View Diary: In Support of Harold Ford (149 comments)

•  But let's face it: Maher is kind of a jackass (4+ / 0-)
    Eleanor A, Gator Keyfitz, ladylib, GoldnI

He's openly hostile to people of faith, and he's specifically NOT a Democrat.  He's made that clear. He's often funny and his program is often worthwhile, but he's not necessarily on our side -- when we're in power he'll be raking us over the coals at every opportunity as well.

There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right with America. -- Bill Clinton

by ThirstyGator on Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 08:54:55 AM PST

•  True on all counts... (1+ / 0-)
      esquimaux

...but as one of those evil secular humanist types, Constitution Firster and all, I find that whole Ten Commandments thing appalling.

•  So what are people running and winning on (2+ / 0-)
        tabbycat in tenn, GoldnI

in the mountain West?  You're in some not-necessarily-friendly territory yourself.  Are the Republicans trying to claim Democrats will drive everyone into poverty to save some spotted owls and church mice?  What are your folks doing to combat it?  Just curious.

The difference, I think, is that Nashville in particular is home to the Southern Baptist Convention, several huge religious publishers, and more churches per capita than any city in the United States.

(OK, I gotta admit I'm not a traditionally religious kinda gal and it's pretty hard for me to live with sometimes too.  I have a lot of family here, which is why I'm staying.)

Google Bomb: Bob Corker
        VOTE FORD: www.fordfortennessee.co

by Eleanor A on Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 08:59:47 AM PST

•  CO GOV (1+ / 0-)
          ThirstyGator

I'm sad to say that the fact that Ritter, our candidate for governor, is winning because he's anti-choice. That plus general dissatisfaction w/GOP (plus the fact that his opponent has all the appeal of a nasty vice principal) seems to be what's putting him over the top. But he also talks a lot about alternative energy, which is my great hope--that this will be more than just talk.

If Ford wanted to talk in his stump speech about the importance of his faith ( and on a personal note, if he was more NT than OT) in life, I'd say go with it. But the Ten Commandments on his official congressional business card? A GOOPer who did that would be the laughingstock of the netroots and (sotto voce) the whole Beltway Establishment. And rightly so.

•  I'm not defending it (6+ / 0-)

Just saying I understand it.  See the above about the Baptist Convention, etc.

One conversation that gets had a lot hereabouts is the fact the Republicans preach from the pulpit to their constituents about killing babies, etc.  Aside from the fact that it's completely illegal, it's a political reality, and it's one reason why the Republicans have been so successful at demonizing Democrats and progressive social issues.

This is probably where I'm going to get the troll ratings:  I think the powers that be on the national level just don't get it when it comes to this topic.  People in rural counties have been calling up in droves to the Dem office where I'm volunteering, to say Ford needs to be much more vocal in his support of gun ownership.

Say the word "gun" to a person living in Baltimore, and her mental image is an urban thug with an assault weapon.  Problem is, hunting is a beloved state pastime in many Southern states (another thing I hate - as an avowed bunny hugger - but is a political reality), and gun control is part of why the Democrats are successfully characterized as out of step on social issues by many Southern voters.

Same with religion.  Whether folks like it or not, churchgoing is part of the daily reality for many Southerners (and Midwesterners, and even rural voters in many other areas).  We have got to combat this business where religious people think the only option is Republicanism.  Democrats are starting to say things like 'raising the minimum wage is a moral issue,' and we've got to start framing things that way.  It's just not true the only issues that'll appeal to so-called values voters basing things on religion are abortion and gay marriage.

For the record, Ford is doing a bit of that.  He and Bill Clinton went to a COGIC church in Memphis yesterday (which is where I heard the 'minimum wage' line).  He and Obama are going to a couple more this Sunday.

I can see how progressives would be horrified at the idea, but I really think it's got to happen for Democrats to have a fighting chance of picking up purple states.

Google Bomb: Bob Corker
            VOTE FORD: www.fordfortennessee.co

by Eleanor A on Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 09:17:57 AM PST

•  I don't want to misquote Markos, but ... (4+ / 0-)

I think I remember him writing that gun control is a dead issue.  The NRA won. And he's right.  It was a HUGE wedge issue in the past, but it IS in the past.  The NRA, working hand-in-glove with the RNC, worked to convince nearly every voter between the coasts (not including Chicago) that the Democratic Party was going to take their guns, and for whatever reason, it resonated.

Now nearly every Dem candidate in a rural district has an ad showing in cammies loading birdshot.  We're mostly over the stigma, but guns are THE losing issue for our party in the South, right or wrong.

And honestly, there's something that makes even me uncomfortable about George W. Bush knowing that I own a  12-guage.  I just don't think it's any of his business.

by ThirstyGator on Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 09:36:48 AM PST

•  I think the business cards are creepy (5+ / 0-)

And unecessary.  And I'm a Christian.  But I'm also a Constitution-firster.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

Then again, if it helps put another vote in the Reid column I don't care if shows up to the Senate dressed as Moses.

by ThirstyGator on Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 09:06:04 AM PST

•  mutually exclusive (1+ / 0-)
          ThirstyGator

actually they are:
          "Thou shalt have no other God before me" is pretty much the anti-thesis of freedom of religion. In most basic terms, a statue of Vishnu is a graven image, isn't it?

•  But it's a personal decision (1+ / 0-)
            GoldnI

The point of freedom of religion is that I can believe you're wrong and you can believe I'm wrong on a spiritual basis, but neither of us can force our belief on anybody else.  "No other god before me" is a command to a personal believer, not a mandate that I convert you with the force of the state.

As far as graven images go, several Christian denominations are chock-full of 'em.

by ThirstyGator on Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 09:23:47 AM PST

•  yeah but...` (1+ / 0-)
              ThirstyGator

...we're talking about Congressman Harold Ford's official cards, handed out as a member of the Congress established by the Constitution of the United States. Not the Christmas Cards sent out by Mr Harold Ford, private citizen of Tennessee, or the tracts he drops in kids' bags on Halloween (and I bet even in Tennessee, that would get his house egged.)

•  Again, it's creepy (1+ / 0-)
                GoldnI

But being from a family of politicians, he probably focus-grouped it for maximum benefit to TN voters.

It also brings up something that isn't dealt with too often on this site:  At least in the south, African-American elected officials tend to be serious about their faith.  And their brand of Christianity often bears more resemblance to the Falwell brand than the Wallis brand.  As more black politicians are elected, it will be interesting to see how that conversation plays out within the party.

by ThirstyGator on Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 11:04:37 AM PST

•  There's nothing wrong with the ten commandments (0+ / 0-)

They just illustrate the GOP hypocrisy, since they seem to be breaking quite a few these days. There's no except in Thou shalt not kill. There's no except in Thou shalt not steal. There's no except in Thou shalt not bear false witness. I'm sure there are others which also apply.