View Diary: Action: Please help our soldiers get the truth (175 comments)

•  Read all of my earlier diaries, (0+ / 0-)

all linked in the main story. Plenty of details there.

Read all the links in all the diaries, too.

If you still have questions about why I think open side-by-side testing is needed, I will be happy to answer them.

P.S.: The unit cost of Dragon Skin right now is about $4,500, versus, I understand, about $1,000 or so for Interceptor. I suspect mass production would quickly bring that cost down.

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. - Justice William O. Douglas

by occams hatchet on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 04:21:37 PM PST

•  I agree...but, (0+ / 0-)

I remember reading that many of the troops families, support back home had already bought them the Dragon Skin Armor & they had it in Iraq.

They were ordered NOT to use it!

I remember, reading of Officers upset that they had to enfore these "NEW RULES".

I'm stilll looking for direct quotes.
      Sorry, I can't back it up, yet.

Qui tacet consentire viditur. Who remains silent appears to consent. "Go out and raise hell" dearly beloved Molly Ivins

by Thought I Was last Screamin Liberal on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 04:29:45 PM PST

•  See (0+ / 0-)

my January and April diaries, and follow the appropriate links.

Hope that helps.

by occams hatchet on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 04:34:16 PM PST

•  I did see that Discover Cheannel show... (0+ / 0-)

On testing Dargon Skin Armor!
          It was on that night or the day after...they even tested for a granade.
          ie: dummie on top of a granage in Dragon Skin.
          I'm not a DR. or in military...but I'd be sending that frotage to everyone & everyone in Congress, and the Media.
          I'd personally call Jack Mertha office to start the battle.
          But, if it's on tv...why don't our boys have it?!

by Thought I Was last Screamin Liberal on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 07:49:59 PM PST

•  The reason they were ordered not to use it (0+ / 0-)

Is because the company that produced the Dragon Skin refused to submit the body armour to the Army for testing.

The ARmy was not going to authorize rogue gear in threater that had not and (the company had refused to submit) their product for ballistic testing.

They Brass (Rumsfeld) skewed up in the beginning by sending alot of the Reserve units with the equipment they had on hand and did not provide them with the current version of the Saper plates.  However, alot of people have worked hard to overcome that directive and since November, 2003 there has been a process in both equipment units for deployment and also replenishing equipment in theater called RFI (Rapid Fielding Initiative).

Unleash the potential to make a difference

by totallynext on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 04:50:13 PM PST

•  So they are 4.5 times as expensive. (0+ / 0-)

Thanks.

•  But, that was probably per unit price. (1+ / 0-)
        occams hatchet

Individuals are always going to pay a higher "retail" price.  If Dragon Skin holds up through a thorough, objective testing scheme, then it is entirely possible that the price could come down for a large order.  That is, provided BushCo allows price negotiations to occur.  And frankly, if it's better armor, I will gladly endure a tax hike if it means our troops have armor that gives them a better chance of coming home in one piece.

"Fighting Fascism is Always Cool." -- Amsterdam Weekly, volume three, issue 18

by Noor B on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 07:27:32 PM PST

•  Oh no you wouldn't. (0+ / 0-)

And neither would anyone else. Everyone would be like "Oh Noes! More Taxes!! I don't like taxes!"

•  The unit price would come way down. (0+ / 0-)

And, frankly, the $8.8 billion dollars that was loaded onto pallets and disappeared in Iraq under BushCheney's watch would've paid for Dragon Skin - even  at full retail - for every single soldier in theater in Iraq.

And that's just for starters. Disability treatments for wounded vets cost a lot more than body armor.

by occams hatchet on Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 09:21:54 PM PST

•  really? (1+ / 0-)
            occams hatchet

I don't think many people would have the nerve to oppose a measure to provide our troops with better body armor. At least not in public.

Justice will not come to Athens until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are. -Thucydides

by belindapope on Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 01:28:47 AM PST