View Diary: (Heart) Breaking News (209 comments)

•  YESSS!!! (14+ / 0-)

Diary this!  It's the perfect response. No political message.

Thank you for publicly expressing support for our military personnel who are in harms way. Please feel free to copy this flier and distribute wherever you can.

Here are some tangible, easy things you can do to support our men and women in uniform, including our wounded personnel:

Include where to send calling cards to wounded personnel, where to send care packages to troops in-theater, and internet links to support programs.

Make it 100% positive. Don't bother with irony--they have no irony gene. The very act of placing this under the wiper blade of their mega-super-gasguzzler is enough. Enjoy the private joke that they could never understand.

Blessed are the arrogant...for they shall be really impressed with themselves.

by homogenius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 08:32:45 PM PST

•  great intro copy! (3+ / 0-)
      homogenius, ksingh, llbear

thanks for that terrific first paragraph. especially "feel free to copy..." great suggestions.

and you're right about keeping it irony free. it will be a "put your money where your yellow sticker is" moment. if it gets more calling cards, etc. to more troops... that's the best outcome of all.

I wouldn't mind turning into a vermilion goldfish. --Henri Matisse

by isis2 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 09:07:31 PM PST

•  I don't mean to sound "preachy". (5+ / 0-)

But we win (meaning the cause of justice/democracy/integrity) when we do good and fly under the radar of the rethugs.

These yutzes deserve to have their pathetic, fat, upwardly mobile, neocon, yellowbellied, chickenhawk faces rubbed in the dirt. The sweltering, mine-infested, Iraqi dirt.

So we spread a message of taking care of our people in uniform. And if it so happens that we target this message to the clueless, then so be it. But we target it to the 'Made-in-China-magnet-SUV' crowd.

The neocon/rethugs can't do that. They put ideology into everything they make.

Blessed are the arrogant...for they shall be really impressed with themselves.

by homogenius on Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 09:26:14 PM PST

•  It's even better, because... (2+ / 0-)
        homogenius, drewfromct
        you don't know for sure why they are displaying that magnet.

Most are, no doubt, the lazy self-satisfied folks of the stereotype. But you can't ever tell which of those magnets are being displayed in all honesty by someone who has a family member over there. A diatribe aimed against the first kind would be exceedingly hurtful to the mother of a soldier at risk.

If you keep it positive, you won't hurt anyone.

Folly is fractal: the closer you look at it, the more of it there is. - TNH

by Canadian Reader on Sat Dec 30, 2006 at 01:24:35 PM PST

•  Very well said. (0+ / 0-)

I'm not sure I got that across. There is power in doing good for its own sake. You're absolutely right about not being hurtful to people who display these magnets earnestly. And we have no way of knowing what kind of seeds we plant with the stereotypical first kind you describe. So we do something the neocons are incapable of doing--we do good deeds without an overt political message. What a concept.

Blessed are the arrogant...for they shall be really impressed with themselves.

by homogenius on Sat Dec 30, 2006 at 08:49:44 PM PST

•  I can do this... and post it (3+ / 0-)
      Debby, AllisonInSeattle, homogenius

on my website for download....

But I need help.  Can someone get me links or contact info (such as sending something to Walter Reed or overseas) for things we can do besides phone cards?

I'm bad bad bad.  I haven't been following what we can do to support the troops, so I'm not especially informed.

I need the most common things we can do:  phone cards, care pkgs, and what else civilians can do.

I'm pretty good at this "flyer" stuff.  It's what I love to do.  I make them all the time for my 2 small businesses.

... :)

•  Further down this page there are references to... (1+ / 0-)
        homogenius

www.anysoldier.com or www.treatanysoldier.com, both apparently the same site.  They will prepare a package for you--different themes of entertainment, snacks, hygiene, etc. and send them out to service members who have agreed to distribute packages to troops who aren't getting anything in the mail.  The distribution system is necessary because, I gather, packages may not be simply sent along with the address of "any soldier."  There are probably other organizations doing this as well--I just happen to know about this one.

•  AnySoldier.com (2+ / 0-)
          homogenius, Strawberrybitch

I've been sending items via the AnySoldier site for over two years.  You can either follow some links & send a "pre-made" package, or you can peruse the list of postings and respond to an individual one.  Lemme go look for a longer posting I made in a comment about utilizing them; then I'll be back to post it here.

Anyway, they're good folks.  I just returned from the local Linens-n-Things to purchase a bunch of "50% off" tins of hot chocolate, tea, coffee, etc. that are frequently requested, esp. by those in Afghanistan.

I like the flyer idea.

One final thought on phone cards: the best place I've found to buy them is Sam's Club, because you can get a "pack" of 10 or so 100 minute cards, instead of the ones for 500, 800 or 1200 minutes.

•  More on AnySoldier.com (5+ / 0-)

[reprint of a comment I posted on this subject a couple of months ago]

I've been sending packages via AnySoldier.com for two years.  I have several suggestions.

First, some details:  you go to the AnySoldier.com site, and individuals have postings which list their needs.  This can run from a lonely soldier who just wants mail or an occasional package to a nurse at an orphanage or hospital requesting items for her patients.  You can scroll through the listings and view the various requests.

Addresses of the individuals posting are not available.  You have to "request" -- fill in your name, address, e-mail etc., and the  address(es) will be sent to you.  You can only request 3 addresses per day.

1. For those of you for whom money is tight, may individuals mostly want communication.  While it's great to send more, a letter, postcard, drawing by your kid -- each would be appreciated.

2. The US Post Office has two ways to cut down the cost of your generosity. There's a "flat rate priority envelope" that goes for $4.05 postage.  There are TWO "flat rate priority boxes" that need $8.10.  In all cases, weight is irrelevant, as is distance being sent.  In other words, you can fill one of these with heavy magazines or books, or PowerBars, juice boxes, etc., and just pay the flat rate postage.  You can get a surprising amount of stuff in, even in the flat rate envelope.  [Just be sure to get the boxes with the red stamped "FLAT RATE" on them.]

3. You will have to fill out a customs form, but these are available at the PO and only require minimal information.

4. Because the boxes are sent to an APO or FPO, the "flat rate postage" applies, and the boxes get there relatively fast (10 days to 2 weeks in my experience).  Of course if the person to whom you're sending is at a Forward Operating Base somewhere out in the country, it will take longer.

5. Among the information listed on AnySoldier is the number of times the address has been requested.  So you can see if someone's been asked for 110 times or 3.  You can also see how many individuals (male/female) the poster is requesting for.  Sometimes it's just him/her + a few buddies; sometimes a whole bunch.

6. There's a fairly good "search" feature in the middle of the main page.  You can use this to find specific items that might be requested.  I got started here because my teenage son subscribed to three sports magazines, and I wanted to "recycle" them.  I've also used the search feature to find medics working in orphanages or clinics in the countryside who are looking for items for children.

7. I agree with the comments above about being sensitive to "politicizing."  I began my own work @ AnySoldier just wanting soldiers to know that "Blue State" folks cared about them, and I've struggled with how to communicate without being proseletizing.  I now end my letters with "all of us 'stateside,' whatever our political persuasion, want you home swiftly and safely." Because I worked for the election of one of the "Fighting Dems," I also include that fact, plus the fact that several vets won election.  I try to keep it as "vanilla" as possible, but figure this will give a hint without being overbearing.

Thanks for the recommendation of this site.  The letters and pictures will touch your heart.

•  Again, the (3+ / 0-)
        homogenius, beaukitty, gfv6800

Fisher House is nationaly recognized as a model in rehab for returning soldiers.

(-9.00, -8.92) No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices. --Edward R. Murrow

by craigb on Sat Dec 30, 2006 at 08:28:28 AM PST

•  Perfect, thanks for stepping up (1+ / 0-)
        homogenius

If you do one flyer, then could possible improve later, is my take on getting all the links.

That is, better to do something good, than wait for it to be perfect. Just my 2cents.

Be good to each other. It matters. [me] --o-- Odd Republican politician: Bill Sali

by AllisonInSeattle on Sat Dec 30, 2006 at 02:58:05 PM PST