View Diary: Dawn (156 comments)

•  Not only (7+ / 0-)

do they treat others like animals, this admin treats its own like animals. They don't care one whit about any of this or how our men and women must survive in conditions that with a little more planning, might not have had to be so awful.

I'll send a prayer along to Dawn, I'm glad you wrote and also glad she made it home.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."-George Orwell

by Babsnc on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 03:42:47 PM PST

•  I keep thinking about Cheney's (2+ / 0-)
      rlharry, Gorette

One Percent Doctrine.  Remember that?  When someone (paraphrasing) "Well, if you get just one bad guy out of a 100, it's worth it.  I mean, what were the other people doing with their lives, anyway?"
      Bush and Cheney see our kids the same way..as Rumsfeld said to every concern, "Hey, they volunteered".

•  Hmm. That didn't post correctly. (3+ / 0-)
        joynow, Boppy, Fabian

Sorry, everyone.  What it should have said was that when someone asked Cheney how it was okay to sweep through a village and scoop up every military-age male, knowing most had to be innocent, he replied, (paraphrasing)...

•  That is truly sick, (4+ / 0-)
          3goldens, sherlyle, Gorette, kurious

and the words of an outwardly functioning, but truly deranged individual.

by Babsnc on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 04:33:22 PM PST

•  Um, I think you're mixing up two stories (2+ / 0-)
          willy be frantic, kurt

One is the old military saying, "Kill them all, let God sort them out," which goes back to the Catholic Church's genocide campaign against the Albogensians. At one key seige of a city, a Jesuit advisor said to a general wondering how to tell the heretics apart from the true believers,  "Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet." This translates as "Kill them all, God will know His own." In other words, the innocent will go straight to heaven, so it doesn't matter if they are horribly raped, tortured, and butchered—a theological position popular among the Fundamentalist  Forces of Good™ to this day.

I believe the "One Percent Doctrine" refers to Ron Suskind's book of that name, wherein he describes Cheney's supposed approach to security issues as being one of not allowing even a single percentage point of possibility for a terrorist strike.

Of course, I could easily see the bastard making the old saying fit his "doctrine."

First, oversight; second, investigations; third, impeachments; fourth, war crimes trials!

by ibonewits on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 09:12:27 PM PST

•  I love this place (1+ / 0-)
            kurt

It causes me to learn stuff.  No slam of you, but I am going to post some clarifications.

This is all from Wikipedia

"Albogensians" is mis-spelled. Should be "Albigensian"

Papal legate Arnaud-Amaury, was asked by a Crusader how they might distinguish the Cathars, their enemies, from other citizens. He answered: Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" — "Kill them [all]! Surely the Lord discerns which [ones] are his."

This happened in 1209.  Arnaud-Amaury couldn't have been a Jesuit.  That order was founded in 1534.

Your points and clarifications are excellent.  I just though I would follow a trail.  When I found differences, I though I would report back.

All I know is that a person has to be sharp to argue with a Jesuit.  Tim Russet, John Kerry and Pierre Elliott Trudeau were all schooled by Jesuits.

There is no 'off' position on the genius switch. - David Letterman

by willy be frantic on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 09:58:58 PM PST

•  That'll teach me to be scholarly! (1+ / 0-)
              willy be frantic

Especially late at night, with insufficient rum.

Thanks for the corrections, though I'll check a few other sources. The Wiki can be less than totally trustworthy.

But I wonder why the two Latin versions are different!

by ibonewits on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 10:23:15 PM PST

•  Your scholarly posts... (0+ / 0-)

... are appreciated.  As is you response to my post.

I hear you about trusting Wiki.  The blockquoted piece has the following for references:

* Sibly, W. A. and M. D., translators (1998), The history of the Albigensian Crusade: Peter of les Vaux-de-Cernay's Historia Albigensis, Woodbridge: Boydell, ISBN 0851158072
                   * Martin-Chabot, Eugène, editor and translator (1931-1961), La Chanson de la Croisade Albigeoise, Paris: Les Belles Lettres
                   * Duvernoy, Jean, editor (1976), Guillaume de Puylaurens, Chronique 1145-1275: Chronica magistri Guillelmi de Podio Laurentii, Paris: CNRS, ISBN 2910352064. Text and French translation. Reprinted: Toulouse: Le Pérégrinateur, 1996.

Not everything in Wiki has references but this looks fair solid.  In googling around today I found a post that speculated that the quote would have originally been spoken in French ( if spoken to the soldier, whose French would have been better that his Latin ).  It could be the translation into Latin that was faulty.  The phrase was written down by a monk who was present at the siege.

I am familiar with the problems of lack of rum.  Is it to early to pour one apiece ?

There is no 'off' position on the genius switch. - David Letterman