View Diary: It's Monarchy Stupid! (52 comments)

•  Well Aware of the Fanfare (1+ / 0-)
    polecat

I was in Center City on Saturday taking pictures of the historic district/chinatown/reading terminal market for a photo-essay.

The traffic going in/out was awful from what I heard and Mass Transit (which I used) was packed.

Didn't we rebel 200-someodd years ago to get rid of them?

The Truth about [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/12/ap/politics/mainD8MJRGCO0.shtml John McCain]

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:52:48 AM PST

•  Actually I think it was a conservative rebellion (0+ / 0-)

We didn't fight to get rid of them so much as to keep the rights of Englishment: we wanted Representation to go along with the taxation.  As late at 1764 Ben Franklin was still trying to work out a solution where the Colonies were included in the political process.

The act of Rebellion was one of last resort.

Happy little moron, lucky little man. I wish I was a moron, my God, perhaps I am! -- Spike Milligan

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 08:58:14 AM PST

•  Taxation without representation (1+ / 0-)
        polecat

Was the battle cry of the masses -- but the underlying causes were actually quite natural (and fairly liberal in every sense of the word -- including economically at the time).

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:00:40 AM PST

•  And not being allowed to expand into the West (1+ / 0-)
          ChapiNation386

The British did not want the colonists to expand into Ohio and further west.  They did not want the colonists to trade with any other nations -- the colonists wanted the same rights as anybody else in England.

I would hardly call South Carolina in 1776 "Liberal" in any sense of the word.

I think it is time to get moonbat to write a bit of history up for us on the Revolutionary war.  Unless you'd like to start a series?  (I'd recommend it!!!!)

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:03:33 AM PST

•  I would love to start a series (1+ / 0-)
            polecat

Although right now I'm focusing a bit more on the French Revolution and International Law (the joys of an overloaded schedule).

However if you're interested. . .

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:05:13 AM PST

•  It would be fun, but I'm also too busy. (0+ / 0-)

Alexis deTocqueville experienced America in the 1830's (with a uniquely French perspective) and observed many things about American life.

For that matter Jefferson and Adams were strongly interested in the French Revolution and I think that the early years of that democracy are reasonably tied to our own.

Are you working on a thesis?  Would you consider publishing part of it here?

by polecat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:10:08 AM PST

•  No Thesis Yet (1+ / 0-)
                VolvoDrivingLiberal

Although I am working on getting one started up.  I should actually be moving more quickly as at present I am on pace to graduate in a total of 5 semesters.

I've read some of Tocqueville but I've been too busy to sit down and read him in his entirety.

I'm also trying to keep myself relatively incognito here (my University is center to center right), so that complicates things a bit.

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 09:16:36 AM PST

•  5 semesters total? Damn! That is incredible.... (0+ / 0-)

I guess you don't have much time to party.  :)

Live in the Atlanta area?: Join the Atlanta Kos meetup group now forming by clicking on the homepage link in my profile.

by VolvoDrivingLiberal on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 11:39:39 AM PST

•  I wouldn't go that far (0+ / 0-)

There's still plenty of time for the fun things in life -- but partying Saturday means coursework all day on Sunday.

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 02:05:31 PM PST

•  That's good. You are more disciplined than I was (0+ / 0-)

in college. Sunday's were study days for me too back in college, but I often didn't recover from the partying until far after noon. :)

by VolvoDrivingLiberal on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 03:12:48 PM PST

•  I learned that I didn't like hangovers (1+ / 0-)
                        VolvoDrivingLiberal

My Freshman year of High School when on New Years day I experienced what can only be described as The. Worst. &$^(#ING. Champagne. Hangover. EVER!*

The mere threat of going through that again has kept me from drinking too much in excess ever since.  So it's not discipline, it's terror :)

by ChapiNation386 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 05:45:40 PM PST