View Diary: Teacher's Lounge: Juggling Thought (78 comments)

•  Robyn I have an off topic question... (4+ / 0-)

gender related....is it ok to ask you here?

Please. Run. Al. Please.

by DemiGoddess on Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 10:05:07 AM PST

•  Sure :-) (2+ / 0-)
      cookiebear, aphra behn

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 10:05:35 AM PST

•  Thanks... (5+ / 0-)

but never mind....I have been trying to type out my question for 30 min and I cant find a PC way to ask.
        I am moving next door to a recluse who is rumored to be in the process of gender re-identification.
        Several of our new neighbors have referred to the reclusive neighbor as...it.  I have given a perfectly clear message that I will not tolerate any discriminatory bullshit.
        So I was coming to you for education and sensitivity training but now that I type this out I realize coming to you might in itself be insensitive and discriminatory.
        I really just want to give my new neighbor the respect they deserve as a human and want to educate my other neighbors about that respect.  However, to teach a subject I must understand it and I realize as I type that I do not.
        Please forgive...I mean well (at least).

Please. Run. Al. Please.

by DemiGoddess on Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 10:43:33 AM PST

•  What is important is that you are thinking. (4+ / 0-)

If I could suggest anything, it's that your reclusive neighbor might appreciate having a friend.  I know I did.

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 10:56:03 AM PST

•  What came first... (4+ / 0-)

the reclusiveness or the gender issue bigotry causing reclusiveness?  If it is the latter, perhaps with small baby steps our neighbor will end up being less reclusive and our neighborhood more inclusive.
            I will just begin by giving off welcoming body language and facial expressions.  An ice breaking conversation will be easy because we are both dog owners.  Perhaps that will open the communication.
            Thanks for tolerating my naivete.
            I appreciate 'knowing' you Robyn and your openness and honesty is causing progressive ripples all the way down to a small little town outside of Orlando, Florida.
            Thank you.

Please. Run. Al. Please.

by DemiGoddess on Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 11:26:51 AM PST

•  Were you safe from the tornadoes? (3+ / 0-)

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 12 noon EST

by rserven on Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 11:34:56 AM PST

•  Wow we are safe but in shock! (4+ / 0-)

The death toll of 19 was only 30 or so miles from our house!
                I woke right around the time the tornadoes were hitting....looked out the sliding glass doors and saw one heck of a storm but did not have a clue that just one county over people were losing their lives and homes.
                I look at the news footage and feel so lucky yet so afraid.
                My partner looked at me and said....Just one more reason to hate that election in 2000.  This would not have happened with Al in office =)
                Thank you for asking.
                I am off now to pack...oh the joy.

Please. Run. Al. Please.