View Diary: Salon: Obama Used to Be "Uppity" (353 comments)

•  Way to stereotype, bro. (3+ / 0-)
    Marek, ptmflbcs, corvo

Anti-intellectualism is just what we need to get another Republican in the White House.

"Just give me an easy life and a peaceful death" -The Sundays.

by Diaries on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:00:19 PM PST

•  stereotype? (0+ / 0-)

Did he not go to Harvard Columbia and prep school?

Anti-intellectualism? Hardly, I would love to see Obama flex his intellectual muscles, instead we get platitudes about hope and promises of universal health care, but not many details on how he will do it.

I was reading an interview with Obama where he all but admits he was a smug know it all when he was younger.

absolute freedom for one individual undoubtedly limits the freedom of another.

by jbou on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:06:31 PM PST

•  How many candidates are you aware of... (0+ / 0-)

who didn't go to high-caliber schools for undergraduate and/or graduate school?

How many candidates are you aware of who referred to themselves as bastions of humility in their younger days?

If you don't like Obama, that's cool - but attacking him by calling him "smug" is a pretty Republican way to go about it.

"Just give me an easy life and a peaceful death" -The Sundays.

by Diaries on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:09:36 PM PST

•  deal with the subject and stop hurling... (0+ / 0-)

attacks at me, I can call him smug and not sound like a republican.

BTW there is a candidate running for office who didn't got to prep school and graduated from a state school for undergrad and grad work,  name him.

absolute freedom for one individual undoubtedly limits the freedom of another.

by jbou on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:16:31 PM PST

•  I dealt with the subject... (2+ / 0-)
            wystler, JRG

you're still denying reality. You called him smug on the basis of his educational background. I pointed out this was a stereotype. You asked how, and pointed to the schools he attended, implying he could only have done so from a wealthy family. I pointed out implying someone was smug merely on the basis of his educational background was a stereotype, and furthermore noted how he likely attended through finaid - grants and loans - like the majority of Ivy League students did. Now you're implying I'm hurling attacks at you.

Go make up other excuses to paint Obama "smug" if you will. I'm not riding this merry-go-round any longer.

"Just give me an easy life and a peaceful death" -The Sundays.

by Diaries on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:29:28 PM PST

•  I was a smug know-it-all (1+ / 0-)
        JRG

when I was younger (who wasn't, really...I teach middle school - ask me!)

Now maybe I'm a smug know-it-all adult who will vote for Obama!

A little about me here. -8.63, -7.44

by sick of it all on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:14:29 PM PST

•  And by the way, by "stereotype" (9+ / 0-)

I was referring to your implication that his going Ivy League automatically meant he was "smug".

That is a stereotype. And that is anti-intellectualism. It's one of the smears frequently used to attack Democrats come election time - particularly with the (bullshit) stereotype of a "Massachusetts Liberal" etc etc. The last thing we need is members of our own party shooting us in the collective foot with Republican talking points.

"Just give me an easy life and a peaceful death" -The Sundays.

by Diaries on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:16:09 PM PST

•  oh yes, it's unusual for a black person to be an (4+ / 0-)
        cosbo, pHunbalanced, ptmflbcs, Diaries

intellectual .. NOT .. check out every other Senator's background for comparison.

Look, calling Obama smug in a diary or post at dailykos is one thing, but on the front page of Salon, it's just about as bad as uppity in my book.

I'm not defending Obama because I'm a fan .. Obama is last on my list just about ..

Conflating the word smug, {after just being called uppity} as appropriate on the front page of Salon is a step beyond, it smacks of backhanded racism.

The knives are out for Barack, that is for damn sure.

Not that it couldn't be predicted, but that it comes from Salon, of all places .. it is disgustingly transparent bullshit.

Can we survive furious George's 'Quest For Stupidity'TM?

by shpilk on Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:23:01 PM PST