Skip to main content

View Diary: Guerrilla Vlogger: Patriotism for something more than War (49 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  The past 2 nights (5+ / 0-)

    I've seen Tweety reverse his tune and start talking about how the war and other things at home are beginning to matter to many of us, and that perhaps Republicans are finding themselves recoiling from Bush.

    •  I don't watch him anymore (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      machka, nannyboz, bumpa

      but this whole Ned Lamont is a radical meme is disgusting and blatantly false. 60% of the country wants out and today rawstory reports that 67% believe a civil war in Iraq is inevitable.

      •  Washington Post came out with numbers (4+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        mbair, machka, nannyboz, bumpa

        I think 60% of Americans want out, but of those 60%, only 25% want out immediately, the other 75% want out within a year to 18 months (pretty much Edwards' position, and I'm not sure all that different from Lamont's).

        "We need to ask America to adopt a new kind of patriotism, a patriotism about something more than just war." -- John Edwards

        by philgoblue on Tue Aug 15, 2006 at 05:27:04 AM PDT

        [ Parent ]

        •  I know (4+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          pernoclone, machka, nannyboz, bumpa

          yet this a radical leftist position. That's a total lie.

          The troop withdrawal statement is something that is regretfully absent from Edwards's remarks that night. He had a long day and all these remarks were off the cuff, so I'll cut him some slack on that one.

          The best rationale for the troop withdrawal IMO is that we've been there 3 and a half years and this crew in DC can't even get the oil out of the ground. It's not right and our troops haven't done anything wrong, why should they suffer for partisan political reasons.

          Murtha claimed last fall that Iraq is breaking the back of the military. How much longer can they possibly hold out?

          •  Especially frightening (4+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            philgoblue, mbair, machka, bumpa

            in light of the middle east situation and don't forget North Korea and Iran.

          •  The situation in Iraq.... (2+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            mbair, machka

            is much like hitting a bald-faced hornets nest repeatedly with a stick.  All you are going to accomplish is to piss off the hornets.   And to stick around and continue to beat on it probably isn't the smartest thing in the world to do.

            Yet this is exactly what His Nibs is doing.  The Near East being the hornets nest.   He is accomplishing nothing by remaining in Iraq.  The whole Near East is destablizing, caused by our presence.   Iraq is (in my opinion) ALREADY in a Civil War - not merely on the brink of one.  It is no longer  (never was) possible to attain the goal of a secure democracy in the country.

            Murtha and Edwards are right that we must WITHDRAW our troops.

        •  Don't forget, (2+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          mbair, bumpa

          the soldiers want out too!  Mostly all of them.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site