View Diary: CT-Sen Q-Poll: Lamont Leads Lieberman 51 - 45 (201 comments)

•  Canvassing update (30+ / 0-)

Hi guys!  I canvassed all day yesterday.  I could really use a virtual foot rub.  So, while you are massaging my tootsies, let me just say that I still thing Ned is going to win tomorrow.  There were a lot more poeple home yesterday than on Saturday and while we found a few more Lieberdroids and undecideds, the pro-Lamont voters are highly motivated.  You know that look that people get when they want to beat the crap out of someone?  That "let me at 'em!" look?  THAT'S the look I saw over and over again when people said Lamont.  They said it forcefully, confidently, sometimes following up with, "You better bet I'm going to be there on Tuesday."  I don't think Nutmeggers liked it much when Joe told them to shut up and support the President.  Just a hunch.  Well, actually, several people mentioned that exactly.  Some referred to Joe as "That beady, eyed, weasel, bastard, expletive deleted."  Oh, yeah, there is discontent in Connecticut, all right.  Bloggers didn't have much to do with it.
    I found out some characteristics of the typical Lieberman voter.  They tend to be older, infirm or disabled and not likely to be wired.  Or wealthy.  Undecideds tended to be in working class neighborhoods and may not be wired either.
    Ned has a lot of support in working class neighborhoods though.  People ARE paying attention.  Maybe it's gas prices.  Maybe it's the war.  Whatever it is, people are tuned in.
    So, Kossacks, don't let the recent poll get you down.  Joe did make up some lost ground but not enough I think.  Ned is a good candidate, people know it and they are ready for a change.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 06:07:03 AM PDT

•  Oops. Thanks are downthread one. (2+ / 0-)
      jamfan, sunbro

Stability is not the goal of the Bush administration in the Middle East, it is the target. - Thomas Ricks

by peraspera on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 06:14:24 AM PDT

•  You are my hero (6+ / 0-)

You really are. I read in another thread that you're from NJ, as am I, but I just can't get away; no one to watch the kiddies. One question: I know the pavement pounding effort has been tremendous, but is Lamont's campaign countering TV ads and flyers with their own?

Oh, and how's this for irony: our family vaca is coming up two weeks from today. Guess where we're going? Mystic, CT! So my feet, and those of my family, will be on the ground...after the fact.

Something's happening here today -- a show of strength with your boys' brigade. Paul Weller

by jamfan on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 06:17:31 AM PDT

•  robo calls (6+ / 0-)

To be perfectly honest, I didn't watch any TV while I was there so I can't report on the ads.  I think one of my canvassing partners said he had gotten a few good responses to the ads.  However, I did canvas one neighborhood around Wesleyan that was targeted by Lieberman with robo calls.  Let's just say that that strategy didn't go over well at all.  One man, who had a chronic illness, started getting 4-6 robo calls a day from the Lieberman crowd, starting in early July.  His companion said they got one live call from a Lamont phone banker and just the fact that the person was live gave them a chance to vent their frustration. The phone calls are really not appreciated, no matter who is calling.  But if you feel the need to do it, a real person on the other end is going to get you more votes, probably for the same reason that people hate to go through a voice menu before  they finally get to speak to an actual customer service rep.  Actually, that is probably EXACTLY why Lieberman didn't do well with the phone calls.  They were like that impersonal voice menu when all you really want to do is chew out the customer rep about poor service.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 06:25:55 AM PDT

•  Lamont voters may be motivated... (1+ / 0-)
      sunbro

but Lieberman voters will be getting free rides to the polling station---don't get overconfident.

•  Ummmm... (1+ / 0-)
        peraspera

Actually, when I came across a voter who needed a ride, I took down their phone number and handed it in with the canvassing at Meriden HQ.  I was under the impression that the campaign staff would find rides for people if they needed them.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 06:27:28 AM PDT

•  I'm sure they will.... (0+ / 0-)

but the effort is a lot bigger on Lieberman's behalf.

•  what is Ned, broke? (0+ / 0-)

He's been getting tons of money from us and he has plenty of his own.  Are you telling me that he's not arranging to have vans and cars available by, you know, RENTING them for the day?

•  Can't say (9+ / 0-)

They had a huge staff meeting yesterday.  Volunteers were told to stay away for a few hours.  When I came back after canvassing, HQ was eerily quiet and calm.  Everyone there has the look of good students who studied for the exam and know they can ace it.  Earlier in the day, there were stacks of signs everywhere.  When I came back, they were gone.  I've been told by campaign veterans that Tom Swan is running the best campaign they've ever seen.
            There are always things that can't be foreseen.  There may be cracks in the organization that we will be analysing later.  They probably could have used a bit more help this weekend, for example.  Maybe they could have nailed down a bit more committment of time from some of us.  But I think these people know what they are doing. They didn't tell me what their transportation plans were but when I told them about people needing rides, they said they would take care of it.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 06:37:38 AM PDT

•  (virtual foot rub) (1+ / 0-)
      sunbro

Wonderful to hear!  You rock.

•  which town? (4+ / 0-)
      orchid314, HeavyJ, mjd in florida, theark

just curious.

i was also out canvassing, in norwalk, and i got a much more mixed reaction.  a number of people were still pretty undecided.  this was especially true with black women, who were at home sunday afternoon after church, as someone mentioned upthread.

they were generally receptive to more information, especially on healthcare, education antd the like.  maxine waters' support (who was out campaigning in norwalk yesterday) was a great selling point too, i found.  these ladies have a high regard for maxine's BS filter.

but there's lots more voters to talk to!

everyone come on up to CT for tuesday. this afternoon even, if you can manage it.

that's true even if you think ned is going to win for sure. (which you shouldn't because we have to work for it.) for every extra point joe loses by, you make another 50 corporate lobbyists cry inconsolably for weeks.

politics is a war of ideas; those who do not embrace this are no realists

by zeke L on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 07:41:46 AM PDT

•  My towns (1+ / 0-)
        theark

Middletown and Meriden.  I hit both middle class and working class neighborhoods including a housing project.
        The thing that astonished me was the positive response we got even from the undecideds.  Everyone was very friendly, took our literature, listened to our spiel.  There were no slammed doors, no bad vibes anywhere.  The voters are really paying attention.  They know this vote is important.  All the undecideds need is a little encouragement.  In my towns, there were FAR more positive for Ned responses than there were positives for Lieberman.  We canvassed about 300 houses of likely voters over the past 2 days (some of these houses had multiple voters).  The number of pro-Liberman voters couldn't have been more than about 10.  The number of pro-Lamont far exceeded that.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 08:15:09 AM PDT

• Education (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Politics (23)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Economy (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site