View Diary: Gay Americans & 9/11: On a Queer Day (214 comments)

•  But he probably would have supported the war(s). (0+ / 0-)

His mother did.

McCain is pretty darn conservative; I think his support of McCain would have made Bingham more of a Republican than a (true) Libertarian.

I'm not arguing that Bingham wasn't a hero -- of course, he was -- but reality is murky. He was a big, tough macho conservative guy who happened to be gay. I think a lot of conservatives don't really want to think about what Mark Bingham's life and philosophy really means to them.

Mariva's Guide: A magablog of fun, useful, interesting stuff.

by mariva on Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 01:57:59 PM PDT

•  I don't believe (0+ / 0-)

that Alice Hoagland supports the war in Iraq. She may have supported the war in Afghanistan, as many people did after 9/11. She mainly supports increased security measures for the airlines, as befitting her 20 years as a flight attendant for United. I know, from my conversations with her, that she's none too pleased that bin Laden is still out there running around.

I also don't believe that you can extrapolate that Mark "probably would have supported the war(s)" because "his mother did." There are many things I disagree with my mother about. And as I say, I'm not sure that Alice is a war supporter anyway.

Mark was a registered Republican, and definitely on the conservative side. My point was that not every Republican pre-Bush was what we think of them being now.

Somewhere a senator sits behind a big wooden desk...he took his money just like all the rest- Neil Young

by ctami on Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 02:12:42 PM PDT

•  Yes, she supported the war in Iraq. (0+ / 0-)

I saw footage of her at the pro-war rally (holding a pro-war sign with Bingham's photo) on the local news.

Mariva's Guide: A magablog of fun, useful, interesting stuff.

by mariva on Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 02:36:26 PM PDT

•  She also (0+ / 0-)

testified against the death penalty at the Zacarias Moussaoui trial. Does that make her pro-war, anti-death?

You may have seen her at "the pro-war rally," (I didn't know there was only one) but my point is that that doesn't square with my personal experience of Alice. Kerry "supported the war in Iraq", but I still voted for him.

To say that she supported the war in Iraq, ergo, her dead son probably would have also is a bit of a broad brush statement, IMHO.

by ctami on Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 03:26:24 PM PDT

•  it also doesn't necessarily reflect (0+ / 0-)

where she maybe is now

Fear is not a winning strategy.

by bruh1 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 03:53:29 PM PDT

•  I humbly suggest seeing if you can find (0+ / 0-)

some footage of local news from the time, as well as interviews, if possible. I'm just one person, but this is what I remember. I remember feeling disappointed by the irony of her supporting an administration that relies on gay-bashing policies.

I can tell that you feel attached to her, and want to defend her -- fine -- but it's good to know the whole story, the good and the bad, when making a documentary.

Best of luck with the project.

Mariva's Guide: A magablog of fun, useful, interesting stuff.

by mariva on Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 04:29:32 PM PDT