View Diary: Democratic Candidates on Iran: Hawks and Doves (36 comments)

•  I've never read the tips. (2+ / 0-)
    areucrazy, YestoWes

Also, not to be obtuse or difficult, but why is it so important to do these tags a certain way?

Thank you for visiting Raising Kaine, the voice of Progressive Virginia.

by lowkell on Sun Feb 04, 2007 at 11:44:22 AM PST

•  So people searching for diaries via the Tags (3+ / 0-)
      roseba, borkitekt, YestoWes

will find yours. Also, to distinguish (in the case of names) between George, George, Jeb, Barbara........

Did you know that there are over 50,000 Tags, of which over 30,000 are used only once? which means most of those one-offs are not particularly useful for research purposes, or for retrieving old diaries unless you use the exact misspelling or novel term created by the diarist. Of course you can use Google and the Daily Kos search function as well. But, for Tags to be useful people should at least use/append them within some sort of system. For example, I've personally gone to the trouble of attaching 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force' to every diary about last week's Boston bomb scare, so that it's a snap to study the Daily Kos diaries on that incident. Interested in the 'gas odor' scare in New York a few weeks ago? Plug 'gas odor' into the Tag search and voila. Not all the diaries used the same terms. Often a diary's import or subtext is a concept that isn't written in the diary ('rant' comes to mind), but nevertheless is worth being Tagged in a fashion so that persons interested in studying such diaries can find them. Think of Tags like the Dewey decimal system. In order to be utile, consistency helps.

•  Thanks, (0+ / 0-)

that's very helpful.

Thank you for visiting Raising Kaine, the voice of Progressive Virginia.

by lowkell on Sun Feb 04, 2007 at 12:29:09 PM PST

•  yoohoo! Halcyon! (0+ / 0-)

you're needed over ... here

It's the planet, stupid. - Fishoutofwater

by cookiebear on Sun Feb 04, 2007 at 01:11:26 PM PST

•  Shhh! Don't tell anyone. I lurked OC's diary. (0+ / 0-)

If only I could write. And if only I weren't in such a funk. I'm already a week overdue planting my onion seeds in their flats. It's one of my most hated tasks, only exceeded by the extreme back pain of setting out the seedlings in April, all 576 of them.

You've probably noticed I disappeared from Frankenoid's diaries months ago. I feel bad about not yet following up on my promise to post the authentic curry recipe to 'What's for Dinner'. I've been avoiding 'Got a Happy Story' because I let my pessimism overwhelm me.

After the election my worst fears are seeming to happen: not much oomph toward holding 'em accountable.

All I could contribute to VMD would be my experience of growing my own; my fear that NAIS will take away our hens... I'm not a wonk. I find myself thinking more along the lines of GrannyDoc's H5N1 prep diary: lay in 50 lb sacks of rice, wheat and barley, the only staples we don't grow ourselves (and toilet paper), and hope the worst doesn't happen yet.
          ....
          OC didn't respond to the query about farmerchuck. Last I heard he was in peril of losing his farm. I hope he's somehow found a way to hang on through the winter.

•  you scamp you! (1+ / 0-)
            Halcyon

lurking?? without proper notification??

hehe

actually, i think you'd do a great, great job, but i sure understand about the time thing - although i'd love to see you write about the real-life implications of NAIS. and i think the experience of growing your own would be an excellent diary, esp. in these times.

i'm worried about farmerchuck, too. and i understand the funk - i was feeling it a week or so ago during our ice storm - a whole week without sun. i got seriously funked out.

It's the planet, stupid. - Fishoutofwater

by cookiebear on Sun Feb 04, 2007 at 04:50:07 PM PST

•  halcyon, if you need an ear, or if I can help in (1+ / 0-)
            Halcyon

any way - my email's in my profile.

Food and the art of improvisation:
            Jazz Cooking

by kate petersen on Sun Feb 04, 2007 at 06:11:25 PM PST

•  kate (1+ / 0-)
              kate petersen

i was thinking about getting Halcyon to collaborate on an NAIS diary, if she's so inclined.

i haven't said anything about it because i'm supposed to be doing other things right now ::eek::

i don't want to do it alone because my knowledge is mostly surface, and the information i've been able to access is very polarized --- eg, flame wars between pro-NAIS and anti-NAIS

but i think a diary about NAIS which includes info from people actually affected would be good and very helpful for people who don't understand the issue

what do you think? and Halcyon, if you're secretly lurking again ;-) , what do you think?

It's the planet, stupid. - Fishoutofwater

by cookiebear on Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 08:04:30 AM PST

•  I think that sounds like a good idea (1+ / 0-)
                cookiebear

And I can write and edit and post.  That I'm good at.

Food and the art of improvisation:
                Jazz Cooking

by kate petersen on Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 08:07:44 AM PST

•  excellent! (1+ / 0-)
                  kate petersen

now we just need Halcyon - her input would add the texture such a diary would need

yoohoo! Halcyon! what do you think?

It's the planet, stupid. - Fishoutofwater

by cookiebear on Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 08:27:21 AM PST

•  Uh, I think it would be great if Kate wrote (1+ / 0-)
                    cookiebear

the diary. There have been prior ones, starting with herdsire (who could forget a handle like that?)

I was a vegetarian for 30 years until we got our own chickens, so it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. It's the outrageous intrusion and stepwise march to totalitarianism that scare me. Have you read the Real ID diaries this weekend? That's scary stuff: outsourcing implementation to ChoicePoint. So patently clear what it' s really all about. Pickpockets, the bunch of them. They pick us clean, then toss us away like the Jewish corpses left in piles at Auschwitz.

Thanks for asking. I'm too funked.

•  I can write it, but I have no firsthand knowledge (1+ / 0-)
                      cookiebear

The only animal I have is The Adorable Hairy Beast, and I live within a municipality that doesn't permit livestock.  So this does not, cannot affect me personally, and I need something more than just academic research to make it a vibrant diary.  This would be where you and a few others would come in -- how would it affect you?  Stories that weave toward the revelation of Just How Bad this thing would be if we don't get it derailed.

Food and the art of improvisation:

• Media (37)
  • Hillary Clinton (35)
  • Iraq (32)
  • Law (30)
  • Jeb Bush (30)
  • Barack Obama (30)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (29)
  • Climate Change (29)
  • Culture (29)
  • Civil Rights (27)
  • Labor (24)
  • Economy (23)
  • White House (18)
  • Science (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site