View Diary: It's Monarchy Stupid! (52 comments)

•  But the real issue is the 2008 election (0+ / 0-)

if you want to prevent a "Monarchy" as you call it, or more correctly a Patrician system of government, then you should vote for somebody OTHER than HRC in the primary.

But, what are you going to do if HRC is the nominee?  Vote against your interests or vote for her?

Happy little moron, lucky little man. I wish I was a moron, my God, perhaps I am! -- Spike Milligan

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:35:08 AM PST

•  See my other comments (2+ / 0-)
      polecat, jfm

I have clearly stated that I will "hold my nose and vote for Sen. Clinton if she wins the primary".

In the Primary she will not have my vote.

The 'Patrician system of Government' is Monarchy.  It is merely a more polite way of having one.

The Truth about [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/12/ap/politics/mainD8MJRGCO0.shtml John McCain]

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:37:01 AM PST

•  And there are 100 Patricians in the Senate (1+ / 0-)
        jfm

and another 435 wannabees in the House.

if I'm not mistaken, the Senate was designed as a replacement for the "House of Lords."

This is a Representative Democracy... A Republic.  Not a true democracy.  Look at the Electoral College...  Look at the ability under the (original) Constitution to limit who could vote (the states got to decide).  There was distrust in the ability of the masses to make good choices.

And, we've seen how it is possible to fool the masses, especially if you control the media.  GWB's administration has been masterful at it.

So if we want to fix this problem it is going to take a multipronged approach: 1) The Fairness Doctrine, 2) Publicly funded elections, 3) Stop voting fraud and vote suppression.  Every vote counts.  4) Stop allowing blatant lies to be said and repeated about public officials.

Otherwise, those in power will do what they do best:  Stay in power.

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:42:08 AM PST

•  Sen. Webb is a Patrician? (0+ / 0-)

Or is Tester.

Come on now, it's only 98 there :)

I am well aware that this is a Representative Democracy (I am a History/Poli Sci double major) however the Representatives are mant to represent The People -- not the Corporations and Media.

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:47:16 AM PST

•  Look at their respective net worth (0+ / 0-)

and make that argument again.

There are very few poor Representatives.

We just got rid of one of the richest ones: Charles Taylor (NC-11).

Why don't we see if Webb's son goes into politics after he's done in Iraq?  That will tell, won't it.  (BTW, I like Webb.)

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:56:21 AM PST

•  Indeed it will tell (2+ / 0-)
              polecat, VolvoDrivingLiberal

Although I noticed you leaving Tester out of it ;)

Webb has a good net worth, but he earned it himself.

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:59:20 AM PST

•  I have nothing against either Tester or Webb (1+ / 0-)
                jfm

but they have joined a rather exclusive club.

I suggest we watch them both carefully to see how long it takes before they become "insiders" too. For Obama it took about two years.

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:00:42 AM PST

•  2 years? (1+ / 0-)
                  polecat

Please.  He was an 'insider' before he got elected, he just didn't know it yet.

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:04:08 AM PST

•  I was just gauging that on how long it took for (1+ / 0-)
                    ChapiNation386

him to use "Beltway Speak" -- it is not possible to get a direct answer from him, yet he was direct during his Senate Campaign.

As much as I despised Jesse Helms, you always knew where "Senator No" stood on something.

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:06:43 AM PST