View Diary: PA-Sen: Court rejects Green Party's final ballot ploy (27 comments)

•  Don't you mean (R-Penn)? (0+ / 0-)

I've been told many times that Robert Casey is basically a Republican.

Chuck Schumer is not the enemy

by AnnArborBlue on Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 09:21:32 PM PDT

•  Well even if he is a republican in (0+ / 0-)

disguise at least he isn't Rick "man on dog" Santorum.

FRODO FAILED BUSH HAS THE RING "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results." Einstein

by FrankieB on Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 09:37:59 PM PDT

•  I was just being a smart ass (3+ / 0-)
          N in Seattle, AntKat, ca democrat

I like Bob Casey.

Chuck Schumer is not the enemy

by AnnArborBlue on Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 09:42:11 PM PDT

•  Well a friend always said (0+ / 0-)

better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass just before she called me a dumb ass. Sorry brain so dead from studying Quantitative Skills and Reasoning (math I had never heard of it until I was told it was a requirement for the program I want to transfer to) and
            American I didn't catch it. Test preparation sucks!

by FrankieB on Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 10:26:01 PM PDT

•  dave, do you really think (0+ / 0-)

Romanelli would have peeled off that many votes from Casey? 40-50,000 seems awfully high.

Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

by Sassy on Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 09:23:09 PM PDT

•  How many votes did Nader get in Florida? (0+ / 0-)

That would be a beginning comparison.

Ah, Wiki to the rescue again:

Nader's vote total in Florida was 97,488 where the final certified vote count had a margin of 537.

Florida has 15 million people, Pennsylvania, 12 million.  I think it's a reasonable conclusion.

Chaos, fear, dread. My work here is done.

by madhaus on Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 09:33:08 PM PDT

•  Though typically (0+ / 0-)

isn't turnout for midterms much lower?

Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

by Sassy on Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 09:41:39 PM PDT

•  Bad Comparison (0+ / 0-)

Nader had a lot of non-Green voters.  Who has ever heard of Romanelli?

•  Pennsylvania is a *very* strange state (0+ / 0-)

You have a whole lot of central Pennsylvania, which would never vote for anything but a Republican unless the Republican in question was actually having sex with a 4-year-old boy in the polling place (which I'll admit does seem a little more likely this week than it did last week).  You have Pittsburgh and Allentown, where, well, let's just say Dems have a pretty amazing advantage.  Philly is fairly liberal... I can imagine people in that area voting for Nader, I suppose.  The state (okay, okay, the commonwealth) as a whole is really pretty bipolar.

It might be worth looking at how many votes there were in Pennsylvania for Nader, don't you think?  Ah, here we are... 103,392.

However, a whole lot of Greens learned their lesson (hard) and won't be making that mistake again.  Plus, of course, the turnout is probably going to be smaller than the 2000 election turnout, although I won't venture to guess in this political climate just how much smaller.  And, of course, he may have a bunch of Republican money but he frankly won't get one percent of the media attention that Nader did.

Even if he were running, I'd be pretty surprised if the Green fellow got 20,000 votes in Pennsylvania, at least from potential Democratic Party supporters.  Really surprised, actually.  I'd have to guess it'd be closer to 2,000 than 20,000.

-fred