View Diary: CSI: Federal Reserve (221 comments)

•  A revolution sounds... (2+ / 0-)
    tovan, malharden

It'd take a revolution to fix this.

I dunno.  A revolution sounds like just the ticket, to me.

Read my SF novel for free. (-7.13/-7.33)

by Shadan7 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 11:17:12 AM PST

•  Yes.... (0+ / 0-)

Nothing like brother on brother violence.  Nothing like families torn apart because of political difference made violence.

Nothing like public beheadings and massive slaughter.  Nothing like pestilence and destruction.  Nothing like school and bridges and roads being destroyed forever.  Nothing like losing history for short term gain.

Nothing like plunging a society into chaos that won't be resolved for hundreds of years.

I understand that "revolution" sounds nice, but it reality it is anything but.

Once the gloves come off...they stay off for a while.

•  I'm actually afraid that you're right. (2+ / 0-)
        drsmith131, malharden

Yup, once the gloves come off, it's chaos for a decade, and the end result will be nothing any of us can predict with confidence.

But I'm afraid that this is actually where these bastards are pushing us.  Oh, they don't intend to, but when the shit really does hit the fan, when people discover that their standard of living is plummeting because China has called in the loans - then you're going to see real violence on the order of what was brewing the beginning of the Great Depression.

I am not hopeful - not unless we can win a solid majority in Congress the next election, along with the WH.  Even then, cleaning up the mess of the last 12 years of GOP rule is going to take a generation.

Read my SF novel for free. (-7.13/-7.33)

by Shadan7 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 11:50:05 AM PST

•  True (1+ / 0-)
          malharden

Oh, I agree with you there.  I think it's certainly the direction we are headed.   I still thinks there's time to change it, but I'm not so sure of we have the leadership that can do so.

It's tough to head things off when the powered elite own the airwaves.  The Net offers a good chance, perhaps the best one, but even at it's best is still on the marginable side....gotta keep fighting for Net Neutrality and municipal wifi, IMHO.

There's plenty of places to fight this fight befome the whole tower falls, but it's certainly leaning in a bad direction.

My point is that while pushing it down might sound like fun...in reality the crash is awesome and...as you say...quite unpredictable.

•  C'mon the gloves have been off for a long time (0+ / 0-)

The oligarchy has been killing for decades now. Is there really that much difference between a kid who dies of starvation in Africa because of international economic and financial policies, and a kind who dies in Iraq because of an off-target load of munitions?

Since the oligarchs have been killing without having to get their hands dirty, it's easy to mistakenly believe they still play nice.

Like Atrios or someone else said after Senator Webb made his reply to the State of the Union address -- he'd best stay out of small airplanes.

Telling a conservative the truth does about as much good as shoveling fleas across a barnyard. - The shade of A. Lincoln

by NBBooks on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 01:19:28 PM PST

•  Yes, there is a difference (0+ / 0-)

Yes, there is a tremendous difference between those two things.  The simplest explanation for why being that both problems require vastly different actions to resolve.

If you have proof that Wellstone was killed in this manner, please publicize it.  Taking what is, obviously to me, something of a joke and thinking it confirms some vast conspiracy is the epitome of lazy thinking, IMHO.

•  A revolution is necessary (0+ / 0-)

I fully understand what that means, but it is going to come no matter what other ideas you might have. The only question is: when?

"A man who won't die for something isn't fit to live." -MLK

by gjohnsit on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 01:07:11 PM PST

•  A revolution would be awesome.... (2+ / 0-)
        malharden, Zero Carb Rob

....but not a revolution of bullets and violence, but of ballots. A revolution of how people percieve the economy and their function in it, the realization that the economy portrayed in our textbooks is NOT the one we are living in.

"...if my thought-dreams could be seen, they'd put my head in a guillotine...."

by lams712 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 12:10:04 PM PST

•  Agreed (2+ / 0-)
          Devilstower, lams712

My own work is in that regard, generally.  Although I prefer the term "embiggenment" (kind of an "enlightenment, part w".

It's slow work, but it's there.

Changing the perception of a society that is inundated with illusions of the joys of excessive wealth is not an easy task...nor a particularly well paid one.  ;-)

•  You have to ask though... (2+ / 0-)
        lams712, brklyngrl

.. whose going to be quicker to come to violence? The protestors or the government?

When I look and see what happens at most protests it's the cops doing the heavy damage. It's not protestors who have a martial law plan in place if the working grunts get disgruntled.

"Man, I'm not playing for $100 grand...YOU ARE! You tell ME where the fish is!!"

by Zero Carb Rob on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 12:12:14 PM PST