View Diary: As if '08 Republicans need more bad news... (327 comments)

•  Actually, I think it shows that more Atheist (11+ / 0-)

need to come out of the closet

"For me, walking into a nice Jewish deli IS a religious experience." -my mom

by ETinKC on Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 01:18:41 PM PST

•  I'm out, I'm proud (6+ / 0-)

and I'm anonymous.

Oh.  Wait.  Nevermind.

•  Come on out - it is a little cold out here (3+ / 0-)
        dnamj, bittergirl, znost

right now but we are working on getting it warmer.   It is actually kind of fun to come out to my co-workers.  As a strait white male who grew up in an upper socio-economic background - who would have thought I would have had to deal with prejudice (okay I am jewish - but only by ethnic background - not a believer).  Many refuse to believe me, but mostly they never met someone who is openly Atheist, and it does good to destroy their misconceptions about us -- also help to explain the weekly goat sacrifices I keep inviting them too.

"For me, walking into a nice Jewish deli IS a religious experience." -my mom

by ETinKC on Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 01:32:26 PM PST

•  I'm actually pretty out in real life (1+ / 0-)
          lemming22

too.  It's mostly just that religion doesn't come up at the office much.  It's not a very chatty place.  Friends and family have known where I stand for years, and most of them are pretty much of the same opinion, though there are a few holdout agnostics in the bunch.

•  for most it's considered common... (0+ / 0-)

..courtesy not to talk about religion or politics with people who arne't close to you.

But then common courtesy and common sense aren't nearly as common as they aught to be.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. - John Lennon "Imagine"

by a dumb dreamer on Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 03:09:39 PM PST

•  On the other hand, (2+ / 0-)
          averybird, lemming22

while I certainly don't think anyone should feel compelled to hide their religious beliefs (or lack thereof), I get annoyed at people who go around yammering about their religion in contexts where it's not relevant.

So I figure that applies to me, too.

Churchill quote:  "Sensible men are all of the same religion."  Asked what religion that was, he reportedly said, "Sensible men never tell."

•  See I current live in the midwest (1+ / 0-)
            averybird

and the FIRST questions I got asked at work was if I had found a "home".  Thought he meant an apartment but he was inviting me to his church.  Basically I get annoyed at people who go around yammering about their religion in contexts where it's not relevant every day, and found that if I don't speak up, they take my silence as agreement.

In addition, I love to talk politics, may not be PC, but find it much more interesting, revealing and relevant then sports or pop culture.  And these days, religion is very relevant when it comes to politics.

"For me, walking into a nice Jewish deli IS a religious experience." -my mom

by ETinKC on Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 01:56:37 PM PST

•  I'm atheist, although... (0+ / 0-)

...I don't make a big deal about it.  I really don't care either way, although I do like the Conservative Jewish services I've attended.

9-11 changed everything? Well, Katrina changed it back.

by varro on Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 02:04:22 PM PST

•  My workplace is highly atheist (3+ / 0-)
      taonow, bittergirl, terafnord

many people from China, and it's a science research lab. Many, like me, just find the while question of religion to be too distracting from the things we actually ARE interested in.

That said, I am not anti-religion, but in many cases I am anti-church, and pretty much disgusted with the behavior of the evangelists, who have zero in common with the philosophy of Christ, as far as I can tell.

If Christians acted like Christ on the whole, I would be all for it. Right now "christ-like" generally means "liberal" if you take actions into account.

You can't get away with the crunch, 'cuz the crunch always gives you away

by dnamj on Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 02:41:57 PM PST

•  I'm out! And so are most of my friends. (0+ / 0-)

Most of my friends and co-workers are at least agnostic, or raised under a certain religion but completely non-practicing.  And many are simply atheist, like myself.  And, yes, I live and work in NYC.  ;)