View Diary: Al Gore rocks the house in Boise (292 comments)

•  duhhhh (1+ / 2-)
    blueness
    Hidden by:
    MichaelPH, Joelarama

Of course Gore had nothing to do with the K Street project. Fuck, I'm done doing the back and forth with most of the folks out here, a lot of you are really fucking ignorant to what goes on and when you are told what goes on you go into some sort of denial. Do you want to know why people voted for Nader in 2000? It was because the Clinton/Gore folks spent 8 years bowing down to the lobbyists on K Street, the corpo K Street crowd. People were sick of them selling out on things like NAFTA. Gore makes millions sitting on corpo boards and still believes market solutions are the answer, he is wrong, end of story.

You all put Gore up on a pedestal like he is some sort of god, and it is just sad.

absolute freedom for one individual undoubtedly limits the freedom of another.

by jbou on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 01:34:14 AM PST

•  That worked out real fuckin' well. (6+ / 0-)

As Professor A says:
      Thanks a lot, Ralph.

P.S. Nader showed up at an Al Gore book signing recently, was quite positive about Gore, and was very graciously greeted by our true President.

I'm the plowman in the valley - with my face full of mud

by labradog on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:36:14 AM PST

•  No kidding! Da noive of him! (0+ / 0-)

Nader showed up at a book signing?  I call that real chutzpah considering what he did.

And thanks for quoting Professer A.  He is a must read for me.

Memo to James Carville: sit down and shut up! You too Begala!

by Radiowalla on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:47:04 AM PST

•  The account I read... (1+ / 0-)
          la urracca

...maybe in the NYT or WaPo, described Gore's greeting as gracious and very friendly, pausing to rise and shake hands with Ralph, thanking him for coming.

The first things I read are dKos, Altercation, and TPM. I read more than those, but they alone will make you more informed than 99% of the population.

Enough chitchat. Spread out! you mugs, and get back to woik!

I'm the plowman in the valley - with my face full of mud

by labradog on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:35:46 AM PST

•  If this is true, Gore goes up a few points (1+ / 0-)
            la urracca

in my estimation.

How hard it must have been for him to forgive and forget what Nader cost the nation. I'm not sure I could've been as cordial.

If you have a chance to accomplish something that will make things better for people coming behind you, and you don't ...you are wasting your time...R Clemente

by Red State Rebel on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:47:38 AM PST

•  With all due respect to fellow commenters... (4+ / 0-)

...this is one more reason why Gore would (will) be a great president.

I, too would have found it hard not to snark in Ralph's face. But that would alienate part of the green community, which is actually an ally of ours, (when they aren't emotionally led astray).

As it was, Al Gore made it into a very constructive moment.

The 2000 election/SCOTUS result is still enough to make ya tear up. We lost out on a visionary intellect and a gentleman, to wind up with a pigheaded, kleptocratic, frat boy from a degenerate genetic line. There is a terrible, terrible lesson there for our nation, and even as W plunges into Nixonian approval ratings, I wonder how well we will learn that lesson.

I'm the plowman in the valley - with my face full of mud

by labradog on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:37:54 AM PST

•  Me too (0+ / 0-)

It seems like a lot of us only think in terms of what/who we hate, not what we want or need. The right wing still harbors a lot of hatred for Gore. They will dredge it up again, but IMO their kids will cancel them out.

Older right wing assholes don't get global warming, because "it will cost them money". Their kids get it, because it could cost them their lives.

Stronger than all the armies is an idea whose time has come. - Victor Hugo

by racerx on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 12:11:30 PM PST

•  Gore's come a long way (2+ / 0-)
      NoMore, la urracca

though I still don't think he's our savior, say. Still, he's distanced himself pretty mightily in the last seven years from the Clintonian mealy-mouthed triangulators that turned huge chunks of the left away from the democratic party.

You know, I'd be willing to bet that I'm leftier than you, but I don't think it's wrong of Gore to believe that there have to be market solutions involved in tackling global warming. Unless we want to rebuild our entire economic system -- which I'd favor, in my little dream universe where that sort of thing just happens -- he's probably right that the market has to be included in any real solutions. I haven't been aware of being being against market regulations, either.

I don't think he's a god, and I don't disagree with you about the Nader voters, but I do think I'd have a much easier time voting for the guy now than I did in 2000. Given most of the current choices, I'd be extremely excited if he jumped in, too. Everybody pushing a candidate around here tends to go a little overboard with how they'd save the world and the known universe.

•  Sorry: (1+ / 0-)
      spiraltn

Republican smears have no place on this blog.

•  not a Republican smear, in my opinion, (0+ / 0-)

but rather jbou's take on Gore, the 2000 campaign, and his current politics, a take that is certainly no harsher than many of the witheringly nasty but TR-free posts I've seen on this blog denigrating Kerry for his loss in 2004, his current stands, and indeed his very existence. Hence my uprates. If someone can point to actual lies in jbou's posts, I'll remove them.

•  the smears... (0+ / 0-)

are my own. I worked for the Gore campaign in 2000. I raised right around a hundred thousand dollars for his campaign, so I earned the right to be harsh.

absolute freedom for one individual undoubtedly limits the freedom of another.

by jbou on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 12:21:21 PM PST

•  I know you're disappointed. (1+ / 0-)
          spiraltn

But he has learned a lot from his near-miss in 2000 -- which was really a win. He has come a long ways from the days when he relied on the DLC to give him all his advise and he picked Joe Lieberman for VP -- a move which he admits was a big mistake. He's simply not the same person that he was back in 2000 when he lacked a spine. He has much more of a spine now than he did back then.