View Diary: CT-Sen Q-Poll: Lamont Leads Lieberman 51 - 45 (201 comments)

•  From Colbert and The Week appearances (2+ / 0-)
    iCaroline, greeseyparrot

I'm not surprised that Lamont is being closed on.  He had some good opportunities on the Colbert Report and on This Week to knock a few out of the park and he handled the questions merely adequately.

Laont is a political newbie and it shows. I'm still hopeful that his positions will outweigh his lack of experience against Lieberman's frankly very good camera presence and his positions.

Close the deal, Ned. Close the deal.

RULE OF LAW. That's all the reason you need to oppose Republicans.

by nightsweat on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 05:51:29 AM PDT

•  that's the equation (5+ / 0-)

Lamont hasn't made any major gaffes and he doesn't have to 'beat' Joe as much as be the viable ablternative.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 05:55:15 AM PDT

•  I'm not so sure (1+ / 0-)
        greeseyparrot

"Not as bad" is a good thing when you're already at the market and choosing between soap flakes, but this is the headline race, and if Lamont is seen as being merely "Not as bad" and a "viable alternative", he may not get out the vote enough to win.

I think he needs to be seen as a dynamic, positive force to get enough people to the polls to win.

RULE OF LAW. That's all the reason you need to oppose Republicans.

by nightsweat on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 06:38:54 AM PDT

•  Joe Lieberman lies about his positions. (8+ / 0-)

He's been in the Senate for eighteen years and hasn't done a thing about health care.  When he first got elected, I had a chance to talk to him, and I told him about the problems with health care in the U.S.A.  If he's really interested in values, then health care should be a top priority.  He promised me he would do something about it.  What did he do?  Nothing!  We started to get on to his real self when Clarence Thomas was appointed to the SC.  Lieberman refused to say how he would vote.  We called his office. When his turn came, he waited to vote until it was definite that Thomas would be approved.  Then he voted against him.  He did something similar with Alito by voting with Republicans for cloture and then voting against Alito.  Joe Lieberman is a professional liar.  When he loses he can go into the massage business with his friend George W. Bush.  That's about all this pair is good at, besides using politics for personal profit.

•  weak appearance on colbert? (4+ / 0-)

I thought he was outstanding. He came across as likable, good natured, stayed on topic and politely hammered Lieberman.

If the casualties of principle are not healed, the physical casualties will continue to mount.----Martin Luther King

by goobop on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 07:29:10 AM PDT

•  That's the definition (0+ / 0-)

of "adequate".  I agree with nightsweat.  Hee came off as nervous and a little too eagar, I thought.  Spoke in fits and starts.  He doesn't sound as smooth as Lieberman.

I still think Lamont will win, though.

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

by Cream Puff on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 07:33:33 AM PDT

•  Cf to Julian Bond the previous week (0+ / 0-)

Julian Bond was outstanding on Colbert, as was that Congressman from Florida. He played along and got his points in several times in different ways.

I don't think Lamont made any mistakes on Colbert, but I don't think he took full advantage of the opportunity.

RULE OF LAW. That's all the reason you need to oppose Republicans.

by nightsweat on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 08:04:48 AM PDT

•  Lamont was great on Colbert (0+ / 0-)

I thought Lamont was great on Colbert.  I think it was the article in the Hartford Courant that quoted a Colbert Report staffer who said that Ned got the most positive reception of any guest in the history of the show.

I thought Ned came across as sincere, passionate, articulate.

It takes courage for any candidate to appear on that show, especially so close to an election.