Skip to main content

View Diary: Worth (112 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Zergle, (11+ / 0-)

    First, don't apologize for trying to help your wife in any way that you can.

    I don't know if this will be of any help, but I taught at a University (in a previous lifetime) and had occasion to have people in classes who had chronic illnesses. One person was a woman with Lupus, who had symptoms similar to your wife's. The University had policies (as all Universities do) for accomodating people with disabilities. Without getting into all the detail, she was completing her degree - although it was taking longer because of her illness.

    As it turned out, the woman was married to someone I knew, so I came to know more about her situation than I would have otherwise. In short, there is help available beyond tuition and scheduling problems for people who have chronic illnesses .

    I suggest contacting the University closest to you and explaining the situation. Not only can they help your wife get an education, the social/student services can help get her in contact with programs/agencies that may be able to provide financial and other support.

    Best of luck to you and your wife. If any of this sounds promising, reply to this comment and I will see if I can find more info to send you.

    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - A. Einstein

    by FWIW on Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 11:25:18 PM PST

    •  online courses too? (4+ / 0-)

      Could you tell us what area you are living so we can see if we have contacts there?

      Also, I've never done this, but can the unemployment office help? As I'm in Sweden now, I've been hearing all sorts of stories about how the State tries to help people get jobs, sometimes by cutting the taxes that employers need to pay for them- a friend of my gf's got about $1300 from them just because she had to relocate:)

      Also, have you tried other countries? In Europe I don't think this will be setting you back so much $, but am not totally sure. In Sweden there are limits to doc and med payments per year that might not go beyond $5-600. Maybe it is a good idea to try calling some hospitals abroad and some of the embasies and consulates. There are Kossacks in Europe that might also be able to help with some info and in that link one in particuliar has been seeking treatment for his son in France and seems to have written a little about it. I can also ask around here a little, I know a handicapped woman who may be calling me this weekend anyway, so it shouldn't be so hard to get info from her.

      But worth? Infinity squared. Its self-esteem. And believe me, with a gf who is an absolutely drop dead hot swedish blonde, rich as hell, degreed biotech engineer, there is no reason for her to doubt herself or position in life, but she does to the point where it stops her from feeling she can do things. Perhaps both you and I should be more supportive and positive, outgoing to find such things that make life better... I dunno.

      Let me know if I can help in any way.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site