to do.  Plus, I'm sure I couldn't afford the malpractice insurance anyway. Actually, there is already a free-standing urgent care clinic in our town and I doubt we could support another one.  I was offered a job there, but the Board of Medicine nixed the idea of a doctor being an employee of and also sponsor of the physician assistant who owns it.  However, thanks for your input and it warms my heart that there so many people who don't even know me care.

•  Making nightly rounds (1+ / 0-)
              docangel

Checking up on how the good doctor is being cared for.  Pretty good quality care, I'd say.

Amazing the number of people who have done the same since this diary went quiet.

by llbear on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 10:23:31 PM PDT

•  also check out my comment below (1+ / 0-)
      Da Buddy

about the archimedes movement.

weather forecast

The palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise. - Paine

by Cedwyn on Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 10:44:16 PM PDT

•  docangel (0+ / 0-)

Please update the email address in your profile. Tried to send you some info, but email "bounced".

"Teenagers are God's punishment for enjoying sex" ~Some Religious Fanatic