View Diary: The Secret History of Richard L. Armitage (38 comments)

•  I have tired of the conventional wisdom (26+ / 0-)

...that sees the Powell-Armitage group as some kind of principled, if weak, opposition to the Cheney/Rumsfeld axis in Bush's administration. I believe this is become a fairly threadbare meme in recent times. But if my modest diary can help drive a stake in such outmoded analysis, then I will be happy.

The people running this country are criminals, and exposing them to the light will not be enough. Without some kind of justice, the society will begin to deteriorate further. Torture will triumph (as Bushie hopes even now), and democracy, already suspected to be a sham, will become a forgotten word.

"Hypocrite lecteur, -- mon semblable, -- mon frère!" -- Baudelaire

by Valtin on Sat Sep 09, 2006 at 10:12:48 PM PDT

•  shades of grey (2+ / 0-)
      Valtin, Heyroot

Always, shades of grey.

Yeah, and maybe he whacked Kennedy, too. But there remains the possibility that he fucked up with Novak (we still don't know what was said, the context, etc.), who then went looking for a second source from Libby / Cheney / insert-shitbag-here, who, in turn, used it to their advantage. It was they, AFAIK, who pushed it out the other reporters. I'm waiting to find out more about his conversation with Novak.

Great diary, btw.

•  Maybe he did fuck up (3+ / 0-)
        walkshills, DianeNYS, subtropolis

This is the whole dynamic, isn't it?, between the conspiracy school of analysis -- where everything is done through intent and/or organization, links far back in history, ever-present -- and the impressionistic school (which is what I dub the modern MSM style of analysis and its followers) -- where everything happens because of accident, and/or is disconnected, emphemeral, forgotten tomorrow.

I belong to the empirical school of analysis: look for the evidence, sift it, follow hypotheses and look for proof and disproof, use hunches, but always come back to some body of established fact. In this school, everything does happen because of cause, but the different types of causes are taken into consideration. Conspiracies do occur, but only defined as the considered result of men and women acting concertedly to bring about certain objectives. So, for instance, the use of torture against U.S. detainees in the "War on Terror" is both a policy of part of government, with a more or less open conspiracy to keep its existence a secret, or its operations murky.

Thanks for the recommend.

"Hypocrite lecteur, -- mon semblable, -- mon frère!" -- Baudelaire

by Valtin on Sun Sep 10, 2006 at 05:29:48 AM PDT

•  Hmm (2+ / 0-)
        Valtin, Heyroot

I'm waiting to find out more about his conversation with Novak.

Didn't Novak say that once his source reveiled him/herself he would spill the beans?

Armitage has reveiled himself. Novak is not spilling any beans. Ergo: Armitage wasn't his source.

Restore Democracy! Denounce the GOP (Georgie's Orwellian Party)!

by high5 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 at 07:04:11 AM PDT

•  Good point (0+ / 0-)

and one I haven't seen raised anywhere else yet. Someone, call Bob Novak, wake him up, and ask him the hard questions.

Hey, do journalists have guts anymore, or what?

"Hypocrite lecteur, -- mon semblable, -- mon frère!" -- Baudelaire

by Valtin on Sun Sep 10, 2006 at 07:10:38 AM PDT

•  It is curious that Armitage let his tongue slip (1+ / 0-)
            Valtin

not once, but twice, within days, to two of DC's best-known and most influential journalists. Somehow, I don't buy the notion that it was accidental. Sounds to me more like a very carefully orchestrated plan in which the Wilsons were smeared incrementally, in seemingly disconnected bits and pieces, so as to not excessively incriminate or implicate any one person, and give them all some measure of plausible deniability. Libby ended up taking the fall, but in a way that never implicated him or anyone else of the primary charges.

We need to get to the bottom of this and find out how this really went down, and who ordered, planned and carried it out. Like all complex conspiracies, this one's bound to unravel if sufficient pressure is applied and effort expended towards unravelling it. Too many people with different motivations, roles and levels of loyalty involved, too many inherent contradictions in the official stories, and too much of the classic "means, motive and opportunity" pointing towards likely conspiracy. To me, it's not a question of whether this was a high level conspiracy to discredit and sideline BOTH Wilsons (and it never really was a question to me), but of what it's going to take to get to the sorry bottom of it all.

Personally, I think that it'll take a Democratic congress for that to happen.

Let's hope. It's looking more and more likely.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

by kovie on Sun Sep 10, 2006 at 10:35:48 PM PDT

•  certainly (0+ / 0-)

But he has only "officially" come clean just recently. I'm willing to wait a tad longer on Novak's column.

•  The Powell-Armitage "axis" (3+ / 0-)
      DianeNYS, Valtin, philipmerrill

I totally agree with you.  How much weakness and cow-towing to your "superiors" does it take before the evidence is that you are part of that group, not an opponent of it?

•  An 'arms length' separation by Powell, Armitage (1+ / 0-)
        Valtin

the outsiders - would have been very useful for the neocons. I suspect this has been very carefully set up; not primarily for the Plame leak, but as a basis for affirmations which can serve as validation for the administration, like Powell's speech to the UN.

Don't forget that Bolton worked for state during this period, for Powell and Armitage - although we all know Bolton had other influences with more power.

Illumination is cheap around here.

by walkshills on Sun Sep 10, 2006 at 01:34:02 PM PDT

•  So have I--so have most of us (0+ / 0-)

And I agree that we need to bring these fuckers to justice, not out of some right-wing canard about revenge or payback, but because the long-term well-being of our democracy depends on it. There's been enough sweeping of dirt under the carpet over the past 30+ years. The damn carpet's so high by now that it threatens to blow off the roof.

And, btw, for some reason I can neither recommend nor troll-rate this comment (not that I had any intention of doing the latter, but I did want to do the former), even though I can do either with all the other comments here, and still have my TU status.

by kovie on Sun Sep 10, 2006 at 10:19:41 PM PDT

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • International (18)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site