View Diary: Teacher's Lounge: Looking ahead and behind (17 comments)

•  Cogent point about RYP.com... (2+ / 0-)
    TealVeal, cookiebear

...helps spread the word.  Yes, I am tough and I do expect the students to learn in order to earn a grade.  No grades are ever "given".

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sat Aug 05, 2006 at 09:12:48 AM PDT

•  just one story (1+ / 0-)
      rserven

A few years ago, I had a calculus I class. I was a bit too easy on them the first semester.

These folks signed up for me again.  Next semester, I was much harder on them and even barked at them.

My teaching evaluations went down; not terrible, but not the glowing BS that is expected around here.

My department chair told me to "cut it out".

But you know what?  That second semester, that class that rated me down actually IMPROVED their grades by about 1/2 of a letter grade per person (especially on the final exam)!

In other words, they learned more but liked it less.

So I went back to being Mr. Sunshine.  The next class gave me great evals but did terrible on the final.  But hey, it was easier on me, my department chair was satisifed, and that year I was a "great teacher"!  Never mind my class didn't learn diddly squat.

That is why I love having tenure. :-)

When liberals saw 9-11, we wondered how we could make the country safe. When conservatives saw 9-11, they saw an investment opportunity.

by onanyes on Sat Aug 05, 2006 at 12:18:01 PM PDT

•  tenure???????? (0+ / 0-)

why do you need tenure? not sayin nothin now. just askin just askin bbbbbbbbbbb

•  With tenure... (0+ / 0-)

...he can be a good teacher without having to worry about student evaluations, which are generally only reflective of what grade students expect to receive in the class, rather than factors like how much was learned.

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sun Aug 06, 2006 at 06:48:54 AM PDT

•  I expect flames (1+ / 0-)
          rserven

but to be brutally honest, "tenure" in this day and age makes sense at large research places; that way a hot shot, once he/she has proven themselves, can take a swing at a large, as yet unsolved problem.

It really doesn't make sense at a place like the one I teach at....not that I turned it down or anything. ;-)

Yeah, the "please the customer NOW" is a big pain in the neck (I'd rather my students be pleased with me 5-10 years after they graduated than now) but I can deal with it; every job has its share of unpleasant aspects.

by onanyes on Sun Aug 06, 2006 at 10:00:08 AM PDT

•  Having been through the tenure process... (1+ / 0-)
            onanyes

...twice now successfully, I've got to say the second time was harder to take seriously.

Robyn

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sun Aug 06, 2006 at 10:50:19 AM PDT

•  yeah... (1+ / 0-)
              rserven

my previous department chair (and also a friend) said that the main criteria for tenure was "getting enough votes".  Fortunately, we had a provost that listened to our department.

For example, one member who is 2 years my junior came up for tenure and promotion.  He didn't have nearly as many papers as I or the previous person had.

But one of his paper was of exceptional quality (frankly, better than any of mine); it was published by the finest research journal in his field.

We went to bat for him; our dean shot his promotion down but the provost did the right thing and gave him both.

by onanyes on Sun Aug 06, 2006 at 02:49:40 PM PDT

•  The Journal of Polymorphous Pervisity (1+ / 0-)
          rserven

is a spoof of psychology journals

One article was titled

The effect of tenure on faculty publication rates

the article was blank

:-)

Republicans worry about our souls and their bellies. Democrats worry about their souls and our bellies

by plf515 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 at 05:39:17 PM PDT