View Diary: MT-Sen: Tester's ad on the Patriot Act (106 comments)

•  It's a good ad, but best of the cycle? (1+ / 0-)
    vigilant meerkat

Maybe that means in Montana.

•  Oh, I think it is most excellent (2+ / 0-)
      gmb, pedro46

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~ Voltaire

by vigilant meerkat on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 11:46:11 AM PDT

•  I hate to be the negative one, but I (2+ / 0-)
        Pundimatic, holder

think it needs to be a LOT stronger.  I watched it first and thought it was great.  Then I watched Burns.  I think my fingers are going to burn right off for typing this, but that was a great ad, or would be if it wasn't for the evilness and the lies it contains.  Good Lord, even I who hate, hate, hate this admin, hate every thing about them, don't trust them at all, don't believe a single word coming from their mouths, felt my heart pounding a little harder with Burns ad, and can only imagine the impact of it on someone who is on the fence.  I think Tester needs to call him on the lies and be more hard hitting about the things wrong with the patriot act.  Just too short, too quick for such an important subject and in response to such an emotionally laden ad by Burns.

•  I saw the Burns ad first... (0+ / 0-)

and while some of it was scary looking/sounding. It depended on Tester's saying "I want my ..." and I never did figure out what it was Burns was saying Tester wanted.

Personally, I thought it was inane in the repetitive replaying of the Tester clip.

And the Meth thing seemed irrelevant.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 01:20:53 PM PDT

•  Tester was saying "I want to repeal it". (1+ / 0-)
            pedro46

Referring to the Patriot Act.  Burns was making the invalid and untrue point that the Patriot Act has "protected" us from terrorists (and I must agree I'm not sure where the meth thing came in, but Repubs aren't required to make sense), and then scaring people into thinking Tester wants to repeal this Act that has kept us safe.  I think refuting those claims would have been a good approach, rather than a general anti patriot act ad.  Sure Burns to be the liar and fear monger he is.

•  That's what he was saying?!? (1+ / 0-)
              vigilant meerkat

Wow...maybe I need my ears cleaned. That's sure not what I heard.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 01:43:27 PM PDT

•  I didn't get that either (2+ / 0-)
                kredwyn, pedro46

by vigilant meerkat on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 02:46:13 PM PDT

•  Listen again then. What he says is that (0+ / 0-)

he doesn't want to modify the Patriot Act; he wants to repeal it.  Which I agree is what should be done, since it never should have passed in the first place.  His statement was reported fairly heavily when made.  And frequently in a positive way, I think.

•  Oh... (1+ / 0-)
                  gustynpip

I don't doubt you. But I have to admit...it's so clipped at the end, it might well get passed up by people who aren't paying close attention...or who aren't really listening to a commercial.

And if Burns is relying on this as a killer ad, that bad editing could be a good thing.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 09:15:14 PM PDT

•  Fear fear fear (0+ / 0-)

The thing is, if you saw that ad and didn't know any better it's spooky and seems factual.  There's lots of quotes and sources and looks pretty real.  Of course all of the assertions made are unvalidated, but does the average voter know that.

I have to say, I do love to see a Democrat running on the, "they are coming to take your guns," concept.

--- The path to hell is paved with good intentions. Bush invaded Iraq based on good intentions. Thus we are staying the course on the path to hell.

by sterno on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 03:13:59 PM PDT

•  I agree (0+ / 0-)

Tester's ad has reason and truth on its side.

However, Burns' ad is MUCH stronger.

To much of conservative and moderate America, the PATRIOT Act really is just a tool for fighting terrorists.  No matter how much you state how it can be abused, they'll believe that it hasn't and won't be abused.

Tester's ad does very little to dissaude that perception, and Burns' ad is just CHILLING.  The black and white imagery, the repeated "I want to repeal it," and the gloomy music says Fear, Fear, Fear.  It's a brilliant ad for doing what conservatives have been doing for the past few years -- using opposition of the PATRIOT Act to paint Democrats as weak on terror and a threat to the safety of Americans.

No, Burns' ad wins.  It has MUCH more emotional impact.

"They make tallow out of cattle and money out of men." --Ferdinand Kürnberger (1821-1879) on Guilded Age America

by Pundimatic on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:23:26 PM PDT

•  Not so much the best (4+ / 0-)

as one of the most refreshing because he isn't playing Republican-lite with the PATRIOT Act.

What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite. -- Bertrand Russell

by RequestedUsername on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 11:49:37 AM PDT

•  I'd say it is one of the BEST (2+ / 0-)

because one the biggest fears of tradional conservatives was always governments ability to spy on them, particularly they imagined Clinton's black helicopters swooping in on them to get their guns.  So, I think this will really hit home.