View Diary: The GOP's Iraq dilemma (220 comments)

•  Look (2+ / 0-)
    hoplite9, auditor

I'm in Dallas Texas and we just won all of the county wide offices including 42 judgeships. Houston, too, is a plurality democratic town and Austin and San Antonio have been for some time. We picked up seats, not yet a majority, in the state legislature. I think we are looking at the end of Lyndon Johnson's loss of the South for a generation. And Howard Dean was right, the red necks with the confederate flag decals on their pick up trucks will vote their economic interests if the candidate will approach them that way. The Reagan Democrats (my late father was one) are pretty much over. The republicans have the deep confederacy but even that's getting weak for them. The surprising demographic is white, working class men who are starting to come back the party. Hide and watch.

"If I pay a man enough money to buy my car, he'll buy my car." Henry Ford

by johnmorris on Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 09:56:52 PM PST

•  Funny You Don't Mention... (0+ / 0-)

...that none of those places are majority white anymore.  About the only place that's still mostly White in Austin, and there you have the demographic I'm talking about: upscale, well-educated and socially liberal.  Plus in Austin you have university and government and tech employees, all of whom tend to vote Democratic.

Sure, we do well where there are lots of Blacks and Latinos (and in Houston, Asians).  But what about all those places that are mostly White and were Democratic 20 years ago and where Dems can't get elected dogcatcher?

The revolution will not be televised, but we'll analyze it to death at The Next Hurrah.

by Dana Houle on Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 10:01:27 PM PST

•  Here's why I don't (0+ / 0-)

like the "Working class is so stupid it only votes on god, guns and gays" meme: It serves as an excuse for the oligarchic, corporo-centric Dems who want to use social issues the same way Republicans do, to prevent liberal economics. As long as they can convince you that any attempt at a graduated income tax, universal health care or protected pensions will cost us roe and the separation of church and state, we get to continue our 30 year slide into poverty. Progressives in the last election did appeal to working class white men, they did it by opposing globalization and talking about health care. I know that scares you and Robert Rubin but its a fact, the stats are there and you can't ignore them any more.

"If I pay a man enough money to buy my car, he'll buy my car." Henry Ford

by johnmorris on Thu Dec 28, 2006 at 04:44:53 AM PST

•  Dude, Give It Up (1+ / 0-)
          thered1

Nothing you've written scares me.  The only thing close to scaring me is that you're too stubborn to admit you're wrong.

And yeah, me and Bob Rubin hang out all the time.  We talk about my parents, neither of whom graduated HS, and about how my dad was a truck driver and my mom a hairdresser, and how much they benefited from CAFTA.

I don't know this, but I suspect you've got much less first-hand knowledge of working class people than I do, because it's where I'm from, it's my family, and because I've been doing politics in middle and working class communities for over 15 years.

by Dana Houle on Thu Dec 28, 2006 at 05:52:16 AM PST

•  I was (0+ / 0-)

a union Carpenter for 20 years. My dad was a truck driver. I'm still working construction, though I put myself through engineering school so now I run the job. What, exactly, am I wrong about? Did we lose the last election while I wasn't looking? Is Testor not in the Senate? Webb? Did you read the "...Kansas" article? Are you another surrender Dem, ready to give up both the working class and the south and try to make it without unions and white men?  You bet I'm stubborn but if you want to show me to be wrong you have to bring some facts, which you have so far failed to do.

"If I pay a man enough money to buy my car, he'll buy my car." Henry Ford

by johnmorris on Thu Dec 28, 2006 at 09:55:26 AM PST

•  Yup, Keep It Up (0+ / 0-)

I hate the working class, and you've proven it.  Despite the fact that I've worked for organized labor, you've proven that I'm a "surrender Dem."

Bluster outdoes thinking, right?

Whatever, make up whatever positions you want for me as a way to avoid what I argued.

by Dana Houle on Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 10:38:58 PM PST

• Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • International (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site