View Diary: Comparing exit packages: Home Depot CEO Bob Nardelli versus Pfc. William R. Newgard [UPDATE] (162 comments)

•  Everybody is ... (4+ / 0-)
    tmo, SarahLee, Sandy on Signal, BobOak

looking for an act of Congress to clear up the sewer.  We have to do it ourselves.

Since the "news" about the huge excessive golden parachute pacakge for the ousted CEO of Home Depot has been revealed, I have refused to make any more purchases from them.  Now, I am one person, but imagine if we all would do the same thing?  Likewise, I no longer purchase Exxon  products, after their  obscene retirement package for their CEO was made public.

Folks may wonder why all the fuss, but consider just where the dollars to pay these buffons their "lottery" winnings come from: you and me.
    Just how much of the cost of that gallon of paint, that new shrubbery, or the new garage door went towards paying out that 210 million dollars?  Just how inflated is your costs for these items so that some cretin can lounge in luxury and set his great grandchildren up for life?  There are other outlets.

Home Depot now not only deserves to loose their share of the marketplace, but they deserve to be forced out of business. "We" have the power to do this, if "we" will simply remain focused on not rewarding these companies for their "French Monarchy" type actions.

I'm sick of America being covered by conservative crap

by emsprater on Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 06:18:03 AM PST

•  As a mother of a HD employee (2+ / 0-)
      Bob Johnson, Miss Blue

I beg to differ with your solution. My son is in college, and is working part-time (as are most HD employees).

How many people does HD (under)employ? Punishing the Board means nothing compared to punishing the workers who will have their hours cut even more. We understand that Boards of Directors will sacrifice a lot as long as it does not affect their personal compensation.

My son will not work at HD forever. This is only his second paying job. But you can't hurt the greedy, overcompensated C(2 letters) without first hurting thousands of people who are trying to make a living.

•  I suspect (4+ / 0-)

that there is a great deal of shareholder litigation in the future of Mr. Nardelli and the Home Depot board of directors.

qui tacet consentire

by quaoar on Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 07:07:52 AM PST

•  I agree and undersand .... (5+ / 0-)

your stance regarding your son who works at Home Depot.  I can certainly empathize with all the workers there who would be affected by any curtailment of using Home Depot by consumers.  Home Depot is certianly not the only employer your son can choose from.  I too have family members who have previously worked for Home Depot, namely a nephew who now is unfortunalely soon to be deployed to Iraq.  My son in law just left his employment at Home Depot's largest rival.

If we, as consumers, do not curtail our patronage of companies like Home Depot who reward the CEOs with what we can (hopefully) agree are obscene compensation packages then there is no reason to begrudge these folks what they get.  Continuing to support the companies who practice this only gives the same companies the where with all to pay these obscene compensation packages.  Otherwise, just sit back and spend your bucks at companies who extort money from their customers in order to give it to their CEOs.

I hope the stockholders also take note of this, and since they are not really making any money on their holdings, they should all divest their interests and cause Home Depot stock to fall further.

I'm sick of America being covered by conservative crap

by emsprater on Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 08:02:40 AM PST

•  What I left out .... (5+ / 0-)

of my comment was the problem we have here with comparing a "golden parachute" package to death benefits for a fallen soilder. The CEO is grossly, obscenely overcompensated.  No amount of compensation can suffice for the fallen soilder. He deserves his life back, as do all of them.  Unfortunatley, that cannot be accomplished.  What can be accomplished is we can bring about an end to the maddness that the CEO of America has put in place, and stop more soilders from giving more than we can ever compensate for.

I'm sick of America being covered by conservative crap

by emsprater on Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 08:08:38 AM PST

•  Don't shop Home Despot (3+ / 0-)
      SarahLee, BobOak, Gorette

Agree with emsprater & Braham Colorado, until they make some changes for fairness to the employees and shareholders.

Here is a suggestion, instead: East Asheville  Hardware by David Wilcox.

An angel appeared
      in a holy vision
      Stood by my bedside
      in shivering light
      Spoke my name
      Told me my mission
      I could not believe I was hearing him right
      Because he said, 'Go, my son, go...
      Always go to East Asheville Hardware
      Before you go to Lowe's

He said, Go to East Asheville Hardware
      Before you go to Lowe's
      You'll help to keep them open
      I'm worried they might close

From the stiff competition
      From the national conglomerate
      With the full page ad
      in the color section of the Sunday paper supplement
      and stacks of plastic swimming pools
      and seven brands of power tools
      and rows and rows of registers
      all having nice days

But no, you go, he said to me with light around his face
      He said, You go first to that age-old place
      To that old wooden door
      that you have to close behind you
      To the wide-board wooden floor
      worn down soft
      To the real thing
      Good advice, quality at a fair price
      And know that they know how deep the frost goes here.
      Sure there's stuff you'll have to find at Paty's, Lowe's or Sears
      But go to East Asheville Hardware
      Go to East Asheville Hardware
      Before it disappears.

•  While I care about the workers at Home Depot (8+ / 0-)

... I quit shopping there (very close to my home) a long time ago in favor of shopping at my local hardware store.  Sure, I may pay an extra 5-10% on some items, but I can always get help and good advice when trying to fix something around the house.

My neighborhood hardware store has been in business and owned by the same family for more than 100 years. They take great pride in their business and how they treat customers.

I'd rather give my money to them. They live in town and so the money stays in the community rather than going to the pocket of a guy like Nardelli.

•  I agree. (4+ / 0-)

There are several locally owned ACE Hardware stores I go to, as well as a locally owned lumber company I can get things from.

What bothers me is I was an avid Home Depot shopper, someties once a week just to see what's new.  They've gotten loads of bucks from me in the past, but no more, in fact, I intend to cancel my Home Depot credit account and tell them why when I do it.

I'm sick of America being covered by conservative crap

by emsprater on Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 08:54:03 AM PST

•  silver lining (1+ / 0-)
      SarahLee

HD was one of the few places that would hire older, ridiculously qualified workers.  There were a lot of Mastered degreed, PhDs and so forth who ended up working at home depot and everywhere they went for a job, people wouldn't hire them because they were "overqualified".

Now, if someone is applying for any job who is ridiculously overqualified, odds are they are simply trying to eat.

http://www.noslaves.com http://forum.noslaves.com