View Diary: House Leadership: Intel Committee (w/ POLL) (79 comments)

•  Forgive the probably stupid question... (3+ / 0-)
    Land of Enchantment, kurt, AmySmith

I've never fully understood how seniority works with these appointments and how much discretion the Speaker actually has. So I'd be grateful if anyone wants to fill in the gap in my education and explain:

Why are these the only choices?

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. -Douglas Adams

by wandabee on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 01:56:47 PM PST

•  Intel seniority (2+ / 0-)
      kurt, wandabee

Harman was the ranking member, the most senior Dem on the committee.

Hastings was second in seniority.

Reyes was third in seniority.

It's highly unusual to go any further down the seniority ladder than that.

Current House tally: 232 Democrats, 199 Republicans; 3 recounts, 1 GOP/Dem runoff (TX-23)

by Nathaniel Ament Stone on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 01:58:53 PM PST

•  Just for my curiosity... (1+ / 0-)
        kurt

do you know who is fourth?

"I should like to be able to love my country and still love justice" ---Albert Camus

by peaceandprogress on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 01:59:48 PM PST

•  Well, I'm confused (2+ / 0-)
        jj32, kurt

It was my recent understanding that seniority is NOT a consideration in the Intelligence Committee, and that the Chairperson is term limited. It would in fact require a waiving of the rules to name Harman as Chair for the 110th Congress, and further, Pelosi can create an entirely new committee of all new names.

Let the great world spin for ever down the ringing grooves of change. - Tennyson

by bumblebums on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 02:46:14 PM PST

•  I heard this as well (2+ / 0-)
          kurt, AmySmith

I heard, in fact, that this is the ONLY committee where seniority is not at all an issue. Why I dont know, but it certainly explains why we are having a discussion on who should be chair of intel, when the chairs of every other committee seem decided.

In an ironic turnaround, Iraq brought regime change to the U.S. - Amy Poehler

by jj32 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 02:54:59 PM PST

•  That's my understanding as well. I think it's (0+ / 0-)

assumed that the chair will come from the existing membership for experience and knowledge.  I could be wrong though

•  From Late Edition (CNN) today (2+ / 0-)
          jj32, kurt

Interview with Congressmen James Clyburn:

CLYBURN: The chairman the House Intelligence Committee should be whoever the new speaker, Nancy Pelosi, would like for it to be. I don't know why anybody is saying that, you know, that Alcee Hastings is the choice. I don't know what her choice is.

But I do know this. I know what the rules are regarding this committee. I know that time has expired for the current ranking member. And for her to stay would require a waiver of the rules. And I do believe that we ought to be very careful how we start out our new administration or new power with granting a whole lot of waivers.

There are a lot of people on that committee. We don't even know what the composition of the committee is going to be. Because the committee starts out brand new in every Congress. So Nancy Pelosi will be naming the members of that committee, and then she will be making the determination as to who should chair it.

Now, for us to say now, we know exactly who that's going to be, there are other members on that committee that's got a lot of ability. I know that Sylvestre Reyes is on there. I know that Anna Eshoo is on there. Personally, I like and respect Alcee Hastings. And I do not agree with the fact that just because he would move to chair, would be something different from being a member of the committee.

by bumblebums on Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 02:56:46 PM PST