View Diary: McAuliffe channels Tancredo, while Hillary doesn't regret war vote (286 comments)

•  For fuck sakes...what an asshole. (2+ / 0-)
    JugOPunch, seabos84

People who are coming into this nation taking our jobs.

Really, Terry? You mean like the folks that put the roof on your house? Do your landscaping? Serve you your morning coffee?

God, this shit pisses me off.  It's a lie.

The fact remains that many, many immigrants do the jobs that many of us just don't want to do.

And I think they should be commended, not condemned, for it.

We are a party of innovation...We are willing to suffer the discomfort of change in order to achieve a better future. --Barbara Jordan

by wmtriallawyer on Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 06:07:51 PM PST

•  well (9+ / 0-)

Its a lie that Americans won't do those jobs.  I live in Michigan, and we have plenty of American citizens who are putting roofs on houses, landscaping, and yes, serving people their morning coffee.

All those jobs can be done by legal American immigrants or American citizens, and if there were not millions of illegals ratcheting up the available labor supply, they might be doing it for a living wage also.

But hey, those people are not college-educated, so they don't deserve a living wage, is that what you think?

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."-FDR

by Michigan Paul on Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 06:25:45 PM PST

•  It's keep wages low and kill unions. We want fair (2+ / 0-)
        hopscotch1997, BobOak

wages for the work we do.

•  Not at all. (0+ / 0-)

I'm all for a living wage for all.

The problem here (which I admit, I did not express all that well) is to scapegoat a group of people for the underlying problems with our economy.

Shutting down the borders tommorrow and not letting any of "them" in so that "we" can get those jobs will not get us a living wage.  I hope that's not what you think.

It's the same argument, frankly, that I heard in the '80s and '90s.  Don't buy a foreign car, b/c you kill the manufacturing base for American cars.  Growing up in Michigan, I heard this a lot, too.

Far easier to scapegoat the Japanese than actually point fingers at Roger Smith and the corporate fatcats who moved GM's jobs overseas.

To me, it is xenophobia, pure and simple.  And we should not engage in this argument.

by wmtriallawyer on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 06:35:29 AM PST

•  Maybe people don't want to do those jobs, (2+ / 0-)
      Michigan Paul, BobOak

but they need to do those jobs. Unemployment is a big problem (obviously) and illegal immigration is a factor.

•  A telling comment (2+ / 0-)
      hopscotch1997, BobOak

You mean the folks that put the roof on your house, do your landscaping, serve you your morning coffee - don't you?

I can understand however the statement just doesn't have the same impact when stated in those terms.

Really, Terry? You mean like the folks that put the roof on my house? Do my landscaping? Serve me my morning coffee?

Again - you should really speak for yourself here.

The fact remains that many, many immigrants do the jobs that I just don't want to do.

And in the devils bargain you have made to find someone who will serve you coffee on the cheap, you will continue to make excuses for illegal immigration in this country, and when push comes to shove will set the entirety of the blame for illegal immgration at the feet of the 'cheap labor Republicans'.

The real pity is you have no clue how absolutely pathetic you sound.

<div style="font-size:10px;text-align:center;background-color:#ffd;color:#f33">If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow - G. Bush

by superscalar on Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 06:59:43 PM PST

•  Actually, no. (0+ / 0-)

I do my own landscaping.  And I make my own coffee, thanks.  I rent, so my roof is handled by....? Don't know.

So my intent was to go after Terry from the beginning. Because no matter how pathetic I may sound, Terry's comments sounded far more pathetic.

B/c they scapegoat a group of invididuals for the ills of our economy without getting at the root source of those ills.

by wmtriallawyer on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 06:29:42 AM PST

•  Many of us don't want to do jobs (0+ / 0-)

that pay min. wage or less, have no worker's comp. associated with them, have employers who are not paying their share of care for their employees, or taxes to keep up the communities they employee people in.

Many of us don't want to do slave work for corrupted, dishonest, greedy employers.

Right you are!

It's nice that you think that it's just fine for illegally entering immigrants, though.  Good on them, and I guess on you since it's real cheap that way when you are putting on a roof, taking care of your garden, and all the rest.

Me?  I have to hire from regular companies with legal workers.  Must be nice.

"The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades."--Pat MacDonald

by hopscotch1997 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 07:36:46 PM PST

•  Well, I guess (0+ / 0-)

after reading all these responses, my words were used against me in a way I didn't mean.

Guess my argument was inartful, to say the least.

It was never my intent to say that the jobs I listed were "just fine" for illegal immigrants.  They are fine for anyone.  And no disparagement was intended to either those coming into our nation seeking those jobs, or to those already here.

What I'm pissed about is the xenophobia of people like McAuliffe to assume that immigrants are taking "our" jobs.

They have a right to those jobs as any of us do.

by wmtriallawyer on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 06:26:52 AM PST