View Diary: TX-22: Sekula-Gibbs continues to make ass out of herself (152 comments)

•  Are there any completely batshit crazy wackos (19+ / 0-)

that get elected as Democrats?  I know we had that Trafficant guy a few years ago, but it seems like the Republican party is just loaded with them.  I could probably name 10 of them off the top of my head.  How do these people actually get elected?  I really want to know.  When I think about running, all I see are obstacles.  Do I really just need to lose my mind and put an 'R' next to my name to get elected to Congress?

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson [-4.25, -5.33]

by GTPinNJ on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 09:35:31 AM PST

•  of course not (2+ / 0-)
      Adam B, stilwell

all Democrats are wonderful and all Republicans are "evil."  I'm as partisan as anyone else, but this is ridiculous...

•  That should do it. (1+ / 0-)
      sccs

And don't forget to yap about "god" a lot.

Everybody talkin' 'bout Heaven ain't goin' there -- Mahalia Jackson

by DaveW on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 09:41:06 AM PST

•  Bat---- Dems (5+ / 0-)

Jim Trafficant, Cynthia McKinney.  That's it recently.

William Jefferson is grossly corrupt and still running for reelection.  Does that count?

How about Joe Lieberman, who is apparently somehow sick in the head (a case of Dubya-fever)?

•  Corruption doesn't count. (2+ / 0-)
        epcraig, sccs

It's easy to see how people can become corrupt after being elected, or get elected as a result of corruption.  My question is how do people that give indications that they are simply not right in the head get elected to Congress.

by GTPinNJ on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 09:52:12 AM PST

•  Zell? (4+ / 0-)
          wishingwell, LordMike, enough, GTPinNJ

"I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor." King George III

by ogre on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 10:04:50 AM PST

•  Speaking of Zell... (3+ / 0-)
            wishingwell, armadillo, Giodude

I was channel flipping and saw Tweety on Donny Deutsch's show on CNBC, and they played that clip where Zell Miller said he wished he could challenge Chris Matthews to a duel.

Zell is/was seriously batshit crazy.

•  As much as I dislike Zell, (0+ / 0-)

I think he got a bad rap on that one.

They were having a nice interview until Matthews said this:

MATTHEWS:  Well, let me ask you, when Democrats come out, as they often do, liberal Democrats, and attack conservatives, and say they want to starve little kids, they want to get rid of education, they want to kill the old people...

Then Zell starts getting angry.  It looks like he gets confused about what Matthews was saying.

MILLER:  I am not saying that.  Wait a minute.

MATTHEWS:  That kind of rhetoric is not educational, is it?

MILLER:  Wait a minute.

Now, this is your program.  And I am a guest on your program.

Matthew's question was basically this "Don't you think liberal Democrats are wrong when they mischaracterize conservatives."  I think Zell heard "Conservatives want to starve little kids, get rid of education and kill the old people."  Any conservative would get angry about that.

A few lines later Zell says

MILLER:  Well, you are saying a bunch of baloney that didn‘t have anything to do with what I said up there on the (CROSSTALK)

The whole rest of the interview was Zell getting angrier and angrier because he thought Matthews was picking at him.  It's silly to challenge someone to a duel, but he just got angry over a question that he misheard.

Cry "Mandate!" and let slip the hounds of accountability.

by sagra on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 12:03:30 PM PST

•  I've worked as a political consultant for many (6+ / 0-)

candidates. I would say 20-25% are pretty nuts. And if they aren't, their spouses are!

"When thought is too weak to be simply expressed, it's clear proof that it should be rejected." Luc de Clapiers

by RudiB on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 09:45:00 AM PST

•  Nutty candidates (1+ / 0-)
        sccs

Candidates require some sense of security before they launch a campaign in which their positions, their lives and their families go under the microscope (its really quite a barbaric process).

Some candidates are secure in themselves and are pretty solid people.  Some candidates are secure in their delusions and truely need some professional care (like 24 hour care).

Spouses...they have a whole different set of pathologies.  Little known fact: Bacras were invented for candidate's spouses.

•  Well (5+ / 0-)
      Pithy Cherub, wishingwell, sagra, epcraig, sccs

There's always Joe Lieberman... oh, wait.  You said "elected as Democrats."  Nevermind.

Chairman Conyers, you may call your first witness.

by rabel on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 09:52:17 AM PST

•  Why hijack the topic completely in the (0+ / 0-)

1st comment?  Wasn't this diary about a batshit crazy REPUBLICAN?  Why bring up whether there are (or not) wacko Dems?  What's the point?

•  It was largely a rhetorical question... (0+ / 0-)

I was trying to point out that there are a lot of Republicans who fall into this category and relatively few Democrats.  The ones we have had that were mentioned (Trafficant, Miller) have been either explicitly or implicitly purged from the party.

by GTPinNJ on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 10:42:37 AM PST

•  True, but it diverted discussion from (0+ / 0-)

the topic which was a REPUBLICAN nut-case.

Why even bring up Democratic nut-cases? There are PLENTY of Republicans to worry about.  "Yes, but what about ours" just seems... well, non-productive.

•  I think the discussion it spawned (0+ / 0-)

focused on quite a few Republican nut-cases.  The fact of the matter is, there shouldn't be any nut cases in Congress, no matter what the party.  I'm still curious how the hell they get elected.

by GTPinNJ on Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 11:06:41 AM PST

•  My vote for repub crazy (0+ / 0-)

No one beats Roscoe Bartlett. I knew people who knew him before he got into office and he was a lunatic then. He'd go off on strange tangents when he was lecturing as a professor.

•  Jim Moran (0+ / 0-)
      Well, there's Jim Moran:
      Moran's electoral appeal has endured through personal and political troubles that have alternately turned voters and colleagues against him and drawn them to his side.

That trail included a bitter divorce; an incident in which Moran grabbed an 8-year-old boy who he said demanded his car keys; a dispute in which Moran shoved a House colleague; and controversies over his acceptance of two personal loans from creditors with business interests in legislation he supported.

In March 2003, Moran acknowledged saying at an antiwar forum in Reston that American Jews were pushing the county into war with Iraq. The remark infuriated American Jewish leaders and some House Democrats and led Moran to give up a leadership post in the House Democratic Caucus.

•  i live in District 22 (1+ / 0-)
      rocketito

after gibbs, i almost miss Tom Delay. i mean, Delay made people afriad of Texans. Gibbs makes a joke out of Texas. and we already have George embarrassing us enough.

GOD. this woman represents ME!!!! january can't come fast enough.

and i said ALMOST miss Delay. not that i actually do.

Sekula-Rodriguez-Gibbs embarrasses Texas & Texas women.