View Diary: George Galloway: My Goodness! (40 comments)

•  here? (2+ / 0-)
    gong, blueoasis

I heard about today on Randi Rhodes show.

•  Looks like... (1+ / 0-)
      zorba

...there've been two previous diaries. (Link.) Not a reason to take this one down, IMO. Truly a great piece of video. (I admit I'm probably more on side with Galloway than many are hereabouts.)

•  Oops...musta missed it in the L 'n L siege.. (0+ / 0-)

I'll keep it a while longer for those who missed it and maybe delete later.

•  Galloway is a clown (0+ / 0-)

His appearance on "Big Brother" while Parliament was sitting probably pushed me over the fence on him. Plus, despite his hollering campaign against the allegations (and the uncritical support of some on the left), he doesn't have me entirely convinced that he wasn't taking dosh from Saddam and some other very unsavory characters. The evidence is ambiguous, but it doesn't appear entirely fraudulent.

He's not an ally I trust.

I won't comment on Galloway's comments on the current war in Lebanon in order to start a fairly irrelvant flame wary.

Je suis Marxiste, tendence Groucho.

by gracchus on Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 09:08:30 PM PDT

•  Trust? (0+ / 0-)

Who in government can we trust? It's all smoke and mirrors, lies and distortions, manipulation and triangulation.

As for GG, I don't think he's a clown. Just someone with an entirely different view. That's okay too. Some of the things he say are true. No one person or government hold a monoply on truth, or justice.

Some of the things Israel say are true. Some are lies.
          Some of the things Hezobollah/Hamas/Lebanon say are true, some are lies.

But if we the people get to hear both sides, clearly, and not through the prism of corporate owned media and biases, then maybe we can achieve peace faster.

•  Um, going on Big Brother while Parliament (0+ / 0-)

is sitting makes you a clown regardless of what you're saying. In fact, it probably discredits any serious, worthwhile points you have to make.

There are plenty of leftists left in the Labour Party. Yet, he chose to leave and start his own party. That's an indication that he was a) distrusted by his allies inside his own party b) was a primadonna or c) both.

Je suis Marxiste, tendence Groucho.

by gracchus on Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 09:56:15 PM PDT

•  I thought Galloway was expelled. (0+ / 0-)

Expelled for speaking out against Blair, the Labour party's decision to declare a war of agression (war crime) against of Iraq.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world She didn't exist.

by callmecassandra on Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 10:27:27 PM PDT

•  Other leftists who openly opposed the war (0+ / 0-)

in Parliament are still in the party.

Again, I'm not taking issue Galloway's general line (although I don't think he's particularly honest in political argument, even when in the right), I'm just calling him a clown who provides plenty of ammunition to people who want to trivialize him.

This is pretty much an ad hominem attack on the man; which I generally don't do, but I think is justified in this case given his behavior. Please defend the man, not his political points, if youre going to take issue with me on this.

Je suis Marxiste, tendence Groucho.

by gracchus on Thu Aug 10, 2006 at 12:05:30 AM PDT

•  Actually, (0+ / 0-)

I took issue with you suggesting that Galloway left.  He was expelled.  If you wish to make  ad hominem attacks against people, that's your play not mine.

by callmecassandra on Thu Aug 10, 2006 at 08:50:34 AM PDT

•  What worries me (0+ / 0-)

is that Galloway is pretty clearly a mountebank, whose main interest is Galloway. If more substative evidence does crop up that he did in fact take payoffs from disgraceful people, or he pulls a manoevure sillier than the big brother stunt, or he says something exceptionally stupid (all of which I think are within the realm of possibility), than the right is going to use that to attack the entire antiwar left -- and if he's in a tight bearhug from some on the left this will be effective.

he's not an ally i trust, and i think it's unwise even for people who agree with him to offer him too much public praise...it could easily rebound.

Je suis Marxiste, tendence Groucho.

by gracchus on Thu Aug 10, 2006 at 06:49:39 PM PDT