View Diary: Sunday Talk - End of Daze! (Updated) (303 comments)

•  I'm still trying to come to grips (21+ / 0-)

with the 33%.  It drives me wild.  I wake up at night trying to figure out who these people are that support this goof-ball of a president.  I wake up in the middle of the night and think about it.  I turn into C-span and listen to the right calling in and although what I hear sounds like a bunch of ignorant souls ... I can't believe there's 33% of them.

The only thing that helps is the what I learned as the 12% rule.

The rule is base on a business decision that RCA made in the 60's.  In short, they based there business decision on the fact that 12% of IBM customer we're dissatisfied and if they could capture that 12% they would be in good shape.

Well, what happened was pretty bad.  They did indeed get a large percentage of IBM's dissatisfied 12% but what they (and all of us statistically challenged demographic types) learned was that the 12% would be dissatisfied no matter who the vendor was.

It seems that there is about 12% that will be satisfied or dissatisfied no matter what.

Well I feel better.  Rounding up that means that cuts the number down to 20%.

A SWAG of 10% for the religious right and 10% for the truly ignorant and/or do-or-die repubnik takes care of the rest.

Alas, I can now sleep.

(-9.00, -8.92) No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices. --Edward R. Murrow

by craigb on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 09:19:47 PM PDT

•  You should try and watch (5+ / 0-)

this movie Redstate. It will answer your question I believe.

•  What kills me (9+ / 0-)

is how the Democratic leadership doesn't act like Bush has 33%.  Now is the time to attack and discredit the entire conservative movement.  Bush and the rest of the conservatives are so weak right now -- attack!

Government and laws are the agreement we all make to secure everyone's freedom.

by Simplify on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 09:42:03 PM PDT

•  let me introduce you (14+ / 0-)

My co-worker is a blindered Republican.  She is very cowed by authority and overly dependent on "the way we've always done it."  She is freaked out by change, independent thought, and challenges to authority.  Also, freaked out by responsibility -- won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.  Also, prides herself on how "nice" (read: fake) she is, just like the nuns taught her.  Hopefully retiring soon.

My neighbor is a tough, wonderful, independent lady who takes great care of her yard, always helps out with our pets when we're out of town, badgers us into attending city hall meetings, and keeps her eye on things around the 'hood.  She has a high regard for people who do things the "right way," but is relatively tolerant of those who can't quite make the grade (e.g., us).  She keeps a stiff upper lip and is made nervous by touchy-feely Democrats who might blurt out that they're feeling depressed or otherwise not 100%.  She cannot abide weakness in herself or others.

Jung would have a field day with my brother, who projects his own darkest aspects onto others and relies heavily on law and order to keep us all safe.  He is petrified of gay pedophile clergymen, although he has converted to Judaism and never attends religious services.  Logic is inconsistent, yet emphatic; he sends his daughter to Catholic school, because, dammit, he thinks values are important.  I guess he has some kind of gay pedophile clergy detector.  There are terrorists plotting against his suburban neighborhood (and yours!) at all times.  Only continual vigilance can keep us truly safe from the crazy and dangerous forces that surround us.    Why, in New York they're trying to outlaw French fries, and in Sweden they're focing boys to pee sitting down!  Can you believe how invasive that is?!  Here in the States, we have liberals who would rather have terrorists crawling down their chimneys than let clean-as-the-driven-snow law enforcement listen in on a few of their phone calls.  Sheesh!  I mean, if you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide, right?

I'm sure we all know a few or twenty of these types.  They're really just people like us, with their own set of foibles and neuroses and blind spots.

Now, if we can just kneecap each one of them before 11/7 maybe we can keep them from thwarting us....

•  Well Lisa, it's been more than one (6+ / 0-)

Kossak that has pointed out that I live in rare air.  I live in a working neighborhood of black/white/Hispanic/Asian demographics.

It seems that there are a disproportionate amount of Ethiopian and Thai restaurants in the area and I think that the city council has done something to discourage chain fast food restaurants.  The City Council also is pro prostitution and coffee that hasn't reeked havoc on the rain forest.

I am a veteran and my political compass is 9.00 8.92 and I live in Berkeley.

So I am a little out side of the mainstream and rely on reports such as your's to let me know why I can talk to neighbor after neighbor ... work associate after work associate and not encounter anybody that is so deliusional to believe that G. W. Bush is doing a good job.

Thank you.

by craigb on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 10:27:15 PM PDT

•  green with envy (3+ / 0-)
          Ray Radlein, Mrcia, craigb

I also live and work in a pretty diverse area with ethnic restaurants on every corner, patronized by folks from all over the world. Most of the people seem un-engaged; lots of them don't have much money or education and I think issues outside of day to day getting by aren't compelling.  (That's not true for the 3 I mentioned in the earlier post -- they're just jackasses :-)

It's rare for me to have a head-nodding conversation about politics during my average day of work and errands.  Most of the people I know who think like me are from my son's progressive school, or friends I usually only talk to on the phone. My son and husband are simpatico, so home is pretty comfortable. It's weird, being surrounded by Republicans and feeling pretty alienated from them. At the same time, I have learned something about their habits and habitats.  It's like watching Mutual of Omaha (you have to be pretty old to get that reference).

•  Wild Life (7+ / 0-)

"...and here's Jim, wrestling a neocon to the ground. After tranquilizing him, we'll relocate him to a safe location, where he can plot world domination while scientists carefully observe him in his natural habitat. This way, we can learn more about these fascinating, if dangerous creatures.

"Join us next week, when we'll track down an entire herd of Rapture Rightists, and Jim gets his chance to tag and release a real, live Televangelist."

•  I met some of them today while canvassing (6+ / 0-)

I went out door to door for Charlie Brown CA-04 (dump Doolittle). Three hours of walking around in a pretty red area. There were a few died in the wool Repubs who thought that everything is going great. They were mostly polite (so were we), but were not about to change their minds. One man said of the Abramoff-Doolittle connection, that that's just politics. I wanted to bang my head against the wall.

It is a great danger for everyone when what is shocking changes. ~Graham Greene

by Liberaljentaps on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 10:22:56 PM PDT

•  Canvassed for Charlie too - (4+ / 0-)

What makes my heart soar is when I meet Republicans who are awake now and support Charlie, or when I meet some who are not yet decided , I give them the facts, then let them know how the Doolittle smear disinformation system is working and they are grateful. Helping America awaken one person at a time.

Doolittle is now doing the dirty tricks. They have been making robo calls to people late at night (3am), making it sound like it is from the Brown campaign. Anyone else heard of such a thing?

•  Wow, no, I haven't heard this (0+ / 0-)

Although one man yesterday complained about phone calls from Dems in general. He didn't mention any middle of the night stuff.

We did get a couple of complaints about some negative mailers sent out by Charlie's campaign. I'd heard about them, but not seen them. I was able to tell one woman who complained about the negativity that although I hadn't seen those, that I had heard some really negative radio spots from the Doolittle campaign. She was an undecided who took our flyer and said she would read up on Charlie. Seemed more open to hearing about him when she knew that Doolittle was also going negative.

It is a great danger for everyone when what is shocking changes. ~Graham Greene

by Liberaljentaps on Sun Oct 22, 2006 at 12:54:34 PM PDT

•  Wedding & Funeral Musician Here-- (8+ / 0-)

I go into their churches, I marry and bury them every month.

They're not crazy, they're just not focused. Our system is crazy. Our system as we have it allows the public square to be wholly owned by the corporatocracy, who are protected by our Bill of Rights against the people, against democracy, against civilization, against sanity.

It's a miracle that a majority is able to doubt the message of the owners.

We need to win under the rules that confine us to being barely able to speak at all. Then we need both to clean house but also to do the work our framers told us was necessary to bring our system up to date with the realities of our age.

We are called to speak for the weak, for the voiceless, for victims of our nation and for those it calls enemy....--ML King, "Beyond Vietnam"

by Gooserock on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 10:36:09 PM PDT

•  watch television awhile. the answer is partially (0+ / 0-)

there. we see baloney about people who are famous for nothing. we see how these silly excuses for entertainers have this and that crisis. all the while, i am desperately searching for my remote before the other side of my brain takes over and i throw my shoe or glass at the tv.

•  They are the same kind of people (1+ / 0-)
      craigb

that stay in abusive relationships

That gets lied to - such baldface lies that it blows your mind - and they say: Yes master more crap please

They get beaten up and they ask for more pretzels

But you are right - they are sick to the bone - and I am sure they will go to their grave (after OD'ing on the Kool-aid) saying Bush was great

because to do otherwise - they would have to admit to themselves that they were dumber than dirt -

and they just do not have that kind of courage -- or backbone

Proud to be a Bleeding Heart Liberal

by sara seattle on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 10:56:33 PM PDT

•  they are the ones who watch faus each week. (0+ / 0-)

it is where they get their brain drain medicine. they hum real loud when news about iraq comes on. they are so busy saying their mantras that bush knows best, that they keep any real information from coming in. sad!

•  There are still southerners (and sympathizers) (1+ / 0-)
      craigb

who are pissed off about losing the civil war.

There is still a group of people who are pissed off that in the 60's and a little beyond, they were made to feel like unhip losers by liberals - and they see the reign of Bush as payback for all their 'suffering'.

•  Sounds Like my Warmongering (1+ / 0-)
        Flann

father during Nam.  He went in supporting it but in the end was just as much against the war as I was but for the reason ... it wasn't being fought right.  Also since I served, he knew I'd take his head off if he ever said another good word about Viet Nam.

by craigb on Sun Oct 22, 2006 at 06:55:38 AM PDT

•  The Crazy Baseline (1+ / 0-)
      majcmb1

The best estimate I ever read was someone who deduced that the just under 20% of the vote that Alan Keyes got against Barrack Obama as the absolute crazy baseline of Republican support.

The way they figured it, both candidates were black, so that took racism out of play; and both candidates were religious as well. However, only one of the candidates was a batshit-crazy lunatic who lived in an entirely different state (physically; mentally, he lived on an entirely different planet).

So there you have it: the absolute floor. Twenty percent of the population (of Ilinois, at least) will vote for any object, living or dead, with an (R) next to its name.

•  I'll remember this (0+ / 0-)

It's about the closest thing I've seen to explain it all.

by craigb on Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 05:15:15 PM PDT