View Diary: House Leadership: Intel Committee (w/ POLL) (79 comments)

•  I heard on NPR (0+ / 0-)

that there's talk of Harmon not even getting a seat at the intel committee.  I heard no context though.

"In the beginning the universe was created. This has been widely criticized and generally regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

by LithiumCola on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 01:53:37 PM PST

•  Oops Harman. (0+ / 0-)

Harmon is on that delightful TV show NCIS nowadays and not available for committee assignments.

by LithiumCola on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 01:55:29 PM PST

•  It seems she sold her soul to AIPAC (0+ / 0-)

to get the chairmanship, and in the process lost even her seat...

"I should like to be able to love my country and still love justice" ---Albert Camus

by peaceandprogress on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 01:58:49 PM PST

•  Harman ran for governor of CA a while back. She (4+ / 0-)
      jxg, peaceandprogress, elliott, kurt

has been shown to be a lightweight in every respect, and does not get the bigger picture on things in any category. Up until very recently, she was still defending the WMD argument for invading Iraq. Harman has many detractors as a result. I think Pelosi's wise to keep Harman out of leadership positions.

•  I've read about the '98 Gov race (3+ / 0-)

She had a big lead from late 1997 until a few weeks before the primary in June '98. Then suddenly, that big ball of charisma, Lt. Gov. Gray Davis, managed to take the lead and beat her.

Current House tally: 232 Democrats, 199 Republicans; 3 recounts, 1 GOP/Dem runoff (TX-23)

by Nathaniel Ament Stone on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 02:10:05 PM PST

•  "big ball of charisma" (2+ / 0-)
          Geekesque, dotcommodity

LOL!

by peaceandprogress on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 02:14:29 PM PST

•  Yes, she led for awhile, being a moderate woman, (1+ / 0-)
          Geekesque

fresh face, not much strong competition. But then the gaffes started-- she clearly had trouble answering not very hard policy questions, didn't study up properly. That started the downward spiral for her in that race, and Gray Davis is very much the policy wonk even if he's as gray as gray can be.

•  Not Exactly True... (5+ / 0-)

She never had a big lead. I lived in her district. She was never terribly close to the lead, save for a one-month burst in March of '98 when she started her air war.

Davis had the earliest lead because of his name rec. Checchi carpet-bombed in the early winter and got the lead. Then Harman got on the air, and took a two-point lead over Checchi. By April, she and Checchi had been overwhelmed by the Gray Davis express (ahem...).

I think she was counting on catching fire by virtue of the fact that she was the only woman in the field.

The net result was this district having a Republican Congressman for exactly one term--the actually very likeable moderate Steve Kuykendall. Harman edged him in 2000 to reclaim the seat.

"It. Is. About. Winning."

by Steve Singiser on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 02:22:12 PM PST

•  Yes, that's how it was (0+ / 0-)

Thanks, Steve. I forgot about Checchi, you're right that that's how it went down. Harman did have a lead for a short while, but couldn't hold it. She really lacked substance in the race against Davis, who could recite any part of a budget or legal statute any time, or give you a pretty good idea of his policy proposal for any issue.

•  I've been wondering what the problem (0+ / 0-)

with Harman is? I couldn't seem to find anything on the internet other than she and Pelosi don't get along.

Normally, I would say Harman should get it because of seniority, but if it's true she is still arguing for the war because of WMD, then I definitely think she should NOT head the committee.