View Diary: Ford's Loss - Why the Rec'd Diary is wrong (and dishonest) (349 comments)

•  I've lived in Tennessee my whole life (5+ / 0-)

and will thank people who don't know it as well as I do not to lecture me on it.  Yes, we are a conservative state, but we sent only Dems to the Senate not so long ago.  This is a state that followed FDR, and later Reagan, and then Clinton.  It didn't follow Gore for a variety of reasons, pretty much none of which have anything to do with his actual stances on issues.

Most in the base voted for Ford even tho they were pissed at his comments.  Crusader's point was that 21 more votes per preconct would have won it, and that many people may have stayed home or voted another way.

•  ok but that 21 votes per precinct number (2+ / 0-)
      illinifan17, PointGuard

is ignoring the votes he probably would have lost had he run more to the left.

Chuck Schumer is not the enemy

by AnnArborBlue on Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 10:43:29 AM PST

•  Some folks here don't read very well (6+ / 0-)

Crusader was not suggesting that Ford run to the left. He was suggesting that he respect all of his voting base, including progressives.

When he referenced the NJ case as having to do with gay marriage, he was dishonest and pandering to the homophobes. He could have deflected the question but he chose to make political capital at the expense of gay citizens.

In my opinion he got what he deserved, and furthermore, anyone who actually believes that he should be the Chairman of the DNC has mush for brains.

"I don't want to weaken the Patriot Act. I want to repeal it." - Jon Tester

by slatsg on Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 11:35:46 AM PST

•  my point is that he probably gained (0+ / 0-)

quite a few votes by the very act of criticizing liberals and progressives.

Chuck Schumer is not the enemy

by AnnArborBlue on Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 11:46:21 AM PST

•  THAT is precisely the issue of contention (0+ / 0-)

I don't see a thread of evidence in support of Ford winning one single vote for his progressive-bashing. That is what it really comes down to - that's what this whole bruhaha is really about.

Damn George Bush! Damn everyone that won't damn George Bush! Damn every one that won't put lights in his window and sit up all night damning George Bush!

by brainwave on Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 02:02:08 PM PST

•  Damn right and good for you for saying it! (3+ / 0-)
          Margot, slatsg, Ishmael

Folks here are missing the point that he could've just sidestepped the whole NJ Court ruling, but he went the extra, extra to not only bash gays rights, but also to completely ignore that the ruling had was more about assuring gays have equal rights, then whether or not the term marriage should be used!

One of my gay friends, disgusted by the African American community's stand on gay marriage told me he prayed for an anti-affirmative action amendment would come up in his state, so he could vote for it and freely tell people why!

Assholes like Ford completely ignore what Coretta Scott King, a firm supporter of gay rights, once said:

"Gay and lesbian people have families, and their families should have legal protection, whether by marriage or civil union," she said. "A constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages is a form of gay bashing and it would do nothing at all to protect traditional marriages."

So, as I said earlier, I hoped Ford would win so we'd have a shot at getting the Senate, so the fact that we got it and he still lost was the sweetest irony of all. So fuck him in the eye and if retards like Carville want to put the racist bitch in charge of anything, I'll switch my party affiliation in a heartbeat!

•  I wouldn't quite go that far (0+ / 0-)

I wouldn't call Ford a racist. A bigot? You bet he is.

Affirmative action should stand on its own merits. An anti-affirmative action initiative passed here in Michigan. In my opinion, anti-affirm and anti-gay intiatives have as a common basis a inherent bigotry.

Now that it has passed however, I will encourage females to sue under that law. Men don't realize it but girls make up 66% of the top high school graduates in the nation. So if we are going to base college admissions on merit.....talk about a sweet irony.

"I don't want to weaken the Patriot Act. I want to repeal it." - Jon Tester

by slatsg on Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 01:42:09 PM PST

•  He didn't have to run to the left ... (0+ / 0-)

it had to do with his bashing Dems ... Running to the left .. and bashing the left are two different things

•  What he fails to consider (3+ / 0-)

is that maybe some people liked what he did.
      Maybe some people decided to vote for him just because he wasn't going to take it lying down.  He was a fighter.
      This seems to be an equally plausible situation.  Maybe he would have done worse if he hadn't spouted off.  Because Crusader's diary was entirely speculation, it's only fair to be able to combat it with more speculation.

There are atheists in foxholes. But there are no Evangelicals.

by Sidof79 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 10:46:48 AM PST