View Diary: KS-Gov, AG: Sebelius leads Dem surge (274 comments)

•  Risky not to (6+ / 0-)

First, I predict the republicans are going to run a woman on the ticket in 2008. I think it will be Condoleezza Rice. I think their strategy will be to deflect negatives away from their nominee and their party's policies this way. The talk will be about her being a woman or her being the first black woman — and try to invoke their "Party of Lincoln" tactic.

Second, which war do you write of?

•  I think you give the republicans too much (2+ / 0-)
      sj, Miss Blue

credit and sensibility.  No way these racist, sexist, power-hungry jerks are going to let a black 'girl' run for president.  Even if it is Condi.  Their minds just could not cope with such a paradigm shift.  Not only that, but they would risk alienating their base in a big way.

"Silflay hraka u embleer rah!" --Bigwig

by Reepicheep on Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 12:03:51 PM PDT

•  Hillary defense plan (1+ / 0-)
        Miss Blue

I think running Rice on the ticket as VP may be the republicans strategy if Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee. If Clinton some how manages to snooker the early primary voters to get the early lead, watch the republicans answer with a woman on the ticket for the VP slot. The moderate and corporate republicans want Clinton to run 2008, but the republians will need to counter her with another woman on their ticket.

•  If it's a woman, and the R's don't lose the Sen. (1+ / 0-)
          Magnifico

If it's a woman and the Republicans don't lose the Senate in '06 then Liddy Dole might get selected.  She has a lot of things on her resume that look good (Red Cross) and she seems to fit the attack dog role better than Condi would (the Republicans first rule in the modern era is that the VP must serve as the attack dog, which is why Dan Quayle was less of a liability than he seemed in '92 from political terms).  Other candidates to keep an eye on include Kay Bailey Hutchinson, or possibly Jodi Rell (in the unlikely event that the Republicans want to try to make the Dems play defense in New England).  But Condi just doesn't bring enough to the table (not an attack dog, no geographical advantage, never run in an election, Bush inside which will be important if McCain is the nominee and runs a "return to normalcy" type campaign, etc.).

"An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot." - Thomas Paine

by Mister Gloom on Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 03:14:13 PM PDT

•  Are the WASPs really going to let Condi run? (1+ / 0-)
        Miss Blue

Realpolitik

I feel like we don't really know what's going on amongst the movers and shakers of the GOP.

I think about this with the fall of Tom Delay.  I know it's popular to think it's the legal troubles, but I ain't buying that the old line GOP establishment didn't think it could protect Delay and keep him in power.

Given that assumption, and we are seeing a split of egos or something in the upper echelons, Condi may be allowed to run.

Otherwise, we ain't going to see a Black woman at the head of that Party's ticket in my children's lifetime -- too many Cigar smoking CEO's and tire-kicken good 'ol boys who only see black women working in kitchens, when they actually go into kitchens.

I'm just sayin...

•  Chevron Oil Tanker Condoleezza Rice (0+ / 0-)

From OpenSecrets:

What’s a girl gotta do to get a 130,000-ton oil tanker named after her? Ask Condi Rice. She so charmed Chevron’s board of directors that they named one of the company’s tankers after her. In addition to sitting on Chevron’s board, Rice was also a director at two other multinationals—brokerage firm Charles Schwab and insurance company Transamerica Corp.

Rice is corporate America. The republicans need her. She provides them cover for their harmful policies.

•  I agree partialy... (0+ / 0-)

Good point.  I can see that.

However.  This is a woman who, if I remember correctly, wanted to be the next commissioner of the NFL until drafted by GB II.  Given her background I think she is her own woman.

I think the behavior we see in her now is more of a sycophant, and not of a puppet.

As THE executive, I think she'd want to be The Executive.

And that's where I part ways here, I think.

The first time she doesn't say "Thanks for naming the tanker after me boys.  Now what can I do for you..." the money for her campaign will go to another WASP.

•  No, they'll rationalize Condi running... (1+ / 0-)
        Magnifico

....by saying she's not one of "them".

(By them, of course, I mean one of those radical uppity n-words.  That's what they fear - Jesse Jackson, Maxine Waters, Barack Obama, and other people who just don't know their place!

Same for gubernatorial candidates Ken Blackwell and Lynn Swann, and Senate candidates Steele and Florida's new candidate, ALAN KEYES!)

9-11 changed everything? Well, Katrina changed it back.

by varro on Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 12:58:09 PM PDT

•  My thoughts on Condi running (2+ / 0-)
          mainely49, Magnifico

Not that anybody cares...

My thought on Condi is that she will run and get a LOT of positive publicity from the Corporate Media.  Every Republican talking head out there will be gushing, “See, we’re not racist and sexist, we have a woman running for president, and she's black!  And, look here, the librul New York Times says that she is a first tier contender with McCain, Giuliani, Frist, Allen and Hagel.  See, see, we’re not racists!”

She will run in a few primaries and finish in 3rd or 4th place a few times and the Corporate Media will orgasm over her 8-10% showings before she drops out of her “historic” run for president.  (the media will conveniently forget Carol Moseley Braun...)

She is NOT a serious contender, however.  It is part of a long-term GOP strategy to siphon off a few points of the African American vote here and there, like the gay marriage issue in 2004.  The powers that be in the GOP know that those poor, rural white southerners that vote GOP because of moral values would either stay home, or vote Democrat, if a single black woman was on the ticket.

•  Pick one. (0+ / 0-)

We have several - it's a multiple choice question.  And it proves my point.

I just don't think America will put a woman in charge in a time of war.  Frankly, I don't think we'd do it if all was peaches and cream, but now, with half the freakin planet ready to blow, no way.

"But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore"--Prine Pay attention Georgie - 2550+ dead Americans. Jesus Christ, make it stop already.

by Miss Blue on Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 12:28:09 PM PDT

•  It's Condi, for sure (0+ / 0-)

That's why they keep pushing her into the forefront.  That's why she's in the ME right now.  She gets all the airtime these days (at least she can speak without smirking!).

I don't think the Repugs are so disturbed about race/gender--all they want is the loot!  If she's the way to do it, well, then, she's their gal.

Remember, if the R's can get 10-20% of the Black vote, well, there's no tomorrow for the rest of us.  Not for at least one generation.  And they'll do anything to make that happen.  Well, not anything--not providing health care for children or the elderly, or public education.

But they will certainly stand behind Condi if it means they still are able to suck from the trough (how the heck do you spell that work, anyway???_

"Do your best, and keep your sense of humor."--My Mom

by mainely49 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 01:46:23 PM PDT

•  not going to happen (0+ / 0-)

>>First, I predict the republicans are going to run a woman on the ticket in 2008. I think it will be Condoleezza Rice.<<</p>

Would you be willing to bet on it?  She's part of the face of the Iraq war, a Bush insider (the Republicans biggest hope in '08 is to make everyone forget Bush), has never run in an election before, and offers little geographical advantage.

More damaging yet is the fact that she isn't an attack dog as every Republican campaign has their VP for an attack dog:

1. Agnew
      1. Dole
      1. Bush Sr. (remember his debate with Ferraro, albeit he was more a "statesman" than the ones before)
      1. Quayle
      1. Chaney (both an attack dog and a statemen to calm fears about Bush's lack of foreign policy experience in 2000).

She hasn't show the killer instinct that the previous 5 have.  So there is very, very little chance that the Republicans pick her for VP.  And Cabinet secretaries just don't make the leap to Presidential nominee, especially when they've never been a candidate before.

by Mister Gloom on Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 03:05:10 PM PDT