View Diary: My predictions (269 comments)

•  I'd rather make new predictions... (14+ / 0-)

...than dwell on old ones:

1. BUSH WILL TOTALLY LOSE IT. He is petulant and testy by nature, and verges on apopleptic when challenged. Soon his public appearances will be kept brief and tightly scripted so as to keep the level of his personal implosion hidden from the public.
    1. WITH THE WHITE HOUSE IN DISARRAY the war will be on between the different factions, and a whispering campaign of leaks from 1600 will become part of the dailynews cycle.
    1. THE WAR WITH IRAN IS OFF THE TABLE, unless Bush truly goes all the way into ga-ga-cu-koo-ville.
    1. THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT WILL BECOME BUSH'S LAST REMAINING BASE. They're used to being all the way ga-ga-cu-koo-ville, and will never admit that God was wrong about Bush.
    1. SENATE AND HOUSE REPUBLICANS WILL NOW TALK ABOUT THEMSELVES IN THE SECOND PERSON, blaming it all on 'a party' that 'forgot it's principles' in much the same way that Ted Haggard 'forgot' he was heterosexual.

p.s. Saving my predictions for Iraq for a weekend diary.

"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." -- Ernest Hemingway

by spread the word IRAQ NAM on Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 12:08:28 AM PST

•  He was losing it today in that presser (5+ / 0-)

I was watching in disbelief as he damn near fessed up to being incompetent, in that dumb drunk frat-boy "hey I didn't know she was your girlfriend, bro'!" kinda way. He's toast. He's never going to be able to handle accountability.

Bush is the Disaster President: Iraq--He Lied & People Died; Katrina--He Clowned Around While People Drowned

by el ganador on Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 12:10:56 AM PST

•  Only the ones who plead guilty (1+ / 0-)
      spread the word IRAQ NAM

I think that only that ones that need to cop a plea for taking bribes will be willing to come out like Haggard and say

I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life.

•  That last quote: (1+ / 0-)
        Fred in Vermont

Was that Haggard, or Bush at today's press conference?

My apologies to students who took my U.S. Government class in the 90s: evidently the Constitution doesn't limit Presidential power after all. Who knew?

by Major Danby on Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 01:59:36 AM PST

•  This has already started (3+ / 0-)

Those who were re-elected and the party operatives who I've heard interviewed have all been talking about how the GOP lost its bearings.

The GOP used to have 235 but now has approximately 206 seats in Congress, almost all of whom are incumbents.

As I see it, this isn't massive turnover.  Removing 29 out of 235 isn't exactly purging the party.  I'd say that retaining damn near 90% of the members of a party that "lost its bearings" doesn't necessarily mean that the party has been cleaned up.  Those who "lost their bearings" are largely still there.

And that doesn't even address the Administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." Steven Wright

by gsbadj on Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 04:04:20 AM PST

•  I agree Spread (1+ / 0-)
      spread the word IRAQ NAM

I think you are right. In the words of Dick Gephardt, " Bush does not play well with others".  ( I think it is a Gephardt quote, Edwards and Kerry later used it and said another Democrat said that..I think Gephardt said it in the primaries. )

I am out shopping for new Drapes.

by wishingwell on Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 02:50:05 AM PST

•  yes, his base (2+ / 0-)
      bree, spread the word IRAQ NAM

Good point. However, some of that base is shrinking. I think some polling showed that One Third of Conservative Christians voted for Democrats this time. But then, I often wonder if pollsters confuse the Religious Right with the Religious moderates. There is a big difference, there. As for instances, the far Religious right loves Santorum. But it was the " the moderately conservative" and of course, the Moderate to Liberal " Christians who voted for Casey along with everyone else. LOL!

I am out shopping for new Drapes.

by wishingwell on Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 02:53:25 AM PST