View Diary: Ugh. Democratic convention in NYC? (363 comments)

•  Not blue enough. . . (3+ / 0-)
    DWCG, vcmvo2, chumley

Denver, like most all cities, is blue, too (one of the bluest in fact).

to apparently offer a single union hotel.

Is America finally suffering from Idiot Fatigue?

by LarryInNYC on Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 08:31:23 PM PDT

•  I meant in terms of voting (1+ / 0-)
      Petronella

but yeah, you're right:  that is a fucking disgrace.

Still, is that the deal-breaker that means it just has to be in NYC?  Again?

Shoot, you guys have got your civil rights issues to deal with, too.  If having no union hotels means we're not blue enough for dems, what about casually arresting hundreds of peaceful protesters during a--political convention?  Where did that happen, again?  Oh yeah, now I remember...

•  Philadelphia. (1+ / 0-)
        vcmvo2

Under Rendell.  And, are you suggesting that protesters wouldn't be arrested in Denver?  Or that, in the event that Republican protesters try to disrupt any Democratic convention in New York they should be allowed to do so?

I don't think the labor situation should be the deciding factor as long as local labor is willing to waive the issue (and not picket the convention -- that would be an unacceptable situation).  But I don't know why Denver is being pushed so much when it apparently couldn't present an acceptable bid.  A messed-up convention won't help the Democrats.  And I don't think New York should be ruled out because it has too many big Democratic donors either -- even if some of them did support Bloomberg.  Or even Lieberman.

And I'm still pissed about 2004.

Is America finally suffering from Idiot Fatigue?

by LarryInNYC on Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 08:43:24 PM PDT

•  Right, it was philly (0+ / 0-)

and Chicago, NYC, etc...

Hell no, I'm not saying that there'd be no arrests in Denver.  Facism is everywhere.  That's just what we're fighting here.  Facism in it's ever-multiplying forms is exactly what keeps me awake at night, more than any other issue this country faces today.

I'm not so stupid to think that any city could guarantee some kind of love fest for Dems.

I just want to win the election.

If Denver's bid is really that weak, fuck 'em.  Try again in 2012.  But if Denver could pull off a convention and reach out to a whole region--turning it blue?  Then yes, I think it's a better choice.

I read a couple of weeks ago about the lack of a union hotel in Denver, and also that local labor had already promised not to make an issue of it (although I hope that somehow this situation could be seized upon to promote organized labor as a distinctly Democratic voting bloc).  Me, I'm a union guy all the way.  And I think it stinks that Denver has no union hotels.  But more than that, what I want is just to win.  To win.

•  According to the article. . . (3+ / 0-)
            mrkvica, d to the f, Jay Elias

If Denver's bid is really that weak, fuck 'em.

It really was that bad.

I've actually been a proponent of Denver as a DNC in the past and I do support the idea of having the convention someplace that "takes it to the enemy".  I don't particularly think doing so will help win that state (the Republicans were brilliant to have 2004 in New York, but it didn't help them to win here), but it does project a message of strength nationally.

I just don't like seeing New York dissed in the way it is in both the article and many posts.  "Oh, God now, anyplace, anyplace, dear Lord, but New York" and "we've got to show those damn New York money people they have no place in the Democratic Party".

Plus, I'm still steamed about 2004.  That was a first class mistake by the Democrats.

Is America finally suffering from Idiot Fatigue?

by LarryInNYC on Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 09:14:01 PM PDT

•  Point taken (0+ / 0-)

about NYC.  Hell, I got nothing special against the "New York money people."  Colorado money people are just as corrupt and spineless. I don't think that anyone who actually has a say-so gives a crap about punishing your fair city.

And the article, while discouraging, wasn't exactly extensive.  And didn't name any sources. Whatever, maybe it's bang-on accurate. Maybe not.

Like I keep saying, I just want a convention that helps Dems win. Wherever that may be.

•  Larry, you are really a terrific commenter (0+ / 0-)

whom I really respect. I just ask that you think about those in other areas who are working to create more blue votes..

NYC (and all of us in the NE) are important to the Democratic party. Do we really need a Democratic convention to confirm that? Or could we welcome those who are working to build a party in less hospitable places who might support us in the future?

This is an honest question. I don't think (I hope) anyone would question NYC's loyalty to the Democrats. Can't others share in the joy of Democracy with a capital D?

The law is slacked and judgment doth never go forth: the wicked compass about the righteous and wrong judgment proceedeth - Habakkuk 1:4

by vox humana on Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 09:09:20 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the kind words. (2+ / 0-)
            vox humana, henna218

See my comment directly above.  I have no problem with having the convention elsewhere (the year to have it here was 2004, not 2008).

Do we need a convention to confirm that NYC is important to the Democratic Party?  I wouldn't have thought so -- until I read Kos's article and some of the comments.  Now, I'm not to sure.  I'm afraid the headline on tommorrow's Daily News may read "Daily Kos to New York -- Drop Dead".

It's not New York's loyalty to the Democrats I'm worried about, but rather the other way around.

Is America finally suffering from Idiot Fatigue?

by LarryInNYC on Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 09:17:10 PM PDT

•  Oh, I can see that. (1+ / 0-)
              eartha

And that, of course, is something I could not really understand, not living in NYC.  I readily admit that. I live in a city the party would never consider, so I have no horse in this race.

I would hope that this was a thought toward party building. I personally would deeply regret if anyone assumed my excitement about MSP or DEN was a slight of NYC. I am viewing it as part of the fifty-state strategy.

No party should ever assume its current constituents would be happy no matter what! The Dems would truly be stupid if they were to ignore the good sentiments of the northeast. My hope is thst its friends in the northeast (including those of us in the true US northeast ;-)) could welcome those yearning to join us in the march to truth.

by vox humana on Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 09:28:49 PM PDT

•  Bravo from Brooklyn n/t (0+ / 0-)