View Diary: Why is an insane man running the country? (111 comments)

•  maybe i'm dense, but i still don't see it... (5+ / 0-)

i read it this way:
    this is a venting thread, and i can understand your anger. however, i work with mentally ill people and it upsets me when people use that diagnosis to describe people who are nasty and arrogant.
    honestly, compound f, that is what i thought when i read it. did you ever throw the word retarded around, and then a parent or teacher of a child who is developmentally challenged takes offense? that's exactly how i read newhorizon's response. it never entered my mind that she was calling anyone mentally ill. the opposite was true. she was saying that chimpy is not mentally ill, just evil. just as a parent or teacher or caretaker of a developmentally delayed child would never use the word retarded in an off-handed manner, a person who cares for the mentally ill would never imply that someone else is mentally ill unless there was good reason to think so.
    like i said, newhorizons clarified the misunderstanding, and having seen plenty of her comments in the past, i take her at her word that she never meant to say that anyone here is mentally ill. the second this referred to other people connecting chimpy's idiocy and meanness to mental illness. i won't speak for newhorizon, but it is my opinion that she gets upset when people make a connection between greed and nastiness to mental illness. mentally ill people are not bad people. they are just ill.

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 01:03:28 AM PST

•  nonnie (2+ / 0-)
      nonnie9999, LynneK

your interpretation is:

meaning, ore or less, that people are irresponsibly imprecise with language concerning the mentally ill.

However, a second interpretation is not out of anyone's realm of interpretation:

this [what theyrereal said] is a venting thread...fine.  I work with the mentally ill and it gets tiresome to hear this [the insane ramblings of what theyrereal said] stuff being thrown around like this [however insane people talk]

I hope this is sufficiently clear.  I will not revisit it, regardless of how others insist on having read it.

We don't have time for short-term thinking.

by Compound F on Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 01:26:24 AM PST

•  and again, (3+ / 0-)
        sxwarren, nonnie9999, Got a Grip

I removed my personal troll-rating based upon my confidence in the community, e.g., you and several others.  It is not the way I like to proceed normally, particularly when the original author has failed to admit the potential ambiguity.  I feel uncomfortable about it, in fact, yet I loathe troll-rating unjustly as much as I hate unjust accusations and insults.  I'll be watching, I suppose, more closely from now on concerning the reliability of said author.

We don't have time for short-term thinking.

by Compound F on Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 01:36:16 AM PST

•  okay, i get it now... (6+ / 0-)

i honestly didn't read it that way at all, but now i can see what you were referring to. it's funny how different people can read the same thing and come away with a completely different interpretation.
        well, it's all behind us now. let's get back to despising chimpy!

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 01:42:29 AM PST

•  indeed. (3+ / 0-)
          nonnie9999, Got a Grip, LynneK

I look forward to your next, likely incredibly humorous, as always, diary.  Please portray him as fubar despicable, as a small favor to all of us.

We don't have time for short-term thinking.

by Compound F on Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 01:55:04 AM PST

•  i have a new name for him... (3+ / 0-)
            PaintyKat, Got a Grip, LynneK

surge-io (pronounced sergio). the io stands for incredibly outrageous (or whatever adjective you might prefer).
            hmmmm, you might have just given me an idea for a diary. however, it is 5 in the morning and i should be sleeping, so i will write myself a note and see if my idea makes any sense whatsoever tomorrow. i haven't churned out a diary in some time, and i don't want to forget how it's done.
            gonna say nitey-nite now and see if the counting sheep are waiting for me.

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 02:08:06 AM PST

•  I'm sorry. (0+ / 0-)

I know I'm stupid about this, but was Jeffrey Dahmer a "bad" person? I'd say he did some pretty bad stuff. In a way, I guess that doesn't make him a "bad" person because surely he had some goodness in him too. Using this definition, nobody in the world is "bad." In layman's terms though, I'd say he could be characterized as "bad." Was he insane? I guess some people will argue "no." Where is the line crossed? Why can't an individual carry both labels: "badness" and insanity? I'm confused. At what point is destructiveness without any appearance of conscience considered "insane?"

I believe the accusations and knee jerk reaction to my original post was pompous. A lot of these "sensitive" posts border on pompousness. We're not operating in a normal world. Can anyone here admit that?

•  mark down my impreciseness to... (1+ / 0-)
        newhorizon

the lateness of the hour that i commented. i didn't mean to say that all mentally ill people are good. i was saying that mental illness does not make anyone inherently good or bad.

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 06:36:32 PM PST