View Diary: WA-08: It's a Toss Up (73 comments)

•  Not that I've seen (2+ / 0-)
    fgentile, kovie

I think there's enough to question just in King County, the Green River fumblings, the problems with management and money on his watch, the WTO problems-there's enough to start questioning his record.

But really, the most relevant thing is to get enough people to start questions his past so that he can't rely on it anymore and actually make the case for sending him back because he's a good Congressman.

"I have a philosophy about elections. I believe issues divide and values unite."--Gov. Brian Schweitzer

by Joan McCarter on Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 09:04:52 PM PDT

•  I live in Seattle (3+ / 0-)
      N in Seattle, mcjoan, Picot verde

in McDermott's 7th, right across the lake from the 8th. I can't really donate much, but is there anything specific that I can do to help? Are they in major need of volunteers at campaign headquarters, or is there anything they need done on this side of the lake (since many people from the 8th commute to work here)?

I've never worked on a campaign before so I have no idea where to begin, other than, of course, contacting her campaign. Thanks.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

by kovie on Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 09:15:41 PM PDT

•  Contact her campaign (2+ / 0-)
        Zack from the SFV, kovie

first off. There's probably some phone calling you could do from home, since it wouldn't be long-distance. Be here at 1:00 on Saturday to live blog with her, and ask!

by Joan McCarter on Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 09:19:04 PM PDT

•  Thanks (3+ / 0-)

And since the LD isn't an issue as I only have a cell phone and it's got more minutes than I'll ever use including free LD, do you think that other national campaigns could use me for phone calls and other work that can be done by phone and internet?

by kovie on Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 09:33:26 PM PDT

•  Yes! (3+ / 0-)

That's a great way to help.

by Joan McCarter on Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 09:37:29 PM PDT

•  Here's one way to do this (0+ / 0-)

You're probably already familiar with this program, but MoveOn.org has set up an online program where volunteers can sign up to call voters in their or other districts, at times and for periods of their own choosing. I'm going to sign up for it and do what I can to help.

I have some telemarketing and phone sales and service experience (which I hate, like most people), which will hopefully come in handy (although I kind of dread the inevitable irate and especially wingnut voters--but the cause is worth the pain in this case, obviously).

Here is the link:

I'm also going to look into doing some in-person volunteering, e.g. putting up signs, door to door canvassing, reminding people to vote at malls and such, and maybe doing some poll watching (although in Washington, where most people mail in their ballots, some of this might be moot). Darcy hasn't quite caught up to Reichert in the polls and every little effort could help make the difference.

Looking forward to your online blogging with her on Saturday!

by kovie on Thu Oct 12, 2006 at 09:30:50 PM PDT

•  Kovie (1+ / 0-)
        kovie

I have already volunteered, and went and canvassed for her. I also have an actblue page, and have raised over $500 for her by asking my friends to help. There are a lot of things you can do besides give money. I have helped McDermott too.

Darcy could only hope to be as good of congressman as straight talking Jim.

•  Thanks (1+ / 0-)
          RainyDay

I will look into these options. With so many nationalized and internationalized issues to obsess and worry over these days, it's easy to forget that ultimately all politics is local (or at least begins at and filters up from the local level).

by kovie on Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 09:46:55 PM PDT

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (45)
  • Elections (37)
  • Environment (35)
  • Media (34)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (33)
  • Republicans (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (28)
  • Barack Obama (27)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Civil Rights (25)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Jeb Bush (24)
  • Culture (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Bernie Sanders (18)
  • Labor (18)
  • White House (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site