View Diary: Could Senator Joe tip the Senate away from the Democrats? (87 comments)

•  Oh for god's sake... (3+ / 0-)
    peterborocanuck, Geekesque, morsadean

Can't you take two seconds to enjoy our victory before you start wringing your hands?

What a killjoy.

Flying Squid Studios - Cartoons to Rot Your Brain!

by Arken on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 07:40:16 AM PST

•  It's not handwringing. (14+ / 0-)

Joe's win has given him some huge and obnoxious strategic power.  I don't think he's just going to quietly caucus with the Dems, his ego is hurt.

He could declare himself a Republican and give control back to the GOP.  We're nowhere near as strong with only the House.

He could take SecDef and let Rell give the seat to a Republican, which would appear slightly less slimy but have the same effect.

Or, he could stay in the Senate, and every time something big and important comes up, he could dangle himself in front of the Democrats and the Republicans like a hooker looking for the biggest tip.

I don't think it's realistic to think that he will take the harmless route, given his previous behavior.  And our Schroedinger's Cat majority/minority leader is going to have to deal with it.  Which way will Joe jump?

•  I'm with Kismet (5+ / 0-)

This could be a big problem.  Seeing Shays survive as a moderate Republican after a fierce challenge, I have to wonder what message he's taking away from this experience.

•  Yes it is. (1+ / 0-)
        seamus

We won. Enjoy it for a second. It's not like the new Senate reconvines today. Enjoy our victory.

Flying Squid Studios - Cartoons to Rot Your Brain!

by Arken on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 07:46:54 AM PST

•  that would be risky (4+ / 0-)
        Zackpunk, david78209, Arken, Geekesque

Joe would be fried in Connecticut if he did this.  While Republicans were essential to his win, he would have lost if it weren't for the support that he received from Democrats.  He already has had a tough time of it, turning on the rest of his core supporters would be crazy.

But most importantly, I think Lieberman identifies with Dems too much to go Repug.

•  You'd think, but no (6+ / 0-)

Joe's support was from Republicans and low-information voters.  He could pull this and nobody would know.  He's pulled crap like this for years and people voted for him anyway.

•  yep...and SIX years till next election (0+ / 0-)

the overwhelming lust of the Republicans to keep control of Capitol Hill no matter what it costs the United States of America in blood and treasure...

by Osiris on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 07:55:24 AM PST

•  But in 2 years we can get rid of some others (0+ / 0-)
            Like Dole...

Then Joe's currency won't be worth quite so much, and it will be a new Congress, so the Majority Leader can decide how to handle him then.

Reid has a lot of carrots and sticks.  The question is how the whole thing is handled.  I increasingly suspect that Joe will not defect to join the administration.  He likes the Senate too much to take a 2-year MAXIMUM job.

Happy little moron, lucky little man. I wish I was a moron, my God, perhaps I am! -- Spike Milligan

by polecat on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 08:01:15 AM PST

•  In 2 years... (0+ / 0-)

...Bush and Cheney will be out of power, and far from the justice that could be brought upon them by sustained investigations in both houses, hopefully leading to votes to impeach or at least censure.  America needs this to happen now.

•  We have to survive those next two years, and (0+ / 0-)

There is a lot of stuff that needs to be fixed in the meanwhile.

I don't think we'll be impeaching Bush.  (Sadly.)

by polecat on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 08:46:33 AM PST

•  I Think You Have It Backwards (2+ / 0-)
          david78209, michaelroston

He's already toast in CT among Democrats - he's burned too many bridges to win a contested primary. He won't be able to replicate this year's win because the GOP will field a serious candidate next time hoping to pick off a three way race. So his only future is to actually run as the Republican and hope he can still hold the Independents and pick off 20% or so of the Dems.

•  then (0+ / 0-)

why did he get more than 1/3 of the Democratic vote?  He is toast among them?

•  He doesn't *have* to win a contested primary. (3+ / 0-)

Why should he? He didn't have to this time.

And Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer winked at him, and told the rest of us to fuck off.

If Lieberman screws the Senate Dems by leaving, I'll call Harry Reid's office to say "I told you so."

Real mature, I know, but hey, so's letting Joe Lieberman fuck the party over.

(granted, I didn't actually tell Harry Reid this directly, of course, unless he's been reading the rants of me and a thousand other angry DKos posters; I mean, I've been in the "Don't trust Joe Lieberman to be a loyal Democrat" camp for some time now, and I think it's pretty obvious that Joe's out for Joe, and he'll attack any Democrat he has to to protect himself)

The message for 2006 is: Republicans are a bunch of fucking crooks, and they're fucking up the country.

by Christopher on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 08:13:18 AM PST

•  I think the deal may already have been made. (1+ / 0-)
              michaelroston

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that the reason the Democratic heavyweights -- Reid, Schumer, Clinton, etc. -- stayed out of Connecticut was a deal that Lieberman laid out to them after the primary. I think he warned them that if they came in and campaigned for Lamont, that he would definitely switch parties after the election; but if they played nice with him, he'd stick with 'em instead of sticking it to 'em.

This could explain the hints that he was dropping in the last couple weeks, where he was saying that he'd remember who his friends were. It was a lightly-veiled warning and reminder to the party machinery to leave him alone, or else.

But I think, I hope, that when the dust settles, he'll caucus with the Democrats. He can tell as well as anyone which way the wind is blowing.

Lying about WMDs changed everything.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 08:20:54 AM PST

•  He didn't have to ThisTime.... (1+ / 0-)
              michaelroston

....only because there was no serious GOP candidate. That will not be the case next time - the GOP will be prepared with someone who could compete in a three way (insert Foley joke here).  He will have to either win a contested Democratic primary or run as a Republican next time to have any shot.

•  You think Lieberman identifies with Democrats... (0+ / 0-)

...too much to switch parties?

Can I bet money against that?

On second thought, I could also imagine Joe staying in the party just to fuck with us. So I take that idea of a bet back. But I'd argue that the only reason Lieberman wouldn't leave the party would be that he's trying to continue to screw it, and he decides he can do it better from inside than outside.

Also: how, exactly, would Joe be fried in Connecticut if he did this? Do you think he'd be too bashful to spurn a second primary defeat, six years from now? Joe doesn't seem himself as a Senator from Connecticut any more; he sees himself as a Senator from Bipartisanville, and he thinks that makes him the King of DC.

by Christopher on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 08:08:47 AM PST

•  Lieberman identifies with Dems? (0+ / 0-)
          Shuuure, we saw that in the primary, didn't we?

Lieberman identifies with Lieberman.

•  Pure conjecture, and highly (0+ / 0-)

unlikely. To win Connecticut he had to run back to the left and say he would caucus with Dems. He is a blue state Senator. The Dems will give him what he wants in terms of commitee chairs to get the majority.

Barbara Lee speaks for me!

by Crestingwave on Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 08:21:52 AM PST