View Diary: Blogs you should be reading (even if Markos isn't) (313 comments)

•  ok, which ones do you like (3+ / 0-)
    Panda, Steven D, la urracca

Here are a few I like, and read (in addition to digby, and huffington post, which I think are on kos' roll)

talk to action

You want to understand and know what is going on in the radical religious right? these people been there, done that and get it. I have found it a fascinating source to help me understand the roots and beliefs of people like Ted Haggard, David L Cunningham (director of path to 9/11) and the like.
    right now there's a great diary on Tim La Haye and the "left behind" series.

bradblog - http://www.bradblog.com/  This is the place to go to keep up on nationwide election integrity issues. Brad compiles and vets news from around the country. He's a kind of investigative/activist.

Can be too in-depth and geeky on legal and technical issues for those not deep into the issues, but is a great place to find out what is happening in your state or region as well as national issues.

Unfortunately his interesting reporting is obscured by a bizzarre orange on green color scheme.
    He says he's gonna change his default color scheme soon to a pleasant cream color, but for now I recommend clicking on the button right column to change it for yourself.

the victory has been as [Bush] promised: a swift liberation of a grateful Iraqi people, no terrorist outbreak, and no explosion of Arab rage. - D Horowitz -4/03

by biscobosco on Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 11:22:11 AM PST

•  oops (2+ / 0-)
      blueoasis, la urracca

sorry I missed that you had bradblog there.

or maybe you updated it? ohwell.

by biscobosco on Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 11:24:04 AM PST

•  bradblog is da bomb (1+ / 0-)
      la urracca
      he's forefront of all bloggers on the election integriy issue, and a damn nice guy, too!

even before skippy got the shaft on kos's roll, i thought kos was horribly remiss in not linking to bradblog.

skippy the bush kangaroo in blogtopia! and yes! we coined that phrase!

by skippy on Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 12:39:27 PM PST

•  Not having Bradblog listed is an absurd (4+ / 0-)
        skippy, biscobosco, Steven D, 417els

oversight, in my opinion.

Brad has done more than almost anyone else in bringing attention to election ( and election machine) irregularites.
        Lou Dobbb's coverage of voting machine problems was due to Brad's work.

What could be more politically important than that???!!!

•  I suspect (0+ / 0-)

it might have been dropped because Markos has a famously low tolerance for stolen-election stories.

I'm going to have to bookmark the "lost" blogs, I was lazy before.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 04:06:23 PM PST

•  yeah. and of course all election integrity (1+ / 0-)
            sidnora

people ever talk about is "stolen elections"
            and Al Gore invented the internet?:)
            </snark>

That's a claim that Brad Friedman never made. But of course that is the label that sticks. I believe it's because of all the great message discipline that the GOP showed on this topic (both in 2000 and 2004) no one wants to be labeled a 'sore loser' or a 'sissy' or a dread 'conspiracy theorist.'

IMHO elections integrity folk tend to be geeky people who got alarmed when they got a view into how "the system" operates. Most of the ones I know are systems engineers, social workers, etc. The kind of people who want to fix things.

And slowly, state by state, county by county. We are having modest success.

by biscobosco on Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 05:07:31 PM PST

•  Interesting (1+ / 0-)
              biscobosco

Looking back on my comment I realized that you might have interpreted it to mean that I am an election-integrity skeptic myself, and nothing could be further from the truth.

I have no problem with being labeled a conspiracy theorist on this topic. IANAG, but when I see the level of obstruction being practiced by those who stand to benefit from election theft, it's not hard to figure out that something's not kosher.

Interestingly, the person I know who's most involved in election integrity issues isn't really geeky at all. But she's done yeoman work on the issue here in NY, where we still haven't complied with HAVA. Thank God, it looks like we've been so tardy that even the most ignorant and/or unethical of our local election officials have gotten the message, and we're likely to end up with (reasonably) trustworthy machines.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 09:13:34 AM PST

•  yeah I did misinterpret (0+ / 0-)

Its just that it bugs me that at this site, there were a contingency of people who seemed to equate election integrity stuff with  "stolen elections"

I got to meet brad friedman the other night, and I talked to him about this issue.

yeah, geeks and idealists. and some idealist geeks.
                to care about election integrity, you need to care more about fairness than winning.

is your friend an idealist.

by biscobosco on Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 12:19:57 PM PST

•  I hadn't (1+ / 0-)
                  biscobosco

ever thought of her that way, but I guess yeah, she's an idealist. Not that she's unaware of the amount of sausage-making that goes on, but I think she believes that fairness promotes winning, and to some extent, so do I.

It's easier to think that way when you live in a one-party, deep-blue area, as we do. Our local political problems revolve around corruption much more than ideological differences, so any clean election here would be a victory for us.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 02:16:41 PM PST

•  fairness promotes winning (1+ / 0-)
                    sidnora

I'll drink to that!

That's my kind of thinking. I am an idealist geek. yeah I know about rodent hair, but still I'm gonna be on the side of making sure everyone gets to vote.

yeah, even  if it means a democrat loses. democrats have been known to steal votes on occasion as well :)
                    Though lately republicans seem to have the edge.

by biscobosco on Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 11:24:22 PM PST

•  democrats have been known to steal votes (1+ / 0-)
                      biscobosco

around here, for sure!

As I said, it's easy for me to take this position, since where I live Democrats almost always win. But that's all the more reason, IMO, for me to be a strong election-protection advocate; there's really no ideological downside to it, and there's tons of local-corruption-fighting upside.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:16:10 AM PST

•  just had another thought (1+ / 0-)
                        sidnora

I wanted to send your way. - cause I love the idea that "fairness promotes winning".  But truthfully it aint always the case.

But this is true I think:

Fair election systems allow for wins by honest candidates.

and

Unfair election systems promote wins by dishonest, or corrupt candidates

It is connected to "clean elections" (eliminating the influence of big money in elections).

I also think that fair election systems help promote the will of the people actually getting heard.

by biscobosco on Mon Feb 12, 2007 at 01:39:34 PM PST