View Diary: Lieberman: "I'd Walk Three Miles to Support a Stupid War!" (306 comments)

•  Sure, But I Think You'll Agree... (0+ / 0-)

...that his personal religious choices in determinining when to vote and when not to vote have significant political effects.

And it this case, whether or not he voted had no material effect, so this appears to be completely gratuitous.  That being the case, why doesn't he always vote on Saturday?

The revolution will not be televised, but we'll analyze it to death at The Next Hurrah.

by Dana Houle on Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 01:05:54 PM PST

•  it'd be useful if, as part of this discussion, (0+ / 0-)

we could look at what lieberman has and hasn't voted on on saturdays during his senate career. unfortunately, i don't know how to look up voted by day of the week.

"Be radical, be radical, be not too damned radical." - Whitman [-4.50, -5.79]

by DemHillStaffer on Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 01:09:18 PM PST

•  I Was Thinking the Same Thing (0+ / 0-)

And like you, I don't know how'd I'd look it up.

by Dana Houle on Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 01:11:56 PM PST

•  and thus ends the conversation (0+ / 0-)

for lack of evidence or willingness to spend hours pouring over voting records to make a minor point :)

"Be radical, be radical, be not too damned radical." - Whitman [-4.50, -5.79]

by DemHillStaffer on Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 01:15:35 PM PST

•  Good for Lieberman (2+ / 0-)
          TiaRachel, Emet

Until they start voting on Sunday, I don't care how Lieberman has voted on any given Saturday, and I find it appalling that people are trying to score points by bringing this up.

I am actually glad now that Lieberman walked to the Capitol to vote his conscience. Good for him to decide that his service to America was more important than his religious conflicts. Good for him that he accommodated the (Christian) Democratic leadership in doing so - even though they forgot to think about the fact that America is a multi-cultural society and that some people in their ranks have a holy day on Saturday.

This would be the same if the House had called a vote on Saturday and Ellison had shown up and voted his conscience. Only here, presumedly, the right-wing bloggers would be raking him over the coals for his dual loyalties, etc. I bet even some of the more astute right-wingers would be throwing around quotes from the Koran to smear Ellison.

So, smear away. I consider them to be nothing but bigoted cheap shots.

•  Bullshit (1+ / 0-)
            bree

I'm not glad at all that Lieberman "voted his conscience" if his conscinece tell him he can't vote on Saturdays except to vote against allowing an up-or-down vote on a non-binding resolution and when a non-vote had the same meterial effect of the vote he cast.  His vote was a gratuitous cheap shot.  And if you think this post was a cheap shot, you don't know how to read.

As for Ellison, wtf are you talking about?  Has Ellison made a big deal about not voting on Saturdays, or are you just using bullshit bigoted talking points from Virgil Goode?  What does Keith Ellison have to do with what Joe Lieberman says about how his faith effects how he dispatches his official duties?  In fact, I see no evidence that Ellison has said he won't vote on Saturdays, so you're full of shit in trying to create an equivalency where none exists.

by Dana Houle on Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 02:16:05 PM PST

•  Come on, it's an analogy about Ellison... (0+ / 0-)

and the point made about Lieberman and his religion is about as low as the Barack Hussein Obama jokes on Faux News.

Why don't you address my point instead, that this is all an issue because America is not multi-cultural enough to leave these aspects aside when religious minorities accommodate the majority society by working on their holy days.

•  Why Not Address What I Wrote... (0+ / 0-)

...instead of arguing against red herrings?  When you do that, I'll address what you want to argue about (which has nothing to do with what I wrote).

by Dana Houle on Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 03:15:09 PM PST

• Recommended (126)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (50)
  • Environment (38)
  • Elections (36)
  • Media (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Jeb Bush (28)
  • Culture (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Iraq (25)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • LGBT (16)
  • Health Care (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site