View Diary: Bush is a More Colossal Failure than you Know (335 comments)

•  That has always pissed me off. (35+ / 0-)

You know, it was about 45 minutes after the Oklahoma City bombing that Clinton vowed "we will catch the people responsible," and they DID it right after.

It takes Bush three days to come up with empty platitudes and even emptier promises.

On the anniversary of 9/11 -- which was a bad thing that happened on his watch -- he should be ashamed to show his fucking face ANYWHERE, and definitely should not be on my goddamed TV.  I will never understand why he got so much credit for being "presidential," when he basically bumbled through, while awaiting the product from his speech writers.  My pet goat.  Jesus Christ on a Stick.

Today is September 12, the fifth anniversary of Osama not being caught yet.

"If I don't get my crackers, I'm going to get angry." -7.50; -6.21

by sgoldinger on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 11:33:32 AM PDT

•  strange... (23+ / 0-)

you may have heard of some bombs on trains overhere in Germany last month that didn't go off.  I use the Dortmund train station frequently as it's a hub of my area.

But it was strange, they got the first guy a week after the incident.  I watched it on the news: no tanks, no fighter jets, no terror alerts - just the polizei going in and arresting the guy.  They caught the second perpetrator a week later in Lebanon.

Hmm, I guess it's just old Europe's way of handling terrorism, by treating it as a crime.  After all, what does old Europe know about terrorists?  It was just a bad day right for everyone but for Americans it was an attitude change, right?

whispers: Baader-Meinhof, Red Brigades.

"It isn't important to come out on top. What matters is to be the one who comes out alive." -Bertolt Brecht, "Jungle of Cities."

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 11:56:02 AM PDT

•  Lot less "collateral damage" in police raids (21+ / 0-)

as opposed to bombing the hell out of infrastructure.

Tends not to make people pissed off when you focus your efforts on the perpetrator and not the whole community around them.

But what do I know. :)

Knowledge brings fear... understanding, brings courage... wisdom bring peace.

by Erevann on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 12:01:29 PM PDT

•  Hit the nail on the head (3+ / 0-)
          sgoldinger, Erevann, greenearth

"I'm still of a mind that the tack taken by Bush and pals is more to soak up reconstruction and defense contract tax dollars, than to actually do much about terrorism."

The RFPs for Iraq "reconstruction" went out before the war war declared.  It was just time for GOP cronies to get paid.  Why do people think Bushco "blew up" the levees in New Orleans - just another opportunity for the connected to feed at the public trough with no-bid contracts, etc.

•  and that's exactly what's happened (2+ / 0-)
            sgoldinger, greenearth

nothing new under the sun. Various corporations and administrations have been pulling this nonsense for hundreds of years. Lincoln dealt with it, Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, just to name a few more contemporary examples.

Why is it we never seem to let the lessons of history REALLY sink in and stick, so we don't have to keep on repeating this BS again, and again? GRRRR!!!

Knowledge brings fear... understanding, brings courage... wisdom bring peace.

by Erevann on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 12:20:43 PM PDT

•  And a lot less (2+ / 0-)
          sgoldinger, Erevann

of an MO to consolidate power to the executive branch.  Military action was the only solution for this bastards.

When y'ain't got nothin', ya got nothin' to lose.

by aerdrie faenya on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 02:51:14 PM PDT

•  Yeah, the consolidation of the executive (0+ / 0-)

is the thing that's got me most concerned, with more power, comes more plunder.

Lockheed-Martin, General Dynamics, Boeing, Raytheon, Halliburton of course, the list goes on and on, of those that've profiteered off these conflicts.

I grew up a child of the defense industry, through my father, who was usually employed at one or another. When he got old enough, and sick enough, and they had a plausable reason to protect themselves legally, they dropped him, along with my whole family, like he was nothing but disposable.

Sickens me to this day.

Knowledge brings fear... understanding, brings courage... wisdom bring peace.

by Erevann on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 03:04:08 PM PDT

•  Don't forget about America's anthrax terrorism (1+ / 0-)
        CanisMaximus

They never found those responsible. It doesn't even look like they tried very hard, and they've swept this under the rug completely.

I'm working on a diary about this.

I remember a time when the American President was the leader of the free world. ****** Repeat after me: "Neoconservatism has failed America."

by land of the free on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 06:04:09 PM PDT

•  What's this about? (0+ / 0-)

This isn't the first allusion I've read that hints at some scandal related to the anthrax thing. What's the story here?  What am I missing?

•  I'm not hinting at scandal (1+ / 0-)
            cas2

just that I find it amazing that the investigation seems to have gone cold, and find it astonishing that American politicians seem to believe it's ok to conveniently forget about those terrorist attacks. Whenever our President and Republicans claim that "they've kept us safe, there hasn't been another terror attack in the US since 9/11", I cringe and want to remind them that people were killed due to this biological attack on our soil - the second successful terror attack during Bush's presidency.

I started a diary, but it was a bit too ranty and convoluted. I'll work on it more in the coming days. No one on dKos likes a rant... eh, strike that... no one on dKos likes a convoluted rant. ;)

by land of the free on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 08:04:58 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the reply (0+ / 0-)

I see where you're coming from.  I have seen this idea in other blogs so you may not be alone.  How about the researcher they think was the culprit but they lacked evidence to convict, therefore conveniently forgot about?  You're right. It dropped off the radar fast.

•  He was waiting for the air at Ground Zero (2+ / 0-)
      samddobermann, bablhous

to become minimally breathable again. Of course, he couldn't tell people that, since it might lead to a rush on insurance claim payouts, and K street would be upset.

"We lucky few! We band of bloggers!"--Malacandra

by Sharoney on Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 03:18:38 PM PDT