View Diary: Welcome New Users (Baker's Dozen) 2/23/07 (48 comments)

•  Thoughts for new users (7+ / 0-)

One thing to keep in mind (and, perhaps, ek, this should be in your series) is the difference between reading a long thread in a blog and most other forms of reading.

When you read a thread, you are reading multiple conversations at once.  This is weird.  The internet, particularly blogs, are the ONLY place I know where you have to do this.

Plus, they aren't linear.  So, if I comment in a particular subthread, and then, 5 minutes later in another subthread, in MY HEAD the first comment is OUT before the second.  But people who are READING may read the second comment first.  This got me into real trouble way back when in one of rserven's diaries on sexual identity, in which, because I didn't keep this in mind, it APPEARED like I was a homophobic jackass.  Luckily Robyn is a patient person and we worked it out.  But it was a close thing.

Another thing that I am curious about: When threads get very long and involved, it's hard (even with comment indenting) to figure out who is responding to whom.  Any hints?

A third thing: Intramural friendships and enmities.  A lot of people have been here a long time.  Some are friends and some are enemies.  Sometimes what seems like hostility is teasing; and sometimes what seems like an innocent remark ignites a flame war.  Any hints?  A guide to the clan?

A great series....I've been here a year, posted about 8000 comments and 200 diaries, and I always learn something

What are you reading? on Friday mornings
    What have you got to learn? (or teach) on Saturdays

by plf515 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:08:53 PM PST

•  Time Stamps... (3+ / 0-)
      CSI Bentonville, plf515, godislove

are very important to the proper interpretation of a conversation.  When people go racing for the margin I find that the Parent button often helps unconfuse me.

•  Slap self on head (2+ / 0-)
        ek hornbeck, CSI Bentonville

and say DOH, plf!

Sheesh!  I NEVER thought of using the time stamps

What are you reading? on Friday mornings
        What have you got to learn? (or teach) on Saturdays

by plf515 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:20:43 PM PST

•  Time stamps AND... (2+ / 0-)
          ek hornbeck, plf515

as ek says, the parent link is invaluable and it helps if confused to click parent, open into new tab/window which will show not just the comment being responded to but also bring back indentation if the comments have hit the margin (plus you don't lose where you were in the original thread/window/tab though I have tips for that too).

As far as friends/enemies sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask for clarification but often what's best is to just sit back and watch a bit which often allows it to come into clarity.

Mais, la souris est en dessous la table, le chat est sur la chaise et le singe est... est... le singe est disparu! -- Eddie Izzard

by CSI Bentonville on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:29:35 PM PST

•  How do you get parent to open in a new window? nt (1+ / 0-)
            ek hornbeck

What are you reading? on Friday mornings
            What have you got to learn? (or teach) on Saturdays

by plf515 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:32:10 PM PST

•  Right Mouse (2+ / 0-)
              CSI Bentonville, plf515

Open in New Window.

I think even IE will do it.

•  Or on a Mac (1+ / 0-)
                ek hornbeck

ctrl open in new window although mousing over the link then hitting apple then the mouse button will get you a new tab in Safari (but tabs have to be turned on in Safari). Or apple, "T" will get a new tab and then a url can be posted in but that requires copying the link...

Just saying there's usually a lot of different ways to get to the same place. :)

by CSI Bentonville on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:41:56 PM PST

•  Way cool! n/t (2+ / 0-)
                ek hornbeck, CSI Bentonville

What are you reading? on Friday mornings
                What have you got to learn? (or teach) on Saturdays

by plf515 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:42:59 PM PST

•  Oooh, you know what else? (3+ / 0-)
                monkeybiz, ek hornbeck, plf515

Comments have a number assigned to them like your Tip Jar (in this diary) is #1. Mousing over the time stamp should tell you what number the comment is which is also the last number in the URL of the comment which gives some idea of when it was posted relative to other comments. Mousing over the parent link should tell one what number the parent is.

Plus one can always go to someone's comment page to see what order they posted particular comments.

by CSI Bentonville on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:45:11 PM PST

•  You are very clever. (2+ / 0-)
                  CSI Bentonville, plf515

Figure out 1010+ yet?

•  No! (2+ / 0-)
                    sardonyx, ek hornbeck

I was hoping for an email but failing that I was going to try googling it but just cause I understand a t-shirt doesn't mean I really understand binary. Just the concept. If it were my world it would be base 4.

~~~~

Currently trying to decide on an internet provider. Mine is moving with short notice (like yesterday hence the lack of hours). Currently there's the cable, phone or verizon which has a $9.99 deal (net only) for the first 3 months with $19.99 for months 4-12, one year contract... $79 to buy out. Haven't figured the math all out yet.

by CSI Bentonville on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:52:06 PM PST

•  Fire up... (2+ / 0-)
                      sardonyx, CSI Bentonville

your binary to hex calculator.  Cable is very nice, very expensive and no more private than the next.  DSL of any type can require phone filters, but is plenty fast.  Cheaper is better unless one is superior privacy-wise.

Don't auto install, manual install.

•  hmmmm (2+ / 0-)
                        ek hornbeck, CSI Bentonville

1010 = 10 which in hex is A....

I am missing something

What are you reading? on Friday mornings
                        What have you got to learn? (or teach) on Saturdays

by plf515 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:59:36 PM PST

•  Right... (1+ / 0-)
                        ek hornbeck

I'm sure my b2h calculator is somewhere.

~~~~

excuse me while I go look up hex...

and how do I manual install?

by CSI Bentonville on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 07:16:25 PM PST

•  They'll give you a CD. (1+ / 0-)
                          CSI Bentonville

You can probably use it as a coaster.  For single user you can usually just plug right in (you'll want a hardware firewall in there, a "router" is $20).  Sometimes there will be 2 or 3 Networking Settings to change and directions to do so.  Follow the directions.

•  Thank you for the warm fuzzies (1+ / 0-)
                            ek hornbeck

Feels good that you care.

I'm afraid I'm running out of time and will need to go for the evening soon but will do my best to be 'round for the morning offering. I have a lot of hints and ideas (in case you haven't noticed). In fact I figured on out just yesterday that's really cool and will realy appeal to you.

by CSI Bentonville on Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 07:30:24 PM PST

•  Y'know (1+ / 0-)
                        ek hornbeck

I didn't even think of trying hex magic on that. Silly me. Very nice.

I still like my completely off-the-wall first impression. Think ballet. :)