View Diary: It's Monarchy Stupid! (52 comments)

•  Just for the record - 36 years (2+ / 0-)

if Clinton is elected president and serves two terms, we will have had 28 consecutive years with either a Bush or a Clinton as President and if you throw in eight more with Bush Sr as VP, 36 years.

I'm not much for royal families myself.

•  That's pretty much a deal-breaker (3+ / 0-)
      panmandan, ChapiNation386, jfm

with me for Hillary.  Enough is enough of two families running our country.

Maybe it's an arrogant and closed-minded approach and unfair to Hillary, but I feel quite strongly that we need some new blood.

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds - Samuel Adams

by Red no more on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:30:35 AM PST

•  So you would vote for a Republican rather than (1+ / 0-)
        PoliMorf

HRC if she was the Democratic Nominee?

You will buy into that line of (bullshit) reasoning?

Happy little moron, lucky little man. I wish I was a moron, my God, perhaps I am! -- Spike Milligan

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:31:45 AM PST

•  I Don't think that he is advocating that (7+ / 0-)

And I certainly am not.  I will hold my nose and vote for Sen. Clinton if she wins the Democratic Primary.

The Truth about [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/12/ap/politics/mainD8MJRGCO0.shtml John McCain]

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:33:59 AM PST

•  Right. Me too. So we have to work hard (3+ / 0-)
            ChapiNation386, jfm, NewDealer

in the primary to pick someone else!

I'm not really in favor of a Patrician system, either.

But remember, this argument could be used against her in the General election and it needs to be carefully debunked now.  In our history there have been a few cases of relatives/decendents in power.  You would expect some of that due to name recognition, access to power, etc.  That does not make Schwarzenegger our Heir Apparent even though he married into the Kennedy clan.

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:38:00 AM PST

•  The purpose of this diary isn't to (2+ / 0-)
              polecat, jfm

Rail against Sen. Clinton (Democratic cannablism is pointless when there are Republicans to eat), it is instead of point out the 'unAmerican-ness' (yes, I'm using a McCarthy word) of the column and the idea behind it.

Because who in their right mind wants Jenna and Not Jenna?

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:42:46 AM PST

•  If Jenna manages to rehabilitate herself (0+ / 0-)

and become a Democrat and run for office, who's to say that she wouldn't be a good candidate?

I think it would be unfair to say that because she's related to an ex-president, she's not eligible.

[shuddering in my shoes for having made THAT argument!!]

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:44:45 AM PST

•  If what you've just said happens (1+ / 0-)
                  polecat

I will drink toilet water the same way my dog did when we were both much much younger.

And you should be shuddering in your shoes for making that argument so you get no sympathy from me :)

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:49:40 AM PST

•  I do. (1+ / 0-)
                  ChapiNation386

Have our standards become so low that Sobriety and Membership are the Baseline for candidates?

They should be so far below the Baseline that reasoned folk laugh at the mere suggestion otherwise.

And they are, and I am.

We can do better.

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don't. - Robert Benchley

by dj angst on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:03:36 AM PST

•  Rehab: seems to be the catch-all solution to bad (1+ / 0-)
                  ChapiNation386

behavior now.  :)

Live in the Atlanta area?: Join the Atlanta Kos meetup group now forming by clicking on the homepage link in my profile.

by VolvoDrivingLiberal on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 11:30:23 AM PST

•  As would I but I don't like the idea (0+ / 0-)
        •  Absolutely not! (2+ / 0-)

I will vote for the Democratic nominee no matter who it is - unless the Republicans nominate Kieth Olbermann!

And I'm a registered Republican - at least until I get to the courthouse to change it...

by Red no more on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:13:00 AM PST

•  You know something funny? (1+ / 0-)
            VolvoDrivingLiberal

A very republican neighbor said the same thing to me over the summer.

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:17:58 AM PST

•  There seems to be a lot of that going around- (1+ / 0-)
              VolvoDrivingLiberal

And it's a good thing!

How can anyone with an ounce of common sense and functioning critical faculties think otherwise?

Every day the nightmare gets worse, and hopefully every day thousands more wake up ready to end it!

by Red no more on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:29:43 AM PST

•  I prefer to wake them up (1+ / 0-)
                VolvoDrivingLiberal

In person rather then wait for them.

I call it 'preaching the Democratic gospel'.  Today's Republican party has made it remarkably easy, even in the financial heart of Gerlachs district.

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:32:51 AM PST

•  Huh- (0+ / 0-)

I guess we're neighbors...

Another reluctant constituent of Jukin' Jimmy.  The pablum his campaign was spitting out against Lois Murphy was a big factor in deciding I'd had way too much of the Republican party.  You can thank him for that, at least!

by Red no more on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:52:05 AM PST

•  I Guess We are! (0+ / 0-)

I'm in a part of the district that was gerrymandered into Gerlachs turf in order to make Weldons seat 'safer'.

Those "Liberal Lois" commercials were so annoying, especially since the person doing them had a distinctly Southern tinge to her voice.  Nothing against the south, but I would think that for a regional election they could at least have a regional person speaking.

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 10:41:00 AM PST

•  I didn't notice (1+ / 0-)
                      ChapiNation386

the southern accent. I spent 7 years in the south and it still seems natural to me.  However, the Berks County "Yous" and "A While" grates on me immeasurably!

I was most put off by the sensationalist print pieces that arrived almost weekly for a year.  They reminded me of supermarket tabloids in their alarmist tone and use of "Facts".

I think if there was one real turning point in my seeking an alternative political reality, the garbage put out by Gerlach's campaign had to be it.

by Red no more on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 11:06:43 AM PST

• Education (23)
  • Rescued (22)
  • Politics (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Freddie Gray (21)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site