View Diary: Can we put a Dr. in the House? (193 comments)

•  Doc - you need to call Quentin Young (2+ / 0-)
    Da Buddy, kurt

Monday morning.  I am serious about this.  Share every single nitty, gritty detail.  They are a network, too.  I haven't talked with Quentin for a long time, but believe me, you will find some help and some answers.

Check out my bio - the headhunter part.  What I didn't say was that I specialized in bio-medical patent attorneys.  Check out the AIDS stuff. Then say - what the hell - it's a phone call.

Free the Congress - Retire Denny Hastert - donate to, work for, and vote for John Laesch

by llbear on Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 11:00:32 PM PDT

•  Thank you so much for so much support. (4+ / 0-)
      AllisonInSeattle, Da Buddy, llbear, kurt

I'm not sure I'll call.  I seriously have trouble with trusting that this can ever change and we (my family and I) have almost gotten to the point that we have accepted it.  I don't know, but I'll definitely think about it.  Thank you so very much.  Just the thought that there are other physicians in this country who might be willing to listen to my story is helpful.  You will never know how helpful.  Sincere thanks.

•  Remember - it's only a phone call (1+ / 0-)
        kurt

not a committment.

Quentin Young is one of the finest and most caring human beings I've ever met - and so are his people.  This is what they do.

But e-mail me.  I'll ask you some really outrageous questions, make you laugh, and might give you a fresh take on things.

By the way - not that this applies to you, but if there are friends who have stepped over the line with selfmedication or other stuff, they have special experience there, too.

by llbear on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 12:12:34 AM PDT

•  I'm still thinking about it. I don't know how t (0+ / 0-)

email you, but I look forward to being made to laugh.  I have never had problems with self-medicating and have no friends who have had those problems.  My biggest problem was that I didn't charge enough for office visits and I didn't spend little enough time with each patient.

•  Hopefully this will help, too (1+ / 0-)
        llbear

My doc used to be in private practice. Joined some type of group practice, which now is a fairly large medical entity in greater Seattle area. (medical entity, couldn't think of something better to call it...) He's moved at least 4 times to different offices.

Now he's "manager" at the site he works at. About 4 docs, and the usual cast that plants you in waiting room, ushers you in to sit more in a tiny room by yoursef, ushers you back to the front, where they bill you.

I'm self-pay, no insurance. When he was in PP (private practice), he used to slash the usual fee, because he knew I was writing him a check at the moment. Wasn't going to cost him to bill or wrangle with insurance. I appreciated it, truly.

Last year I mentioned to him that after seeing the female doc at the clinic that I'd been billed $500. $300 for the appointment (female ck-up), and $200 for lab tests. But the original bill for the appt was $430. ...

My doc told me how/why they now had a 30% discount for self-pay patients. He proposed it about 3 years previously at meetings. Finally everyone agreed it was a good idea, after a year or so. But the bean counters said, "We have to make computer changes in the paperwork, blah blah." He said OK. He waited a year, 18 months, probably 2 years. Still the same.

So one day he had a self-pay patient. He wrote "30% discount" on their paperwork and sent to front desk, which called him to see what was up. "Charge 30% less, if they pay in full now," he said. He told the other docs in his clinic to do the same, and kept it up himself.

Then the bean counters called him up. "Sputter, what? We're not ready! We told you to wait! How can you do this?" He said, "You've had all the time in the world to get ready. We're going to keep it up."

He said it was system-wide in this huge medical provider in our area... in two weeks! Two weeks it took them.

How about that?

Be good to each other. It matters.

by AllisonInSeattle on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 10:54:58 AM PDT

•  That is awesome!!! (1+ / 0-)
          AllisonInSeattle

How lucky you are to have such a humanist for a physician.

•  His practice includes herbal remedies, too (0+ / 0-)

or did before he got sucked quite so far into this huge "medical" machine. And vitamins -- preventive medicine. GASP!!

Great guy.

Thoughth that would cheer you up!

What're you doing for work now??

Be good to each other. It matters.

by AllisonInSeattle on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 05:29:36 PM PDT

•  Medical transcription. It pays the bills, (1+ / 0-)
              llbear

though.  I actually initially made as much doing this as I ever did as a physician (since I'm not a specialist and have always worked for someone else), but because of outsourcing to India, I have had problems getting and keeping a good job.  The  good thing about it is that it allows me to work from home - which I found was incredibly important to my children.  They never complained when I worked in an office - and often visited, but they really, really, really like having me home more.  Who knew?

•  Sweet about you being home (1+ / 0-)
                docangel

Dagnabit about the outsourcing. (Don't they have jobs they could do for their OWN country there? I mean, I heard there are improvements to be made locally....)

Sweet about the kids being happy to have you there. How old's the youngest now? How long've you been doing this work?

Be good to each other. It matters.

by AllisonInSeattle on Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 11:55:56 PM PDT

•  I started doing it in 2000 and now my youngest is (0+ / 0-)

19 and will be a sophomore in college.  However, it meant that when my oldest had a baby at the ripe old age of 19, I could babysit for her while she took classes at the local community college and was that ever sweet.  I love being a grandparent even more than I love being a parent!!

•  Wow (1+ / 0-)
                    docangel

Great reply. Glad to meet you -- sounds like you're making ends meet there, but would like to practice your trade. Wish you the greatest success in whatever you do.

Yay on the kids here, too. Nothing's better than kids.

Be good to each other. It matters.

by AllisonInSeattle on Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 05:17:17 PM PDT

• Culture (28)
  • Media (27)
  • Climate Change (26)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Texas (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site