View Diary: Al Gore rocks the house in Boise (292 comments)

•  I really hope (1+ / 0-)
    VA02 femocrat

That people stop bugging Al Gore to run for the presidency in 2008. We already have a great list of candidates, many of which have adopted Al Gore's positions on global warming.

Vice President Gore is exactly where he wants to be, leading a global movement to address the greatest moral and environmental problem of the 21st century. We should begin to understand that, like Jimmy Carter, he can be a more effective agent for change outside the presidency than inside the jail of the White House (Harry Truman called it the premier cell of the American penal system).

We should stop bugging him and his family to undertake another Don Quixote-esk run for the presidency.

It's SENATOR Jon Tester!

by Ed in Montana on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:53:43 AM PST

•  "Quixotic" (6+ / 0-)

Don Quixote-esk

Oddly enough, it is a word. And it's pronounced oddly, given its heritage: Kwix-ot-ic.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to leave sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andre Gide

by pat208 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:41:26 AM PST

•  this is such crap Ed (8+ / 0-)

none of the present candidates understand or can speak to the issue of global warming like Gore can.  They aren't as well versed on that or a host of other important issues. And you don't know where he wants to be.  Stop pretending you know what he wants, feels or thinks.  It is obnoxious when the TV pundits do it.  Why would you think it makes any more sense when you do it.
      So you are for Edwards or Obama, just be straight about that and stop pretending you are a mind reader.
      I want Gore to run because I think that with the exception of Senator Clinton he makes everyone else in the field look the the T-ball team. Sorry about that.

•  You are right (0+ / 0-)

I am not a mind reader. But I do read the Gore interviews where he is exasperated by the constant harrassment to run. Why can't people just take the man at his word and move on?

There was a diary earier in the month where one woman argued with Tipper Gore to force her husband to run. This is rude and crazy if you ask me.

We have to stop looking for single person saviors and just keep working on building the progressive movement.

Jimmy Carter decided not to run in 84 and has done more as a retired president for peace and public health issues than he could have ever acheived as president. Howard Dean decided not to run for 08 and has rebuilt the democratic party from the ground up, something he could never do as president.

Al Gore has said that he won't run in 08, and is single-handedly forcing people across the globe and the corporate world to pay attention to global warming.

What's wrong with that?

It's SENATOR Jon Tester!

by Ed in Montana on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:04:07 AM PST

•  I don't think Gore is running (1+ / 0-)
          racerx

but he has explicitly said that he isn't bothered by people asking.

And if he wants people to stop "harrassing" him, all he has to do is say, unequivocally , that he won't run in 2008.

Any force that tries to make you feel shame for being who you are...is a form of tyranny... And it must be rejected, resisted, and defeated. ~Al Gore

by Sinister Rae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:12:04 AM PST

•  Al's Word (1+ / 0-)
          racerx

Why can't people just take the man at his word and move on?

His word is that he has no "plans" to run for president.  That's not the same as "I will not run."

•  I was the woman who "argued" with Tipper Gore... (5+ / 0-)
          racerx, Ed in Montana, A Siegel, 0wn, spiraltn

(By the way, I would not characterize it as an arguement:  we did have a very sympathetic chat on the issue -- she seemed very much to believe what I and a zillion others do (that Gore has to avenge this historical wrong, that he is the right man for these wrong times, that he really would love to be President, that if it were not for the obstacle course that is our Republican-fearing "media" he would so run in a heart-beat), but felt that she could not put that kind of pressure on him.  More, I picked up a gleam in her eyes when she was speaking about this, that said that if it were not for the fact that she knows her own power on him, she would too urge him to run; the best I can summarize this feeling is that she is afraid that she can easily be the tipping force on him and yet if it turns out similar to 2000...Caring people tend to be like this toward their loved ones, wielding power very gently.  I may have been a little pushy in continuing it, but she could have easily and very nicely walked away from it -- I did see her do that in many other conversations: my best witness is that she did not.  That is not to say that I think that someone else may not construe my behavior as rude...:-))

Now, to the point about "Gore being the single person savior":  I was initially repelled by the seeming "cultic" behavior too.  But I have now rejected that in favor of this, better explanation:

We, the people, are the employers who choose our employees via elections.  But elections themselves are only limited choices from the available pool of candidates.  Like any good employer, we have to first make certain that the pool is a great one to select from.  I happen to adjudge Gore as the best candidate for the Presidency, considering all his qualities and qualifications that we are all  familiar with by now.  Ergo, I have to do my best possible to get him into the race.

If he does not get in, I would be quite glad to vote for any Democrat that gets nominated and I am quite sure each and every Democrat running now would make a good President (the Democratic party suffers only from an embarassment of riches, really).

Gore's visionary and long range thinking make him a spectacular possibility -- and we as a people would be remiss not to court him actively to seek the job, simply for fear of seeming to be evincing a "savior" complex...

For the thoughtful response. I have just reached the point where I believe that there is nothing to be gained by hounding the Vice-president into doing something when his heart is obviously not in it.

Our electoral system would drive anyone to madness, not to speak of a southern gentleman such as Mr. Gore who had the 2000 election stolen from him. Although I would be overjoyed to have Mr. Gore as the chief executive, I have no desire to force him into the insane maw of the 2008 campaign if he does not have the "fire in belly" for it. We have several good democrats that do and Mr. Gore still has an important role to play in the future of our country, if not our planet.

It's SENATOR Jon Tester!

by Ed in Montana on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 01:58:23 PM PST

•  By the way (0+ / 0-)

I'm tentatively a Clark or Edwards supportor, but not totally committed to either as yet.

It's SENATOR Jon Tester!

by Ed in Montana on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:05:40 AM PST

•  Hah! (2+ / 0-)
        Picot verde, spiraltn

Mind if I use that one?

If we abandon our ideals in the face of adversity and aggression, then those ideals were never really in our possession. - Cpt. Ian Fishback

by Rick Oliver on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:09:48 AM PST

•  If/when Wes Clark runs, (0+ / 0-)

with his scientific interest and background, he can speak to this issue just as well and knows it is a top priority.

"Wes Clark has taken an active stand on the global warming issue, putting it at the forefront of his policy recommendations and making it prominent among his supporters. He has emphasized its importance to Americans by noting that it’s not just an environmental issue, it’s a national security issue (as he discussed when he was a panel member for the global warming portion of Bill Clinton’s "Global Initiative" this past fall). He’s a prominent signer of the online "stop global warming" petition."

See the Six Part Series called Global Warming-Climate Crisis here:

•  Not Sure Quixotic... Not Sure Full Fledged (5+ / 0-)

I love Al Gore and count myself among many who were psychologically traumatized by the coup of 2000. There was nothing wrong with THAT Al Gore. THAT Al Gore WON the election, even if he wasn't perfect and should have won by a more commanding margin. And there can be NO doubt that Al Gore today is many times improved, more authentic, more passionate, more unabashed, etc.

But having a "signature issue" I think can undermine a presidential candidacy. To run, Gore would have to start showing as much strength, passion, expertise, and vision regarding global economics, foreign diplomacy and WAR, health care, Social Security, HOMELAND SECURITY, the erosion of civil rights, the widening gap between rich and poor...  ALL STUFF HE CAN DO...

But does he want to do it? And if he does it, can he maintain the "new Gore" everyone loves? Is he ready to have his signature issue relegated somewhat to the myriad full portfolio of critical issues required of the presidency?

Why is Bush giving Iraq what he's taking away from America?

by TX Unmuzzled on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:20:34 AM PST

•  Heh (0+ / 0-)

Yeah, the Republicans will be stronger on those issues than Al Gore.

Not.

And will ANY of those issues have a greater impact on us than the climate crisis?

Nope.

Stronger than all the armies is an idea whose time has come. - Victor Hugo

by racerx on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 11:44:55 AM PST

•  Do you really think Gore (0+ / 0-)

is unable to speak to and handle a wide range of issues ... Congressman ... Senator ... Vice President ... truly, a resume that says that he is simply a one-trick pony ...

The Energy Conversation: Learn - Connect - Share - Participate: For a new dialogue on Energy issues.

by A Siegel on Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:28:31 PM PST

•  Ed, (1+ / 0-)
      la urracca

I think you've had your say on this yesterday and today. So, I really hope that you stop "bugging" people that would like to see Al Gore become President. :)