View Diary: Teacher's Lounge: Failure to Launch (43 comments)

•  This is the 49th edition... (6+ / 0-)

...of Teacher's Lounge.  I'm not counting the abortive start under a different name and on a different day.  I added the links around Week 5 and that was the first time I was substantially more than 30 comments.  The links became a permanent feature in Week 7.  The present format was established on Week 10.

I've just keep plodding along.  I've had weeks with 5 comments (after posting a diary wherein I took an unpopular political position), with 3 of them probably my own.  I've had as much as 132 comments.  I do the links on Fridays, write the essay on Saturday morning (hopefully having discovered a topic by then), post the diary and make sure that everyone who visits and makes an on-topic comment gets at least one substantive response (if not from me, then at least from someone).  I think this last item encourages people to return.

Lastly, I do the thing that makes me most uncomfortable:  I advertize in the open threads, visit other diaries with my link prominently displayed, and make sure I mention it from time to time in comments that I make.  Like I said, I'm not really comfortable trying to "market" TL, but that's what builds name recognition.

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 11:05:40 AM PDT

•  Forgot: (4+ / 0-)

When I was getting started, I included some polls (which I normally detest), to bring in the suckers build the readership.

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 11:08:39 AM PDT

•  Thanks so much (5+ / 0-)

I have the perception that much depth of discussion gets stunted relative to the comments structure.

It seems to be difficult to have a conversation.

I appreciate the way you create and present the links.  I will try to do that around the nursing issues and maybe will create a chart of links that can be included in each diary to help readers to "do the homework" and so get up to speed without my repetitious drone interfering.

I also hate to market diaries elsewhere, but I've put my toe into the water at least.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson 1809.

by Buffy Orpington on Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 11:09:36 AM PDT

•  The current discussion is... (4+ / 0-)

...is certainly a step in that direction. If you want, I can post a mention of your "problem" in tonight's What's Your Fucking Problem?.

Another thing to consider if you can settle on a day and approximate time is to make it a real series (same basic name every time) and submit it to dmsilev for inclusion in the FAQ.  Getting it mentioned in the diaries for newbies that buhdydharma and ekhornbek occasionally produce also probably helps.

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 11:23:08 AM PDT

•  Thanks to all your offers (4+ / 0-)
          cookiebear, wiscmass, rserven, BeninSC

I wouldn't be able to respond in a real time manner to the weekend eve/night diaries,such as the WYFP ones, but if it wouldn't be intrusive, and commenters wouldn't mind, I'd certainly follow up during the next time I had 'net access.

And I really don't think that I'll be able to predict how long or at what times I will be able to continue to publish diaries, which is why I haven't moved toward making the diaries into a series.

Your suggestions are all helpful and valid, and I appreciate them.

Thanks-

by Buffy Orpington on Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 11:28:28 AM PDT

•  This could be part of your problem (3+ / 0-)
            cookiebear, rserven, BeninSC

Timing and timeliness help in attracting an audience. Have you considered getting together a group of 3 or 4 people with a similar interest who could help you? That way someone could post your diary for you or hang out to respond to people if you had to go away. Or you could alternate diaries according to your schedule. Just having a diary up at the same time each week helps draw an audience, but unattended diaries lose the interest of the community.

What is morally wrong can never be advantageous, even when it enables you to make some gain...Cicero

by carolita on Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 07:26:56 PM PDT

•  The team concept is an idea... (1+ / 0-)
              cookiebear

...that didn't occur to me this afternoon.  Thank you for providing it, carolita.

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 07:37:14 PM PDT

•  It's a great idea (2+ / 0-)
                cookiebear, rserven

But nurses are so divisive that as far as I know here, there are no nurse or healthcare writers who support what I write and who have even responded to my comments on their diaries, so I don't see that as a feasible choice.

It sucks to be me.

by Buffy Orpington on Sun Sep 24, 2006 at 08:09:43 AM PDT

•  my sister's a nurse ... (2+ / 0-)
                  rserven, Buffy Orpington

... and i've told her about your writing. unfortunately, she's never online, instead occupying her free time with more useful tasks (today's task: monarch butterfly rescue --- seriously).

but she's in agreement with what i've told her about your diaries.

i also have some ex-nurses as students who would have absolutely no disagreement with anything you've written

maybe one reason nurses etc at dkos aren't commenting is that they're too stressed and fragmented to think about their circumstances and put two and two together. and the ones who do often bail ASAP

in addition, the problem is just so freaking huge that any solutions likely seem completely out of reach

don't give up. it takes time, and it's likely the audience you most need (nurses, etc) do NOT have that time or the ability to objectively consider their circumstances