View Diary: Uncle Tom Powell Stumps for Massah Bush (101 comments)

•  Thanks (3.50)
    I guess it's just been a rough day and I lost my cool.  Cannot even imagine how sending black children to die in Iraq is far greater numbers than white children wouldn't be considered racist, but there you go.

Wonder how many Halliburton and KPH and Bechtel executives are black too... hmmm....

Night and day, you can find me Flogging the Simian

by Soj on Mon Apr 12, 2004 at 03:37:24 PM PDT

•  To me a mistake (none)
      to use that title because your diary slices and dices Powell's BS beautifully.

Maybe the anger was the font of the eloquence, but if it wasn't, you've got great skill.  Package it right and you'll make, for me, many great points for our side.

•  Wrong (3.50)
      The US military is all volunteer. The military integrated the more than a decade before American society. The meritocracy of military service has always drawn high numbers of minorities because there is LESS racism in the military then in society at large. Vietnam-era drafts were racist but the current volunteer military is not. Racist is killing 10,000 Iraqi civilians in a conflict unrelated to fighting Al-Qaeda.

Criticize Powell's actions all you want but if you make baseless racist charges calling Colin Powell "Uncle Tom" and excuse it because "you had a rough day" don't expect to be taken seriously.

Your argument is as stupid as calling Madeleine Albright and Janet Reno President Clinton's bitches when they spoke on his behalf. Is Condileeza Rice somehow worse then Henry Kissinger because she is an "Uncle Tom"? Your "Uncle Tom" rhetoric is foolish and wrong.

"If we should fail?" "We fail! But screw your courage to the sticking-place, And we 'll not fail."

by joejoejoe on Mon Apr 12, 2004 at 04:01:10 PM PDT

•  He mentioned Powell (4.00)
        not Rice.

Rice was legitimately selected because she is a legitimate neocon idiot. There is a difference.

My other Drunken ravings| ABB 2004! Kerry! Edwards! Dean!

by cdreid on Mon Apr 12, 2004 at 04:21:56 PM PDT

•  Rice and Kissenger (none)
          My point is Rice and Kissenger both had horrible records as NSA. Why cloud the issue by adding in Rice's race or Powell's race? Attack the actions of leaders based on the record and leave the racist rhetoric to the hard right.

by joejoejoe on Mon Apr 12, 2004 at 06:03:25 PM PDT

•  You make good points (none)
            but see that elephant in the corner?

Its racism in america. Visit the black section of your town sometime soon and tell me something isnt deeply disturbingly wrong in this country. And people like Powell and Thomas are dangerous weapons in the arsenal of the racists imho

My other Drunken ravings| ABB 2004! Kerry! Edwards! Dean!

by cdreid on Wed Apr 14, 2004 at 01:09:22 PM PDT

•  "the black section of your town" (none)
              Racism is a huge problem in this country and I'm comfortable talking about it and I've seen it firsthand. I've lived in Chicago, New York, and in Florida - not on the North Shore or in SOHO but in "the black section", "the puerto rican section", or more recently "the guyanese section" of Queens, NY. When the FBI comes to my neighborhood to investigate arson at a mosque how should I fit in the "Uncle Tom" perspective on racism? The problems I make cliches like "Uncle Tom" foolish.It's 21st century ignorance I see - and plenty of people on the left and right are too weak and insular to examine their own reasons for their arguments.

by joejoejoe on Wed Apr 14, 2004 at 04:15:26 PM PDT

•  You're right (none)
                And uncle tom arguments shouldnt be everyday things. But you shouldnt ban them from discourse or deny something is a duck when it walks talks and quacks like a duck.

Its not "acceptable" to call our judicial system openly racist, but it has been statistically proven. Its not acceptable to call our police forces openly racist, but they are. Its conventional wisdom that ghettoes are the result of ".azy shiftless minorities" or whatever yet every race and group i can think of has lived in ghettoes at one time. its not acceptable to talk about structured class warfare on the working class in america but it very very clearly exists. YOu cant even note blatant racism without screams of "playing the race card". The gop knows we do this and they use it. They demonise, redefine, or spin one of our ideas,beliefs, or facts and it is the left, not the right, enforcing hte speech code the right wants. Its a recipe for failure.

We shouldnt limit ourselves like that.

My other Drunken ravings| ABB 2004! Kerry! Edwards! Dean!

by cdreid on Thu Apr 15, 2004 at 06:03:13 AM PDT

•  no, that isn't right (none)
        while i think SOj's use of "uncle Tom" here is a bit too much hyperbole, lets not claim that our military is 100% voluntary.  The fact is that most of the military personnel are strongly compelled into service as a direct result of their economic circumstances.  To them the military is an out where there aren't many other "outs" available.  In truth this is more class based than race based but since poverty in our country is still largely dicated by race it is institutionalized racism.

I'm Howard Dean Fired Up! Now what? Air America Radio!

by seamus on Mon Apr 12, 2004 at 05:41:12 PM PDT