View Diary: ID-01: Let's Send Larry Grant to Congress (171 comments)

•  Good analysis, thanks but... (1+ / 0-)
    Odysseus

What is his strategy for winning this one. Is he going to run as a blue dog dem slightly less conservative than Sali on important issues. Or is he going to use his stellar resume and background to present a progressive vision of competent solutions to our problems? From his website it looks like the former to me. Why should we pour money into his campaign when there are so many other progressives who aren't afraid to do so elsewhere?

•  A reminder... (5+ / 0-)

About this site:

It's partisan Democrat, about electing Democrats.

It's not about electing only progressives.

And I say that as a rather hard over progressive.  Politics is a pragmatic art.  If you're not willing to campaign for Democrats who aren't all of the right stripe--in order to get a majority, so that we CAN get a progressive Speaker and implement some progressive policy, you're in the wrong place.

You've got a low UID, you must recall that there was, for example, a massive outpouring here for the radical center, for Howard Dean.

Let progressive voters become a force, and we can move our politicians and the political center.

Insist on purism, and we're fucked.

Personally, I'm really, really tired of being fucked.

I want progressives elected.  But even moreso... I want a Democratic majority, in both houses.  AND THEN I want action, and an impeachment (well, a number of impeachments...), and universal health care, a major rise in the minimum wage, roll backs of tax cuts, and a pony.

"I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor." King George III

by ogre on Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:55:47 AM PDT

•  boy, are you confused... (0+ / 0-)

I don't think we would all agree this is just about electing Democrats. WE have PLENTY of progressive Democrats around the country. It's about identifying a subset of Democrats worth funding and working for. And that means not supporting the right-leaning types who have brought the Dem party to become a minority (because they don't stand for anything different except winning).

•  You err... and err greatly (7+ / 0-)

Money is not a fixed sum.

I gave to Lamont.  It didn't keep me from giving to Busby, Cricenzo, Ciro, Kissel, Walz, Farrell or a long list of others.

Yes, there's some finite amount.  But it's not fixed.  There's always a bit more that a really deserving candidate will get me to scrape up.  Show people worthy candidates, and they'll donate.  Worthy here doesn't just mean political views.

I've donated heavily to Cricenzo.  She's running in my district.  But her race is a long shot, because of the district.  That's reality.  That's she's very progressive is nice.  But the truth is... if there were a more conservative Democrat -- but not one whose soul were for sale to the Corps -- who'd run in the primary... I'd have been happy to see it.  I'd rather win right now than achieve purity and a moral victory.

The country can't afford for "this" to continue.  If that means entrenching moderates, so be it.  I'm ok with iterative progress, if that's what we can get.

Grant beats the living shit out of Sali in the House, and will make it a body far more likely to pass progressive legislation like living wages--something his site says he supports.  I'll fund electing that over some ideologically perfect individual who stands a gnat's fart chance in a Georgia district.

by ogre on Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 10:20:00 AM PDT

•  Ogre, thank you for being a voice of reason n/t (2+ / 0-)
            SallyCat, rearlgrant

Help Larry Grant (ID-01) defeat the worst wingnut of the year. Read more at Netroots for Grant.

by Red State Rebel on Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 10:31:41 AM PDT

•  Money is finite! (0+ / 0-)

At least in my household. Grant's chances are still long-shot: It's western Idaho! That's the area where the Aryan brotherhood hangs out! Anyway, throw your money whereever you want.

This is about whether Grant should be a netroots recommendation. I think it's too early and I'm not impressed by his website and his timidity in taking anything other than 'safe' stands. I support Dean's 50 state strategy for the Democratic party but I don't think we ought to adopt it here!

Again, I repeat his position on Iraq is one that Lieberman would support.

•  Sigh (5+ / 0-)

I live in SoCal.

Torrance.  Fallbrook.  Homes of Neo-nazism, the Aryan Brotherhood, John Bircherdom.

Support the 50-state project... but not in all 50 states.  O-kay....

If we can move Lieberman's Iraq views to (only) states that are this red... we'll be sitting pretty.  Compare to Sali's views on Iraq.

by ogre on Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 10:36:02 AM PDT

•  Lieberman agrees with Bush on Iraq (0+ / 0-)

so that's no movement whatsoever.

•  I live in Indiana and... (0+ / 0-)

so you've got no "redness" over me! And I'm speaking from experience about how so-called progressives are enabling the rightist DLC dems to win. I know because I ran for office and watched as so-called progressives sold out their values and principles for their lust to win.

And it doesn't mean being purist or ideological versus winning. That is a false dichotomy.

Progressives CAN win in red states/Districts.

•  Well Put (2+ / 0-)
                    ogre, HellofaSandwich

I think you should gather your thoughts into a diary so that they can be debated there. I would like to see this discussion in some place where it stands on its own rather than cluttering up this thread.

We should be discussing Larry Grant and his candidacy here and debating the Netroots endorsment process and supporting progressive candidates in a different diary.

•  Sali: Stay the course, forever (4+ / 0-)

Yes indeed. Bill Sali will never question a word George Bush says on Iraq. Like Joe Loserman, Bill Sali believes asking honest questions about our Iraq policy is tantamount to helping terrorists.

Larry Grant, by contrast, wants Congress to grow a spine, start questioning our Iraq policy, and find a way to end the war with dignity and purpose .. I believe those are the words he uses.

Larry Grant: thoughtful pragmatist

Bill Sali: knee-jerk Bush supporter

Joe Lieberman: knee-jerk Bush supporter

From Larry's website, on the wiretapping issue:

"We all know that those in power find it easier to govern using secrecy and fear rather than openness and knowledge. But we are a democracy. And, if we value that democracy, we need a strong Congress to step up and keep the power of the President in check. That is not likely to happen with after-the-fact hearings by a Republican majority in Congress. It will only happen when we restore balance in this country by electing people who put our freedoms, instead of power, first."

The choice looks pretty clear here.

by Red State Rebel on Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 11:01:16 AM PDT

•  I realize you are working for Grant (0+ / 0-)

and glad you finally revealed that. Good luck to you!

But I'm sorry. Asking tough questions and "finding" a way to end the war with dignity and purpose isn't going to do the job.

This war will continue until Congress gets the balls to cut off the funding. It's as simple as that. It's the only real power they have.

•  Idaho loves Howard Dean (2+ / 0-)
              Woody, rearlgrant

He got something like 300 people to a picnic in Boise last July, on a 95-degree day.

Dick Cheney got fewer than that to an air-conditioned reception for Bill Sali August 16.The 50-state strategy is working great here. The Idaho Dem Party has tripled its staff, at least, and we have some great candidates up and down the ballot.

Finally, the Aryan nutcases are long gone. Richard Butler is dead. You have some pretty warped and outdated views about Idaho, IndySteve. Boise is one of the nation's feastest-growing metro areas, with most of its growth in the 1st CD.

by Red State Rebel on Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 10:53:25 AM PDT

•  Good! (0+ / 0-)

I'm glad the Aryan nutcases are gone. But I think those who supported them are still alive and active up north. I'd like to see a breakdown by county of the Presidential vote in 04. I'm a realist and would like to see the true possibility of Grant winning.

The issue of whether he should be endorsed here or not is a different issue. And I'm still evaluating him on the issues. So far, a lot of platitudes. Doesn't impress me. And I can find nowhere his position on choice. He should clarify it and frame it in a way that doesn't make him vulnerable to rethug attacks which WILL come.

•  It is Ogre's money (2+ / 0-)
              HellofaSandwich, rearlgrant

Let him decide what to do with it.

Just because you say someone does not deserve the money we should all listen to you?

Grant is far and away better then this guy Sali seems to be